Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Siam or Asia Minor?
Thailand 13 44.83%
Turkey 16 55.17%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

I've been to Thailand, since it's closer and cheaper, and while it's interesting, Turkey has always interested me more. The history, scenery, culture of Turkey just seems more interesting, and Instanbul has more history/soul than Bangkok. So if I hadn't been to any, I'd choose Turkey. I hope to go to Turkey very soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 01:14 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times
This is an impossible question to answer. I have toured both countries extensively spending over a month in each.

I can't choose one over the other because I love them both. My memories of Turkey are priceless but my memories in Thailand are also absolutely amazing so how am I to choose?

I love history so in Turkey I enjoyed historic Istanbul, Gallipoli, Ephesus near Selcuk, the ancient port city of Antalya and the surreal landscape of Cappadocia.

In Thailand it was more about the jungles of Chiang Mai, the buzz of Bangkok and the great islands of Koh Samui, Koh Tao, diving in the incredible Surins and Similans (did a 4 day liveaboard) and Koh Phi Phi...so primarily nature oriented.

But I will concur with you that Istanbul is fabulous, the grand bazaar is a place I want to go back to again so that I can buy some of the fantastic things I saw there...unfortunately my trip was part of a long journey and I could not buy stuff and didn't want to bother shipping it. I especially loved the Arabic calligraphy which I thought was very beautiful.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
K374, I have to agree.
Both countries are wondrous.

I'm currently spending a month in Thailand.

I really think this type of thread is quite silly.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:11 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,038 times
I was stationed in turkey for two years. I loved it. The food was excellent! The history and the ruins and beaches too. The local people ware great back in the early 90's. I have heard the Americans are not well liked there any more. Back then I would take the Dolmush into Adana and walk all over town don every street and neighborhood. I never felt unsafe.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
K374, I have to agree.
Both countries are wondrous.

I'm currently spending a month in Thailand.

I really think this type of thread is quite silly.
Haha I admit it is. They're just too different. Both should really be seen.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,719 times
have been to both but could easily live in Thailand. I love the food, the islands, the weather and the golf. I also have some good friends who have houses in Phuket so I could easily imagine living there. Turkey been a few times but it isn't really somewhere I want to go back to....

Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
I've been to both, I'd rather be in Turkey, especially at dinner time. The only thing about Thailand that I would prefer would be the hot climate and what little is left of the forest. Thailand is probably cheaper, too.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,494,606 times
Ive being to both countries several times, id prefer to spend my time in turkey given I had the time and money to do so.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,585,459 times
For me it'd be Turkey without hesitation and for all the reasons and more mentioned in this thread already.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've been to both, I'd rather be in Turkey, especially at dinner time. The only thing about Thailand that I would prefer would be the hot climate and what little is left of the forest. Thailand is probably cheaper, too.
I don't know--for the food it's six o' one, half dozen o' the other. I loved both countries but not equally--Turkey was so much more amazing than I expected and Thailand was less amazing than I expected, so it's hard to say but I'd go back to Turkey in a heartbeat. And yes I spent roughly an equal time in both--about a month in each. One note about Thailand is that I also spent a month in Vietnam right after Thailand and I loved it even more, but was a bit tired when we left b/c of all the anti-American sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel