Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

As much as we all moan and groan about traffic jams and highway pile-ups, most Americans would be lost without their wheels. Can you imagine The Beatles singing, "Baby, you can't drive my car ... " ?

But for those who prefer hoofing to steering, here's a list of the top 5 places in America where wheels aren't welcome:

Top 5 places your car isn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
It's nice to know that the car is not king everywhere.

They'll be closing part of, and eventually all of, the road by Stonehenge over here.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:04 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
That's pretty cool. A little retro escape would be nice from time to time.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
I'm surprised they didn't include the grandaddy of no-car places ... Mackinac Island, Michigan.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:00 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
That Hike Inn place looks pretty cool. I may have to check it out next time I'm back home in Atlanta.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:34 PM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Venice is almost exclusively non car and I love it for that.

Last edited by Jezer; 12-30-2011 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
How did the article fail to mention Mackinac Island, Michigan. There might be a few cares on Isle Royale, Michigan, too, but they would belong to the National Park Service or lodge outfitters.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:15 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
It's nice to know that the car is not king everywhere.

They'll be closing part of, and eventually all of, the road by Stonehenge over here.
I agree that the car culture has taken over but as someone who is disabled places which do not allow cars at all tend to be no go areas for me. I am not in a wheelchair but walking around is actually bad for my physical health and causes me great pain and discomfort.

We were in Bruges over the Christmas period, and I am glad that even though some areas are pedestrianised and parking restricted I was still able to drive to the places I wanted to be .

The world becomes a no-go zone when you are disabled if you can't access certain areas. So car restriction is something I approve of in a lot of situations but provisions have to be made for the lesser able to still enjoy those places.

I used to trek the world and still want to travel as much as I possibly can but now I have to chose my places really carefully.

I will be in Dubrovnik in May and I know that going around the old town is going to be hell for me because it is all pedestrianised. Heaven for able tourists perhaps but for me a huge undertaking meaning a lot of severe pain and discomfort. I know it will take me a week to recover from the pain alone.

One can have medieval towns which are still full of character and do not feel like a motorway and still have limited access for certain people for example.

Avignon, Sarlat, Tallinn, Edinburgh etc... all perfect examples of what a proper balance looks like.

If the infrastructure is already there then I do not see why I am not able to access even wilder places or Islands for example. The Island of Iona which I was lucky enough to visit because of my Husband's work does not allow even disabled drivers onto the Island even though it would cause minimum disruption ( the locals all have cars and the ferry is a car one) . It now means people like myself are basically persona non grata on the Island and I find it offensive.

I was told a lift could be organised to the Abbey. Well thank you but the Abbey is not why I wanted to visit. A car gives you freedom and the spontaneity to stop where and when you want. Basically I have been told my kind is not welcome.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'm surprised they didn't include the grandaddy of no-car places ... Mackinac Island, Michigan.
Also North Captiva Island off Florida's coast, Cumberland Island off Georgia's coast.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Catalina Island is one of the places mentioned. Airplanes aren't particularly welcome there either. The runway is 3000 feet, which is a bit short but doable. The last 2300 feet though have a sharp downslope and aircraft at one end of the runway can not see the other end. You won't be able to rent a plane to fly there unless you get an endorsement from a flight instructor who goes with you one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel