U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 08:05 AM

26,590 posts, read 57,143,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy perez View Post
thanks so thy charge my debit card nd take it out nd over draft my a****
They tell you how much of a hold they are placing. When you check in (you can call ahead to find out the amount). If you overdraft as a result, that isn't their fault--it's yours for not having the cash in the account to cover the hold that you are aware of.

If money is that tight, perhaps you should choose a less expensive hotel to stay in.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 8,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I've worked the front desk at a few hotels and I seem to get a lot of the same questions over and over so I thought that if I put some of the information on here that it may help someone somewhere. I'm going to hit on a few of the repeat offender questions on here and if you are also a hotel front desk person please feel free to add any tips or thoughts.
Also C/C = Credit Card and CXL = Cancel.
THX = Thanks

When you call in to reserve at room at a hotel you will get asked for a credit card number. Nothing will be charged on your card at this time. We only need to have a credit card number to hold your reservation in case you decide to no show for your reservation. Again there will not be anything processed on your card at this time.

When you come to check into the hotel we need a credit card and a photo ID. The names on the credit card and the photo ID need to match. This is done to fight credit fraud. Often people will say, "We'll I gave them the credit card over the phone or that their relative or friend put a Credit Card down on the room and thus why do we need a credit card?" Again it is all to combat credit card fraud. When we take a c/c over the phone for a reservation it is only to hold the room but now at the check in time. We need the card there physically in order to check you into the room.

Checking in
The hotel is going to put a HOLD not a charge on your card. The hold will most often be for the total cost of the room plus tax plus the hotels incidentals per night. In the hotels I have worked in the incidental hold is $50 per night. So if you are going to stay three nights the system is going to put a hold on your c/c for an additional $150 plus the room and tax. The incidentals cover a lot of different things. In the hotels I've worked in you can use your incidentals to charge back to the room, however they are also a deposit for the hotel in case someone does something like throwing a chair through the window. The incidentals are HOLDS not CHARGES. So let's say that you have a room reserved at $99 per night for three nights and the tax rate for the place you are staying is 12%. The system will go for an authorization of $482.64. That's three nights at $99 plus tax of $35.64 plus $150 for incidentals. I will get back to the incidentals on the check out.

Credit Vs Debit Card:
A credit and a debit card are NOT the same thing. A debit card is a card that is attached to your actual $$$$$$$ in the bank. Unless you are as rich as Donald Trump you are better to use an actual c/c upon check in instead of a debit card. As I mentioned before the hotels system is going to put a big HOLD on the card that you use to check in. Many people often get mad b/c this freezes a large amount of their actual $$$$$ in their actual bank acct. You can pay with your debit card when you leave the hotel. Use a Credit Card for the initial hold so that your actual $$$$$ in the bank doesn't have a hold on it and is not accesible to you.

Third party Credit Cards: (A credit card from a relative, friend, or Company)
If you are going to be using a credit card from a friend or company etc... you will need to have the hotel's credit card authorization form faxed in directly to the hotel. Most often this form requires you to scan the drivers license of the person to whom the card belongs to as well as the front and back of the credit card that will be used. The instructions will be on the credit card form. I can't speak for all hotels but as far as the one's I've worked at we can't simply TRUST YOU that the card that is on file is legit. The card and the person's name who is on the card need to physically be there or you will need a c/c authorization form to be faxed in with all the needed information. Again this is to combat C/C fraud so don't throw a tantrum to the front desk staff for making sure your c/c isn't a stolen one.

Checking out:
When you go to check out of the room you can pay w/ either a credit / debit card or cash. It can be a different card than the one you origionally used to check in. Once you pay the room and tax the hotels system will release the HOLDS that it put on your C/C that you used when checking in. These holds are also the incidentals that were held. Often the incidentals/holds will say PENDING on your C/C or bank acct. This timing for the holds to be released all depends on your individual bank. Some are faster at releasing them than others and this is especially true when there are holidays involved as banks are FOREVER closed on holidays. The holds will be released but again the timing all depends on your individual bank.

Online Travel Agents (Expedia, Travelocity, Kayak, etc........)
Even though you paid one of these travel agents for the room in the hotel the hotels front desk staff still needs a Credit card and photo ID upon checking you into the room. This will only be for the incidentals hold. This is done just in case you decide to get wasted and throw your room safe through the window. It's also so you can charge things like drinks, food, etc back to your room. If you do charge things they will be deducted from the incidentals charge upon check out time. However if you don't charge anything then the HOLDS put on your C/C for incidentals will simply be released upon your check out.

Please add in anything I missed. Have a good one my fellow City Data Peoples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
Hi,
I read this thread and it seems very relative to the query I have regrading the charges on my credit card after a week of ChekOut.
I was in Hotel for about 4 months and when I checked out there was no amount charged to my credit card other than the room rate. Then After a week I saw there was some amount charged $200 to my credit card and when I called that hotel asking why is that amount was charged then one receptionist conformed that Manger asked her to do so due to some damages. When I asked about what damages then she said the room was not sold and there were some stains on kitchen wall and it took a day to clean the room! And manger will be available after 3 days and then I can talk with Manger.

When I checked out I made sure there was no trash or garbage in the room it was almost like clean room ,the room was not dirty because just a day before entire hotel had a the service for all rooms through external vendor so as to clean carpet , sofa, and Drape with steamer.
Also, there were minimal stains in front of the stove where I use to cook, and as I remember there was a wallpaper on that wall where there were very few stains(Just few drops of cooking stuff).

What can I do for this issue now? since there was no Hold amount on my card when I checked out and when this $200 was charged no body even informed me before charging and if there were damages why didn't hotel manager informed me after I checked out immediately why after 1 week of my checkout date!!

Please let me know how can I resolve this matter?

Old 06-01-2013, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 8,231 times
I've got a situation similar to a previous post. One month ago, I stayed at a hotel that was booked though a 3rd party travel agency for that same day. Upon making the reservations, I stated that I do have a valid card but there is no money on the card. All i have is cash. The agency said no problem, just give the cash for the room to the front desk when you arrive. My room was booked. Now when i arrived, the front desk looked me up and said, "Okay, sir. Looks like your room is prepaid so you do not owe us anything. But we still need to see your card for the security deposit which is $50." So I deposit just enough for the deposit and when i came back another front desk rep looks me up and says the samething.. room is already prepaid, just need to hold $50 on card incase s**t happens. At this point, Im not sure wth is going on.. but im happy to finally have a room after waiting all night for one. Fast forward to checkout. Room is left almost untouched so no question on damages, etc. Then just today I checked my account and the hotel charged me $138 and also caused me to overdraft. Looking back on my card transactions, there was never any deductions for the room so its clear that I owed them money. However, Im a dude that just lost his job and is a first time dad to a 2 year old. I owed money to a hotel for a room I stayed at a month ago. Does the hotel have authorization to charge my card at this time when it was there own mishap? Im caught off guard and down $138 + overdraft fee suddenly due to something that should have been paid a month ago. Any advise or suggestions?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 AM

14,030 posts, read 20,248,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NishaMak View Post
Hi,
I read this thread and it seems very relative to the query I have regrading the charges on my credit card after a week of ChekOut.
I was in Hotel for about 4 months and when I checked out there was no amount charged to my credit card other than the room rate. Then After a week I saw there was some amount charged $200 to my credit card and when I called that hotel asking why is that amount was charged then one receptionist conformed that Manger asked her to do so due to some damages. When I asked about what damages then she said the room was not sold and there were some stains on kitchen wall and it took a day to clean the room! And manger will be available after 3 days and then I can talk with Manger.

When I checked out I made sure there was no trash or garbage in the room it was almost like clean room ,the room was not dirty because just a day before entire hotel had a the service for all rooms through external vendor so as to clean carpet , sofa, and Drape with steamer.
Also, there were minimal stains in front of the stove where I use to cook, and as I remember there was a wallpaper on that wall where there were very few stains(Just few drops of cooking stuff).

What can I do for this issue now? since there was no Hold amount on my card when I checked out and when this $200 was charged no body even informed me before charging and if there were damages why didn't hotel manager informed me after I checked out immediately why after 1 week of my checkout date!!

Please let me know how can I resolve this matter?
Well, if you paid by credit card no problem, because you haven't really paid them yet have you? Call you credit card company and charge them back. Amex will charge the hotel back so fast their head will spin. And that's the beauty of credit cards - you have tremendous negotiating power with that peace of plastic. If you paid by debit card (and why ANYONE would choose to use a debit card, beside the fact that they have bad credit, I will never understand) - then you are probably SOL.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2CK2RONl View Post
I've got a situation similar to a previous post. One month ago, I stayed at a hotel that was booked though a 3rd party travel agency for that same day. Upon making the reservations, I stated that I do have a valid card but there is no money on the card. All i have is cash. The agency said no problem, just give the cash for the room to the front desk when you arrive. My room was booked. Now when i arrived, the front desk looked me up and said, "Okay, sir. Looks like your room is prepaid so you do not owe us anything. But we still need to see your card for the security deposit which is $50." So I deposit just enough for the deposit and when i came back another front desk rep looks me up and says the samething.. room is already prepaid, just need to hold $50 on card incase s**t happens. At this point, Im not sure wth is going on.. but im happy to finally have a room after waiting all night for one. Fast forward to checkout. Room is left almost untouched so no question on damages, etc. Then just today I checked my account and the hotel charged me $138 and also caused me to overdraft. Looking back on my card transactions, there was never any deductions for the room so its clear that I owed them money. However, Im a dude that just lost his job and is a first time dad to a 2 year old. I owed money to a hotel for a room I stayed at a month ago. Does the hotel have authorization to charge my card at this time when it was there own mishap? Im caught off guard and down $138 + overdraft fee suddenly due to something that should have been paid a month ago. Any advise or suggestions?
You legitimately owed for the room. Someplace in the fine print when you checked in, you signed an agreement that they could bill your card for any payment due. It seems to me that had you been honest to begin with, you wouldn't have had the problem.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:54 AM

1 posts, read 8,139 times
Hi I booked a hotel room through Expedia and I paid it in full using my debit. I booked the hotel for 2 adults me and my bf but he was going to use his credit card for the hotel to have on file because I do not have one. I was wondering because the reservation is under my name and I paid it with my debit can he still use his credit card for incidentals even though it is not booked under his name. He will be there with his credit card and photo ID I'm just wondering because this is my first big trip by myself. Thank you!

Old 06-16-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jh926 View Post
Hi I booked a hotel room through Expedia and I paid it in full using my debit. I booked the hotel for 2 adults me and my bf but he was going to use his credit card for the hotel to have on file because I do not have one. I was wondering because the reservation is under my name and I paid it with my debit can he still use his credit card for incidentals even though it is not booked under his name. He will be there with his credit card and photo ID I'm just wondering because this is my first big trip by myself. Thank you!
As long as his name is also on the reservation, it shouldn't be an issue. Worst case you can add his name at check in.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 15,810 times
I have a question.
So I booked two rooms in Vegas one month in advance. They said and actually charged me for the first night of two rooms plus tax (the rooms are nonrefundable). However, I lost my wallet last week, I had to cancel/block all my cards just in case. This morning, I found it in my mailbox, I guess someone found and returned it. The point is, all my cards, including the one used to book rooms, are cancel, which means they no longer can be used. New ones would not arrive on time for me to check in. Is it possible to explain to the front desk what happened to my cards, and show them my ID plus my old C/c which used to book rooms (the one lost and be returned)? And put a hold in my friend's c/c and use his ID to check in too, since I have no card with me now? In addition, when I booked those rooms, they only asked me to put in one name - mine, so is there anyhow to prove that we go together and can use his ID to check in? Thank you so much.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnguyen540 View Post
I have a question.
So I booked two rooms in Vegas one month in advance. They said and actually charged me for the first night of two rooms plus tax (the rooms are nonrefundable). However, I lost my wallet last week, I had to cancel/block all my cards just in case. This morning, I found it in my mailbox, I guess someone found and returned it. The point is, all my cards, including the one used to book rooms, are cancel, which means they no longer can be used. New ones would not arrive on time for me to check in. Is it possible to explain to the front desk what happened to my cards, and show them my ID plus my old C/c which used to book rooms (the one lost and be returned)? And put a hold in my friend's c/c and use his ID to check in too, since I have no card with me now? In addition, when I booked those rooms, they only asked me to put in one name - mine, so is there anyhow to prove that we go together and can use his ID to check in? Thank you so much.
Should be OK. Why not just have your CC company FedEx a replacement card to the hotel? I've done that before.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 15,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Should be OK. Why not just have your CC company FedEx a replacement card to the hotel? I've done that before.
Yes, I tried to tell my bank service to send it overnight even with a charge. But, they said they can only send registermail because of their policies. I got my debit overnight, but not c/c thanks again for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel