Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 PM

181 posts, read 357,056 times

Advertisements

Have you rented a car one way and gotten a great deal? I'd like to hear about it. Make sure to include time of year and rental company!

We are planning a trip to WV/MD for skiing (from FL) this Feb and would like to drive one way to visit family that lives inbetween. I tried several (expedia, carrentalmamma, budget directly) and can't find a 10-day rental for under $750. Mostly due to either huge rental rates or as much as a $400 drop off fee and this is for a standard size car.

If we can't keep the car rental under $500ish we may cut visiting family and just fly home.... or maybe just drive up to Gatlinburg (11inch of snow per year compared to Wisp in MD with 110in per year!).

Now that I realize how expensive one way car rental is, I am interested in the deals!! Especially those to/from FL, TN, NM.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I have found it cheaper to buy on Craigslist and sell at departure. Best to take a NON-rust (TX / NM car) and sell in MD/VA. There are many models that have great and fast resale.

I have also been known to buy a beater ($100) and drive it to destination and leave at the airport.

Another option is to check with rental company on need to relocate their cars

Also some folks who move will PAY you to drive their car one way.

Time of yr?... in winter I tend to buy / sell 4x4 or AWD (from sunny to winter location).

In summer I will do a sports car / motorcycle.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:28 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
I got a Email from Hertz last year it more or less say'ed what in this newsday art: Cheap one-way car rentals from Florida

I used it when i took a cruise last year, took the bus to Miami, with my son from atlanta, took the hertz deal to drive back to atlanta.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMor2Day View Post
Have you rented a car one way and gotten a great deal? I'd like to hear about it. Make sure to include time of year and rental company!

We are planning a trip to WV/MD for skiing (from FL) this Feb and would like to drive one way to visit family that lives inbetween. I tried several (expedia, carrentalmamma, budget directly) and can't find a 10-day rental for under $750. Mostly due to either huge rental rates or as much as a $400 drop off fee and this is for a standard size car.
February is WAY TOO EARLY for the cheap one-way rentals out of Florida.

After spring training (and after Easter break), the rental car companies rent cars one-way out of Florida from between $3-10/ day for a maximum of ten days. There are some restrictions. For example, Avis requires a drop in the Mid-atlantic states while Alamo and Hertz will not. There is no drop off charge. I cannot quote rates as each year, the deals are different depending on the vehicles available. These deals are generally from April 1 to June 30th, but that can vary by year and agency.

As for driving some one's vehicle, that is doubtful. Most reputable auto transport companies put your car on a truck. Most owners don't want to see their cream-puff miled up.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:47 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Actually there are one way drive-away legit companies. I did that and all I had to do was pay for the gas, be insured and deliver it clean to destination point. Got a real nice new car, given 10 days to get it from Kentucky to AZ.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 PM

181 posts, read 357,056 times
Thanks for your ideas. I'll definetly check out that article and keep an eye out in the spring for specials out of FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel