Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 03:54 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Oh no, I took a vacation to Scotland and I forgot to golf! Not sure if the OP is joking about golf, I don't even remember seeing a golf course...oh and also forget the tour package, just get a rental car and drive around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 05:21 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
But it's not the entire east coast is it?
No it is not but someone saying give the east coast a miss when 3 out of 4 of Scotlands major cities are on the east coast. And also Fife, Perth and Perth-shire (beautiful btw) AND Edinburgh!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:50 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
No it is not but someone saying give the east coast a miss when 3 out of 4 of Scotlands major cities are on the east coast. And also Fife, Perth and Perth-shire (beautiful btw) AND Edinburgh!
Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Peterhead

I would give Peterhead a body swerve.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:53 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Oh no, I took a vacation to Scotland and I forgot to golf! Not sure if the OP is joking about golf, I don't even remember seeing a golf course...oh and also forget the tour package, just get a rental car and drive around.
There is plenty of golf but it isn't 'in your face'. In fact, and IMHO, the local courses are more fun and much cheaper than the famous ones.

If you go to Scotland in June, the days last from 5.00am to 11.00pm. Plenty of time for a round of golf before breakfast and then the tourist thing for the rest of the day

Old 01-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Peterhead

I would give Peterhead a body swerve.
Who mentioned Peterhead? That is where you go if you want fish and heroin lol.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Of the millions who visit Scotland every year I'm sure only a small minority to go there to golf. Even if they do, the weather might not be so kind to them!

Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
"give east coast a miss"

Edinburgh is in the east coast lol.
Yep, I know that. But it is a city and I meant the coast. For goodness sake, I lived near Glasgow for 5 years and visit Edinburgh every year so you think I might know that !?!?!

I can even tell my left from my right....

And I reiterate I would give the East Coast a miss unless you have plenty of extra time. I am sorry but the East Coast does not have the scenic beauty of the Western Highlands and Islands. Edinburgh is on the coast but is not the coast. You know very well what I meant so there was no need to be flippant. I love Perthshire and even bits of Aberdeenshire but it is hardly Argyle or Skye, or the Hebrides in terms of beauty. And if you love the ocean as I do a brown mess is not my idea of beauty.

Of course there are plenty of interesting sites on the East Coast but when time is limited then the West Coast IMO is where to head towards.

Oh and and Edinburgh in not in the East Coast but on it if we are going to play the semantics game.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Favorite New Year's Eve EVER: Hogmanay in Edinburgh in 1974. These days you have to buy tickets, but back then it was more spontaneous.

We don't golf.
Spent 10 days in Scotland in the late 90's and it is still one of my top ten trips.
We did a lot of the usual touristy stuff, self-guided whisky tour, heavy on the castles because I love them and so did our then-9-year old, and one Highland Game, but we also drove quite far up the northwest coast.

We chanced upon a sheepdog trial and auction that were both impressive and just plain fun.
The drive up Applecross Peninsula is breathtaking, Inverewe Gardens (with its subtropical plants, all outdoors) was well worth it.

We ate delicious salmon and lamb.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Definitely ditch the tour. Rent a car and head north! It's a spectacularly beautiful country.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 AM

Mooseketeer calm down! I know you know your left from right, I know you know where Edinburgh is, I am just saying Edinburgh, Perth-shire, Dundee, Aberdeen, Perth, Fife, St Andrews, Scone, Berwick-upon-Tweed etc are all on the east coast. I know the west coast is stunning, but have you seen parts of Perth-shire, equally beautiful IMO. All I am saying is the whole of Scotland is breathtaking and beautiful. Yeah I'll give you the west coast, Skye etc is hard to beat but if you are coming to Scotland on holiday places on the east coast are worth the trip also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel