Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:00 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times

Advertisements

That place looks great - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 AM

134 posts, read 329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I love Sanibel and Captiva Islands. South Seas Plantation on Captiva has plenty of recreational activities, but is on the high end price-wise. We've stayed at Tortuga Beach also, great location. My niece loves Tween Waters Inn. The big draw on Sanibel and Captiva is the amazing shelling,

Another nice spot is Marco Island. The usual name hotels are there along the beach, but our favorite spot is Tiger Tail beach, where they have tidal pools just teeming with aquatic life.
+1 for Sanibel/Captiva. Especially in July, it's considered dead there so no long waits for restaurants or overcrowded beaches. My wife and I have been going there yearly since 2008 and last year we went in July and while it was very hot, it was also not crowded and the water was SOOOO warm it felt like a slightly heated pool and was great.

While not all inclusive, we love Oceans Reach Resort. Direct oceanfront and has a nice little boardwalk with feet wash before you get to the condos. It's like 20 steps out of the bottom units to the beach. Very quiet place and great staff.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:52 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
Sanibel, hands down~but warning you it will be very hot and humid. No chain restaurants, several new ones to try. Laid back, quiet and old island feel. PM me for suggestions of where to stay and eat. We've been going annually for 25 years and have some great recommendations for places to check out.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:15 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
The Gasparilla Inn and Club on Gasparilla Island. You may even run across George Bush and his wife while staying there in July (the older ones)
It is quite, quaint and historic. I like it for just a weekend away from all the noise.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Thanks, people. Looks like we're between the Island Inn on Sanibel and Tween Waters on Captiva. Nonstop flight access was a big consideration, especially for a 4-5 day trip. Both locations have the low-key vibe with the preferred amenities and a reasonable price.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Loved Captiva. The wildlife was amazing. Good shelling, too.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 567 times
We have been going to Siesta Key Beach in Sarasota FL for many years. The beach itself is the best around, and it isn't just me saying that...they've won awards for their beach. It's not all that commercialized. There is parasailing, jet ski rental, bike rentals, and maybe even still the big trike looking thing with huge tires that you pedal in the water up closer to the beach but outside the swimming area. There are many restaurants in the area. The old Salty Dog is down in the village, along with the best place for breakfast, The Broken Egg (this is the one that Dick Vitale frequents when he's in town...he was even at the table beside us one time...signing his books. Now, it's true it can be hot and humid in summer, BUT, there is ALWAYS a gentle cooling breeze off the Gulf when you're out on the beach. True, we usually go in winter, but have been once or twice in summer. There is an Open Deck Daquiri bar or whatever that serves up grub when you're hungry. If the weather is nice, you can sit out on their covered deck and eat.

We almost always stayed at the Jamaica Royale condominiums on Midnight Pass Road. They have 1 and 2 bedroom garden apartments, along with the 2 tower buildings. Supposedly there is free wifi available there now, but I couldn't get it to work for me, but I'm not an expert at that type of thing.

Jamaica Royale has security guards on the premises. They have covered parking available too. For "entertainment" ther is the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens near by (very very nice, lots of photo ops), and there is Jungle Gardens close by also. If you want to take a day trip to Shell World on which would be on your way as you drive down to Sanibel Island, it's a pretty neat place to visit, especially your first time around (I bought a small lamp with clear glass base and filled it with all the shells I've collected from the beaches over the years). There is also the (sorry can't quite recall the exact name) Ringling Museum. It boasts lots of paintings and the best part, imho, was the miniature carnival display..which is not all "that" miniature. It's inside and I just adored it.

The ONLY reason we haven't stayed there the past 2 times we've been here is because I have a 6 yr old Shih Tzu named Molly, whom I refuse to leave behind for one or 2 months at a time. The Jamaica Royale will allow dogs IF you own the condo. It does have 3 heated pools (but the one up by the beach is always cold..it's in perpetual shade and there is always a strong breeze through there from the Gulf).

There are wonderful eateries in Sarasota itself, too. We love Mi Pueblo, out close to Palm Aire Country Club. And Sweet Tomatoes on Tamiami Trail is wonderful! And on Siesta Key in the village is a place run by brothers from New Jersey...a pizza place. It's sooo good...not quite sure of the spelling but it's something like Solanzaros Brothers. I'm sure I've butchered the spelling of their name though. They even have a place outside to eat and you can have your 4 legged baby with you Love the pizza with pretty much everything including meatballs..omg they're to die for! I've been craving a New York (true authentic..NOT New York Style) pizza for ever so long, and this one comes very close. Hope this has helped you. Jamaica Royale is, or was the last time I checked, online for making reservations.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Don Cesare on St Pete Beach would be a memorable vacation..

Don CeSar Beach Hotel | St Pete Beach Hotel | Loews Hotels - Loews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel