U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:50 PM

26,590 posts, read 57,143,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
It depends on what country you're in. Some of the mainland European countries require it but I don't think the UK does.
I've always had to show my passport at UK hotels. The only ones I haven't are in Canada.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,728 times
If i purchased a hotel room online using my parents credit card do I need to have my parents credit card when I check in? Or can they fax a copy of their credit card and ID. Does that work?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 PM

31,304 posts, read 29,616,116 times
If a guest books a reservation for a special hotel room (say a ground floor or adjoining rooms) and holds it with a credit card weeks in advance of their travel, can the hotel give that room to someone else? Even if the guest holds a confirmation fax, what responsibility does the hotel have to this guest? Who can they dispute the problem with?

Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,718 times
If a pre authorisation 3rd party form is sent to the hotel. And i have explained to the hotel that I eill not be swiping I card when I get there, all charges are to be put on the card on the 3rd party form. Do they still put a hold on the funds?.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctotah View Post
If i purchased a hotel room online using my parents credit card do I need to have my parents credit card when I check in? Or can they fax a copy of their credit card and ID. Does that work?
Most hotels will allow the use of the card, but there is a form which needs to be filled out and faxed with a copy of their drivers license in advance. Call the hotel directly for details. Some won't allow it at all, but will allow you to pay cash when you arrive to cover the room rate and a deposit for incidentals.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
If a guest books a reservation for a special hotel room (say a ground floor or adjoining rooms) and holds it with a credit card weeks in advance of their travel, can the hotel give that room to someone else? Even if the guest holds a confirmation fax, what responsibility does the hotel have to this guest? Who can they dispute the problem with?
Almost every hotel has a disclaimer that requests aren't guaranteed. By the way, adjoining rooms don't connect, they are simply next to each other. If you want connecting you need to specify connecting.

Even if you book a specific suite, there's a slight chance you won't get it when you check in. in some states, it's illegal to evict a guest from a hotel, as long as they keep paying, even if the room is booked by another guest.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliciathatsme View Post
If a pre authorisation 3rd party form is sent to the hotel. And i have explained to the hotel that I eill not be swiping I card when I get there, all charges are to be put on the card on the 3rd party form. Do they still put a hold on the funds?.
Yes.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM

4,182 posts, read 3,966,541 times
What if I do not have a credit card and I decide to pay by cash. Regular chain hotels accept cash these days???

Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 AM

7,222 posts, read 6,067,487 times
Yes, but you will need to give them a cash deposit for incidentals.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:51 AM

797 posts, read 1,951,126 times
I once had a person get mad at me when I told them that I needed to hold their ID while they went and looked at a room. We did this b/c we had simply trusted someone to just look at a show room and they ended up stealing all the lamps out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel