Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times

Advertisements

Looked it up, apparently what we saw in desert outside Phoenix were Sonoran pronghorn:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
A few that stand out:

Fer de Lance (highly poisonous snake)in Trinidad...on the hiking trail; flocks of Scarlet Ibis...Tobago: Sea turtles, White Tropicbirds

Black bear...rattled the chain fence across our backpacking shelter on the Appalacian Trail...at night, for 20 min or so.

A sloth, slowly making his way up a tree in Costa Rica

also in C Rica-Caimans, Scarlet Macaws, Poison Dart Frogs, the Resplendant Quetzal (considered to be the most beautiful bird in C.Rica), Toucans.

SCUBA diving: numerous sharks, sea turtles, eels, barracudas; manatees and of course awesome fish; and in Cayman islands-mammoth stingrays.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
First time I saw these beautiful animals , I did not know what they were either---none where I live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Looked it up, apparently what we saw in desert outside Phoenix were Sonoran pronghorn:

Old 02-07-2012, 12:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
I didn't have to leave my home for a wildlife encounter. The black bear came right in to the garage.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Bison and bears - Yellowstone
Elk and Rocky Mountain sheep - Rocky Mountain National Park
Aligators - Louisiana
Moose -Never Summer Mountains, CO
Dolphins - Bay of Islands, New Zealand and in the strait between Singapore and Sentosa Island
Nurse sharks & barracuda - Belize
Sea lions - California
Loch Ness Monster - Scotland

Old 02-07-2012, 04:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Seen lots of sea turtles snorkelling and just from the boat. I love sea turtles!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
1. While sitting in a hot pool at Tabacon Lodge in Costa Rica we realized a large Basilisk lizard was sharing the warm stones just a foot from my friend's shoulder. When she squealed, it jumped into the water, causing the rest of us to exit quickly!

2. Near Kyoto, Japan we hiked up a mountain which was home to many wild monkeys. There was an observation and feeding station at the top, where the people were INSIDE the cage and the monkeys OUTSIDE. On the way up were warning signs about how NOT to act around the monkeys, as they could be aggressive. My friend became very nervous when she saw a sign that said sweet potatoes were one of their favorite foods-she had just bought one from a street vendor and put it in her purse!

3. While kayaking in a local river, we had a 6 foot alligator gar surface between our 9 foot water-level boats. We had seen several dead ones about 2 feet long but did not expect such a close-up view of a monster!

4. On a snorkeling trip in Florida, a rather large lady decided to bring home a shell she had found by tucking it into her bikini top. She suddenly started screaming and reaching inside. Turns out, the hermit crab in the shell decided to try to escape...

5. While fishing from a kayak in Florida I thought my line was snagged on a rock. As I tried to work it loose, my kayak started slowly moving. Just before I decided to cut the line, it popped loose bringing a dark rubbery piece of flesh with it. I had hooked a stingray too large to get off the bottom!

6 On a fishing trip just off Loreto, Mexico, we had a huge pod of dolphins surround the panga boat. There were at least a hundred and some were close enough I could have reached over the side and touched them if we had been moving slower. Amazing!

7. At Xel-Ha (Mayan Riviera, Mexico) we were snorkeling when a tiny yellow and purple fish decided to use my husband's underarm as protection. Every time I pointed for him to look, it darted around behind him. Then when he resumed swimming, it hovered under his arm again. It stayed with us for about 15 minutes.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:37 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
"An apparently injured Gooney Bird I hit near Mt. Vernon, MO on I-44. Yes, that's right...a Gooney Bird in Missouri. No, I hadn't been drinking and, yes, I know what Gooney Birds look like. I have no idea what it was doing there."

That's not far from where I live-what do you call a Gooney bird? An albatross? We have snow geese and cattle egrets and possibly a seagull from one of the lakes...never heard of an albatross this far, but nothing is impossible. Occasionally birds get blown off course by storms. We are also not supposed to have black bears around here but they have been occasionally trapped and removed.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:13 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
We were fishing once in the adelaide river near Darwin in the Northern Territory, and almost missed the tide. With the river fast disapearing around us and we had to guide our 12 foot tinny, through a river that had become a 3 meter wide channel that was drying up fast. We saw about 10 hungry looking Crocs on the way back to the boat ramp and acutally hit one on the way. I never wanted to see another crocodile after that experience

In cape tribulation (Far north Queensland) I found a wild Cassowary walking up the path towards our hostel.

While fishing off the coast from the Town of 1770 we had a chance encounter curious hump back whale.

Feeding the Dolphins at Moreton island (Brisbane).

Snorkeling on the Great barrier reef.

Visiting lake eyer after a flood and seeing the thousands of Pelicans that migrate their.

Having to stop for a herd of Wild Camels running accross the road in the northern territory.

Its amazing, ive being over to 50 countries and the only animal encouters i clearly remember are in my own back yard.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-08-2012 at 12:25 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Saw my share of bighorn sheep, deer, elk, coyotes when I lived in Colorado.

Plenty of wildlife around my new hometown (coyotes, bear, dolphins, manatees, stingrays, bobcats, herons, great egrets, osprey, deer, bald eagles etc etc.) My husband has been out on a boat and seen a right whale, but I have not.
I regularly see sea turtles, and have seen the babies hatching and crawl into the sea.
Don't know if we're supposed to post photos in this thread, but I have a photo of my dog wading into the Gulf to check out a dolphin who had come very, very close to shore.

One of the coolest travel sightings was flying into Boston and, as we descended, having the captain tell us to look out the window to see a pod of humpback whales. (What made it sort of poetically ironic was the fact that we were on our way to Nantucket, a former whaling town.)

Seeing the rainforest animals in Tikal (and hearing those howler monkeys) was also cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel