Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,518,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Robbery really? It is a private company they can sell a seat for $100,000 if they want to, if not one buys it they do not make any money on the seat if someone does they do. That is the way the world works. You do not like it fine, don't pay for the seat.

Fly another airline, get another way of getting there. The airlines make their prices with market demand. If one airline is selling a ticket at crazy prices than many another airline is not. What your saying makes no sense in the free market world. Any private company can price their items at whatever they want to. It is up to the consumer to decide if they want to pay for it (if it is worth that much) or not pay for it.
Just because they CAN get that much for a seat does not mean they SHOULD get it or even that they HAVE to get it.

There is still such a thing as right and wrong, even in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,670,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Just because they CAN get that much for a seat does not mean they SHOULD get it or even that they HAVE to get it.

There is still such a thing as right and wrong, even in business.
Lets play a little game of Airline CEO.

You own Airline A.
I own Airline B,
and FlyMIA owns Airline B.

We all have a gate at a major east coast airport and we all have a gate at a major west coast airport. We both fly the same aircraft with the exact same seat configuration. We all have the same departing time.

For discussion and ease, we have 200 seats in coach, 8 in first class. It cost us $20,000 in fuel, $5,000 in labor and another $5,000 in all associated cost for that flight. The toal cost is $30,000 for that flight.

Now with all that, post your rate sheet for that flight.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,873,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I'm curious, do you fly for business or recreation? I barely have elite status (silver) on United/Continental and British Airways, but I know some people with higher tier status. They fly for business and aren't paying for those first and business class seats out of their own pockets, so I was a little curious.
I fly mostly business, some personal. Of course my company reimburses me for the airfare, but I choose the airlines however. My company will not pay for first or business class so I sit in back or get upgraded. On domestic, I almost always get upgraded to first.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,518,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Lets play a little game of Airline CEO.

You own Airline A.
I own Airline B,
and FlyMIA owns Airline B.

We all have a gate at a major east coast airport and we all have a gate at a major west coast airport. We both fly the same aircraft with the exact same seat configuration. We all have the same departing time.

For discussion and ease, we have 200 seats in coach, 8 in first class. It cost us $20,000 in fuel, $5,000 in labor and another $5,000 in all associated cost for that flight. The toal cost is $30,000 for that flight.

Now with all that, post your rate sheet for that flight.

No, lets don't play. I have my opinion and you have yours. Let's just leave it at that.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,675,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I fly mostly business, some personal. Of course my company reimburses me for the airfare, but I choose the airlines however. My company will not pay for first or business class so I sit in back or get upgraded. On domestic, I almost always get upgraded to first.
That's awesome. United screwed over its Silver elites in regards to economy plus seating (it's not first, but hey) and free baggage, so I'm hoping to make a higher tier this year. Unfortunately I don't travel for business like my father does. He has an godly amount of miles he doesn't even use, and doesn't even know what coach is, haha

Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,510,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, lets don't play. I have my opinion and you have yours. Let's just leave it at that.
It's not so much an opinion as it is a statement that goes directly against the fundamentals of macroecon 101. As the quantity of a good (seats) goes down, the price of that good goes up.

The only time it hasn't been that way for the airline industry was prior to 1978 in a regulated environment.

Note that there are exceptions; if you're traveling due to a death of an immediate family member for example, many airlines will reimburse you part of the cost of the last minute ticket you had to purchase, usually in the neighborhood of half off.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,873,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
That's awesome. United screwed over its Silver elites in regards to economy plus seating (it's not first, but hey) and free baggage, so I'm hoping to make a higher tier this year. Unfortunately I don't travel for business like my father does. He has an godly amount of miles he doesn't even use, and doesn't even know what coach is, haha
All the airlines are slowly screwing their elites in their continuous attempts to maximize profit. Delta treats me good but they do some things that frustrate me - no upgrades for international flights, for one. Another is diluting it's elite program by giving miles for everything from getting a certain credit card to buying flowers. There are certain tricks to get extra miles, increase your tier, etc. Check this site out, it's like the ultimate site for road warriors:

FlyerTalk Forums

They have a subforum for United.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM

61,623 posts, read 86,956,533 times
Things get worse....
Airlines required to include government taxes - chicagotribune.com

Last week, Rep. Tom Graves introduced a bill that would reverse the DOT requirement.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,510,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Things get worse....
Airlines required to include government taxes - chicagotribune.com

Last week, Rep. Tom Graves introduced a bill that would reverse the DOT requirement.
I don't really see what the big deal is. When I go shopping, the the price tags at the stores only reflect the base price of what the store is charging, not the sales tax or other taxes/fees thrown on top of it.

I guess its nice to see the final price right upfront, but if the airline industry has to do it, then so should everyone.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,670,520 times
Let me just throw this out for some of you to chew over.

You may not be aware that several complaints have been filed over violations of this requirment. Consumers are complaining that the total advertised fare is still below the actual fare they are being charged. But, no actual violations have occured....

So if airlines are dsiclosing the actual mandatory government fees and taxes, why are there still fares above the disclosed price? Shouldn;t it be the same?

The answr is Yes, the fare should have been the same.

So why isn;t it the same, Cause some airlines have been cionning you to death and creating a picture that does not exist. Some of the low cost airlines (also some of the biggest complainers about the requirment) have been padding a heap of self-imposed fees and surcharges on your airline ticket that they have been dressing up as governement fees or taxes when they are basically extra money the airline is charging you for that ticket.

That's right folks, many of the charges on the low cost airlines are not actual governement fees and taxes. Having to include government fees and taxes, means they are exposed about the non governement fees and taxes they use to include. Thats why they are upset. Its because people are now seeing that although the $50 ticket cost $75 with all governement fees and taxes, the ticket price is still $100 so what the heck were the other $25 they were paying? That means for those airlines to hide their extra profits in the ticket price, they would need to include it in the total which may no longer make them price competative as others. But if they leave it out, people will see that many airlines included extra fees and surcharges they created but made them appear like governement taxes and fees.

Have any of you paid the $12.55 Terminal Improvement surcharge? If so that is the money the airliens colects as extra fare but didn;t disclose it on their fare sheet. Its a bogus charge.

have you paid a $3.21 Security Enhancement Fee? Sound governement doen;t it? Actually its another bogus charge the airline put on yout ticket as extar money to them. there is a legitaimate security fee but thats not this one.

One of my favoriytes is a fee that show up just under $1.00 maybe $0.86 or something that the airlines list as a Document screening fee or something like that which is another bogus fee.

Sure there are legitimate fees such as upgrade to more leg roomn, or pre paying a checked bag, or the service fees some third party vendors attach for their services, but the airlines have taken their cue from the mortgage and car slaespeople and created a heap of fees that look like governement or mandatory fees when they are simply in the class of "because the idots will pay it" fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel