Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

We usually plan on our vacations running $1000 a DAY whether we're in the US or Europe.
Wow.
We occasionally splurge, for sure, but I don't think the two of us could/would do $1000 a day even if we were zillionaires. In December we took a trip where we were paying for our kids and their girlfriends, and we plunked down some money on Christmas Eve. That one night in Oviedo, with very pleasant lodging and a fine dinner for 6, approached but did not hit a thousand dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I found in the past that being a skin flint on accommodations takes away from enjoying the day. I need a good comfortable restful sleep.
Agreed. Finding value is paramount. I agree with what others have said about the nickel and diming of flagship hotels. All the pensione-type places we stayed at had free wifi.

During a recent trip, one of our best places turned out to be the cheapest, 38 euros a night, but hostels are not always so quiet, let alone clean.

We stay in all sorts of places, depending on the circumstances, including couch surfing. We ended our trip at the Madrid Airport Hilton, it was okay for $155 a night.

Quote:
People always talk up travel in the same vein they always talk about how great it is to "meet new people". Both to me are overrated. The more I travel the more I am happy to be back at home with my own bed, car, desk, chair, tv and refrigerator.
I still like meeting new people, but need to be able to retreat when I want to.
I still like to travel, but it's always good to go back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I agree, I generally go for the cheapest place as long as it's clean, has basic facilities (hot water, TV is preferable but not essential). I find most hotel rooms generic anyway. If I were to splash, I'd say somewhere really unique and funky, but that's on the rare occasions.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I can see that if the Hotel is going to occupied for more than two nights I might go higher but if it's an overnight stay I see no reason to spend more than $75 a night.
All we need is a clean place to lay our heads and a place to shower. I'm past the age of having anything to prove. I know what we need and want and that's good enough for us.
And yes we've had luxury and both agree in the end it's just a room.
You can't find a clean place in that price range in major cities in the north east. A lot of hotel pricing has to do with the region. I pay $150 for the same room in Boston that I pay $70 for in the middle of no where PA.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Wow.
We occasionally splurge, for sure, but I don't think the two of us could/would do $1000 a day even if we were zillionaires. In December we took a trip where we were paying for our kids and their girlfriends, and we plunked down some money on Christmas Eve. That one night in Oviedo, with very pleasant lodging and a fine dinner for 6, approached but did not hit a thousand dollars.
By the time you average the airfare, a nice hotel room (we like luxury properties when vacationing), meals are usually in the $200/day range but could be more, and then anything else we need (admissions, rental car, etc.) it easily can hit $1000 a day. Same thing with a cruise. We're taking a two week cruise this summer, between the cruise fare, airfare to Europe a couple nights in hotels on either end, shore excursions and such, and it easily hits $1000 a day. (And we booked the "cheap seats" on this cruise!)

Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
You can't find a clean place in that price range in major cities in the north east. A lot of hotel pricing has to do with the region. I pay $150 for the same room in Boston that I pay $70 for in the middle of no where PA.
lol...then it's probably a good think I'm not a major city type of person.
I'll spend it if I have to (and I can) but I would find it rediculous and it would take away my enjoyment of it.
Kinda like spending $150.00 for a dinner that you walk away hungry from scratching your head going....I spent THAT??? For THAT?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
lol...then it's probably a good think I'm not a major city type of person.
I'll spend it if I have to (and I can) but I would find it rediculous and it would take away my enjoyment of it.
Kinda like spending $150.00 for a dinner that you walk away hungry from scratching your head going....I spent THAT??? For THAT?
I've never walked away hungry from a meal in a restaurant. In fact the only time I can remember walking away hungry was after a wedding I attended.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I've never walked away hungry from a meal in a restaurant. In fact the only time I can remember walking away hungry was after a wedding I attended.

Well then you've had different experiences that I.
The bottom line is, I don't mind spending my money for something I feel is worth it. I feel that a lot of people spend money on a "name". I've eaten at the Tavern on the Green in it's heyday because it was the thing to "do". I feel that I had a better meal at Nick's Family Diner in Orlando.

I've spent $45.00 on great room in the middle of the Smoky Mountains and got about the same service I got at the Waldorf in NYC.

It's just a room.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Well then you've had different experiences that I.
The bottom line is, I don't mind spending my money for something I feel is worth it. I feel that a lot of people spend money on a "name". I've eaten at the Tavern on the Green in it's heyday because it was the thing to "do". I feel that I had a better meal at Nick's Family Diner in Orlando.
Tavern on the Green was never all that good and never considered truly fine dining. Try Per Se or even Gramercy Tavern for a true delight in NYC. And plan on spending a LOT more than Tavern on the Green ever cost.

Quote:
I've spent $45.00 on great room in the middle of the Smoky Mountains and got about the same service I got at the Waldorf in NYC.

It's just a room.
I disagree. One of our favorite places to visit is more than "just a room." We get a room with a private balcony, exquisite views, fireplace, amazing bathroom, wet bar, sitting area, and more. We can get room service 24 hours a day, and there is no request too large, too small, or too strange. If it's legal and won't disrupt other guests, they'll make it happen. Try getting that level of service at the Comfort Inn.

By the way--the Waldorf--highly over rated unless you're in a Tower Suite--then they can't do enough for you. For a truly sublime NYC hotel, The Pierre is the way to go. You can't go wrong at the Mandarin Oriental, either.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Tavern on the Green was never all that good and never considered truly fine dining. Try Per Se or even Gramercy Tavern for a true delight in NYC. And plan on spending a LOT more than Tavern on the Green ever cost.

I disagree. One of our favorite places to visit is more than "just a room." We get a room with a private balcony, exquisite views, fireplace, amazing bathroom, wet bar, sitting area, and more. We can get room service 24 hours a day, and there is no request too large, too small, or too strange. If it's legal and won't disrupt other guests, they'll make it happen. Try getting that level of service at the Comfort Inn.

By the way--the Waldorf--highly over rated unless you're in a Tower Suite--then they can't do enough for you. For a truly sublime NYC hotel, The Pierre is the way to go. You can't go wrong at the Mandarin Oriental, either.
Since you are going to discount everything I say, I'm going to leave it at we agree to disagree.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Since you are going to discount everything I say, I'm going to leave it at we agree to disagree.
My point is that it's not "just a room" in many cases.

Sure, if you're driving from point A to point B and need a clean, comfortable place to sleep for the night and maybe check your email, I agree, there's no sense spending $200 on a hotel room when you can get the Holiday Inn Express, Hampton, or Fairfield for $75. (Although not really up in a lot of the Northeast. The outskirts of Boston run me well over $100--with a AAA discount---for a hotel in a reasonably safe neighborhood--nothing fancy. The Fairfield in Revere is the best value based on cost/cleanliness/location I've found yet.)

That said, sometimes when people travel, they want to be able to have their wants attended to. Maybe they are in town to interview candidates for a job and need a hotel with a meeting room for that purpose. Or they are on a romantic vacation and want to be able to order up Champagne and chocolate strawberries, or have the concierge arrange for flowers to be left in the room. You aren't going to get that at a roadside inn. And in that situation, a room is not just "a room."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel