U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:17 AM

4,186 posts, read 4,000,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Yes, but you will need to give them a cash deposit for incidentals.
But that deposit will be returned when you check-out/leave? Or somebody will inspect the room and then give deposit back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 AM

26,590 posts, read 57,390,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I once had a person get mad at me when I told them that I needed to hold their ID while they went and looked at a room. We did this b/c we had simply trusted someone to just look at a show room and they ended up stealing all the lamps out of it.
If I walked in off the street and asked to look at a room, I'd expect my ID to be held. If I was already a guest and wanted to see a different room, or if I were there to book a block of rooms and F&B services on a pre-arranged appointment, I would not expect to be asked for my ID.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
But that deposit will be returned when you check-out/leave? Or somebody will inspect the room and then give deposit back.
Yes. Keep in mind that if they require an inspection and you are trying to check out at a busy time, you might be forced to wait until there is a lull so someone can go check the room and make sure the furniture isn't glued to the ceiling.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 11,545 times
If I booked a room with my name over the phone and gave them a friends c/c number would I be able to go to the hotel with my friend and her c/c to use it as my holding card when I check in and pay with cash when I checkout?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM

And does the credit or debit card I use as the holding card have to have a certain amount of money on it?

Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 PM

36,452 posts, read 36,586,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Anyone who travels internationally without a credit card is a moron who I wouldn't want to rent a hotel room to. Seriously. Mastercard, Visa, AmeX, JCB, these are all internationally issued and accepted.
It is possible to pay with cash as long you are also prepared to give a large cash deposit for the hotel to hold until you check out. (This could double the amount of cash you need for your hotel stay in order to check in.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That does not make sense - At most international hotels you must show your passport.
For example in China, an international traveler must have a passport. Even you have a prior reservation and don't have your passport when you arrive at the hotel, they will not give you a room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
If it is a cash deposit it will be returned to you in cash when you check out of the hotel. If it is a hold on your credit card as already mentioned it will take several days to clear. (The exact amount of days depends on the credit card issuer as well as the hotel and the countries involved due to weekends and local holidays on either end of the transaction.) Remember also if you charge a hotel stay outside the USA to an American credit card, many banks will charge a 3% foreign transaction fee besides the actual cost of the hotel stay.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnKodi View Post
If I booked a room with my name over the phone and gave them a friends c/c number would I be able to go to the hotel with my friend and her c/c to use it as my holding card when I check in and pay with cash when I checkout?
The credit card would still be taken for incidentals at check in, or you'd be asked for a cash deposit. They generally don't care who's card is used on the reservation. If you'll be with the friend, why not just have them reserve the room in their name to begin with?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnKodi View Post
And does the credit or debit card I use as the holding card have to have a certain amount of money on it?
They will run it for $25-100 depending on the card. If that is rejected, you'll be asked for a cash deposit instead.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,833 times
well me and my friends reserved a room over the phone n used my mothers credit card for them to hold but when we go down there she wont be with us. does she have to be with us or can we use my boyfriends card and I.D.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 PM

The hotel I spoke to said the card I gave to them on the phone was just to reserve the room and that I can use whatever card I want for them to hold when I get there as long as the card belongs to someone that is with me. I just reserved a room with someones card that wont be with me either so I called and asked after I realized...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel