Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,330 times

Advertisements

I just want to be clear, if I check in to a hotel they're going to put a hold on the card I give then for the full amount of my stay, plus an incidentals hold? What if I can't manage this? My situation is that I have to travel for work, I don't have any CCs, only my debit card, I'm checking in Tuesday checking out Friday. I can't cover the cost on Tuesday but I get paid via direct deposit on Friday, so there's no issue with actually paying just the timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 07:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankingeneral View Post
I just want to be clear, if I check in to a hotel they're going to put a hold on the card I give then for the full amount of my stay, plus an incidentals hold? What if I can't manage this? My situation is that I have to travel for work, I don't have any CCs, only my debit card, I'm checking in Tuesday checking out Friday. I can't cover the cost on Tuesday but I get paid via direct deposit on Friday, so there's no issue with actually paying just the timing.
Given this scenario you will not be allowed to check in. Tell your employer you need an advance on expenses.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:54 PM

2,126 posts, read 1,791,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankingeneral View Post
If your employer can't give you an advance, see if they have a corporate card that they can use to guarantee the reservation. The hotel should be able to send you a form to have your company fill out. If traveling is something that you may have to do often, see if you company will consider giving you a card for travel purposes.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:46 AM

368 posts, read 396,011 times
I'm unfamiliar with how holds work. If you choose to use a debit card rather than a credit card to check in and the hotel puts a hold on your debit card for a specific amount, does that freeze the entire account for the time being or just the amount that has been held? In other words, here's an example: say you have $500 dollars left in a checking account AFTER the hotel has already charged you for the room itself. It holds $300 dollars for incidentals. Would that mean that until the hold is cleared, you can only use the remaining $200 for the time being? Or is even that not accessible until all holds have cleared and the card has been authorized again?

Old 04-03-2015, 07:05 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Your checking account is not frozen. The $300 would be "frozen". And the hold usually takes a while after you check out to expire, as long as 1-2 weeks. It's never a good idea to use a debit card at a hotel (or similarly, a credit card that is close to its credit limit).

Old 04-03-2015, 08:02 AM

2,126 posts, read 1,791,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
I'm unfamiliar with how holds work. If you choose to use a debit card rather than a credit card to check in and the hotel puts a hold on your debit card for a specific amount, does that freeze the entire account for the time being or just the amount that has been held? In other words, here's an example: say you have $500 dollars left in a checking account AFTER the hotel has already charged you for the room itself. It holds $300 dollars for incidentals. Would that mean that until the hold is cleared, you can only use the remaining $200 for the time being? Or is even that not accessible until all holds have cleared and the card has been authorized again?
It also depends on your bank's policy which could vary for travel expenses. Some banks put a hold which means that the $300 is not available for you use. Some will just authorize the amount but the funds, this just means that at the time the hotel made the request you had at least $300 available but after the amount has been authorized you can access the funds.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,036 times
How about if I have made a reservation with the hotel with the card where I have insufficient amount (as it doesn't matter when you just make a reservation). Then there is a cancellation policy in that hotel and when you cancel the hotel manages to charge the cancellation penalty on that same card with insufficient amount. How does that happen, when I don't even have an overdraft on my card/account?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:07 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Odds are they would just eat it, if they can not charge you.

Also depends on the length of time between the reservation to when you were arriving, When you make the reservation they do a test hold on your account to ensure the credit card/Debit card is valid. That hold, has the estimated, one night stay, and stays as a credit/debit hold for 3-5 days.

They would flag your name/address in the database, so you could not make a reservation anywhere at, any hotel in the franchised system, ever again.

They could take civil action, or send it off to a collector to collect also.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilaBag View Post
How about if I have made a reservation with the hotel with the card where I have insufficient amount (as it doesn't matter when you just make a reservation). Then there is a cancellation policy in that hotel and when you cancel the hotel manages to charge the cancellation penalty on that same card with insufficient amount. How does that happen, when I don't even have an overdraft on my card/account?
The bank will still pay them, put your account into the negative, charge you an overdraft fee, send a demand letter, and possibly cause a bunch of checks to overdraft and charge fees for those as well.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 861 times
I rented a hotel room and gave them my credit card info and they have me an approval code does that mean its been paid already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel