U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 09:32 PM

71 posts, read 193,060 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Michigan to Washington (state) in about a year, and its making me pretty nervous. I was wondering if anyone has made such a large move before and if anyone has any tips. I'll have saved up at least five thousand dollors by then to make the move and get me going in Seattle. Me and my boyfriend will be bringing one car with us and only have a one bedroom apartment so we don't have that much stuff to bring. One thing I can't really decide on is weather we should just bring as much as we can fit in the car and buy a bed and stuff when we get there or get a moving company to move our things. Any insight would help. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 04:32 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,252,328 times
Hey there, I just moved from VERY South Florida to New Hampshire.. Its about 1,500 miles difference and the length of the east coast of the US. So I know how you feel. I did pretty much what you did, I sold or gave away most of what I owned. The only thing I kept was my bed (dont' get rid of that believe me that first night you get there, after sleeping in hotels you're gonna want it) I kept the dishes , pots etc. I got rid of my couch, dinner table and chairs and kept my coffee table to eat off of. I got rid of all my living room and dinning room funiture come to think of it. I ditched my bedroom dressers and computer desk. If it wouldn't fit in a pull behind u-haul it didn't go. When we got to NH we bought a new desk, tv holder/entertainment center. Our neighbors were moving in the same day, imagine that and GAVE us their Futon for couch. I couldn't believe it it was BRAND friggin new. It still had the damn tags on it. They said they just couldn't fit it in the living room with their other couch. I doubt you'll get that lucky though lol. Just keep your cool about it. Don't rush into getting things for your house and make yourself go broke. Like I said if you're getting rid of the dinning room table just eat off the coffee table till you can get one. If its just the two of you what does it matter right? Good luck with your move, it'll be fun. Its hard to leave a home. I lived in Fla for 23 years , never lived up North in my entire life. I don't know anyone in the town or have any family for 500 miles from my house. But I love it and wouldnt' change anything!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:19 PM

71 posts, read 193,060 times
Thanks for the info, now I just hope my car can handle pulling a trailer for that distence :P. Thanks again

Old 09-09-2007, 11:13 AM

895 posts, read 4,111,448 times
Hi. We just moved from Florida to California so that's a pretty big move. We had a relocation so we didn't have to worry too much about the finances of the move. But here's my two cents: attachments to "things" is not a great idea. We figured out that if we haven't used something in 1 year, we don't need it. Just get rid of all the stuff that's not important and save up to buy new when you get there. There's an IKEA around Seattle and you can probably furnish your whole apartment affordably. Stuff your car with your personal items and just start fresh, at your own pace, when you can afford to buy stuff for your new place. Part of the fun of moving somewhere new is starting over.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:08 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,651,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogStar5988 View Post
I will be moving from Michigan to Washington (state) in about a year, and its making me pretty nervous. I was wondering if anyone has made such a large move before and if anyone has any tips. I'll have saved up at least five thousand dollors by then to make the move and get me going in Seattle. Me and my boyfriend will be bringing one car with us and only have a one bedroom apartment so we don't have that much stuff to bring. One thing I can't really decide on is weather we should just bring as much as we can fit in the car and buy a bed and stuff when we get there or get a moving company to move our things. Any insight would help. Thanks

I've made three solo X-C moves. I learned something with each one.
I thought it was quite the adventure and really enjoyed it.
I didn't think I could do it alone...but I did it!...my doggie company
was a huge help.
When I made my moves I'd sell off my larger pieces of furniture ie., washer/dryer, sofa, bed, dr table & chairs etc...
and buy new stuff once I arrived at my new destination.

The first two moves (Ohio to Cali...Cali to MO) I went with a moving company except for the last move I rented a Penske truck and towed my SUV.
A moving company most likely will go by the weight of your items and then tack on the extra stuff which adds up really quick.

Hiring a moving company is quite the expense. Doing it myself I saved quite a bit of cash flow.
If you don't have that much stuff I would try doing it yourselves with a rental truck. Or if you use your vehicle make sure you get it tuned up just before you take off. You don't need any surprises 500 miles into the trip.

If you don't belong to AAA, I would possibly look into getting a membership.
They can be a huge help as far as mapping out your trip and locating hotels/motels along with providing a sense of relief with roadside assistance, if needed.

Good luck on your move!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:00 PM

469 posts, read 2,661,361 times
It's almost always cheaper just to sell all your furniture and buy stuff when you get there. Once you add in costs of a U-Haul, hotel rooms, gas, the inevitable flat tire, etc. you're really paying more to haul your stuff around than what it is worth. I've made several big moves in my life (one overseas, from the Washington DC area to Istanbul, Turkey) and I always flew and carried only what would fit in my suitcases. Unless you're deeply attached to your sofa and love seat, I say put on a yard sale and use the cash to buy new stuff at your new home.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:39 PM

26,324 posts, read 26,132,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
It's almost always cheaper just to sell all your furniture and buy stuff when you get there. Once you add in costs of a U-Haul, hotel rooms, gas, the inevitable flat tire, etc. you're really paying more to haul your stuff around than what it is worth. I've made several big moves in my life (one overseas, from the Washington DC area to Istanbul, Turkey) and I always flew and carried only what would fit in my suitcases. Unless you're deeply attached to your sofa and love seat, I say put on a yard sale and use the cash to buy new stuff at your new home.

VERY well said, I have to totally agree. With the exeption of a few things, you are very much correct. Ive done it many times when moving to different states or maybe clear across a state. Most of my life has consisted of moving, whether it was because my dad got sent to different places for his jobs, or my work or a relationship was involved, moving is nothing new to me. Ive done it most of my life and I go where opportunity opens up. Some people just dont know how to stay put, lol.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 AM

304 posts, read 1,368,820 times
We have made a few long moves ourselves. One move we made was from central MO to Boise, ID. At that time, it was just the two of us & 4 dogs. We rented a U-Haul and packed everything in it. It was a tough move because the U-Haul kept overheating and the speedometer didn't work (I thought I was only going 60 mph but found out I was going closer to 80mph!!). We swore to never move stuff ourselves again. We had some friends that made a similar move from NE to ID and their Ryder truck broke down on the side of the freeway. They had to unload everything from one truck to another. Not fun!

Another long move was a couple of years ago from Boise, ID to GA...this time with 3 kids and 2 dogs. We got rid of a lot of stuff before hand (including a 2nd vehicle) and had the rest moved by professional movers. Keep in mind that if you have someone move your stuff for you, your things will not likely arrive when you do. Because of snow storms in the Rockies, our stuff didn't arrive until about a week after we did (we were also the last load on the truck).

We kept a "moving" notebook on us for that last move. Inside we had all kinds of information in one place: contact #s (hotels, family, credit card), addresses, receipts, etc. It was handy to have it all in one spot. Be sure to bring important documents with you (i.e. birth certificates). We were limited on the amount of space we had available in our vehicle, so we only had one box of personal items like photo CDs/albums.

Oh, if you end up moving in the winter weather months, be sure to keep alternate routes in mind. On our last move we had to go a totally diffferent way than planned to stay ahead of a blizzard.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:42 AM

7,815 posts, read 18,173,729 times
I've made several cross country moves in my life. The most recent one took place about a year ago, moving from Virginia Beach to Grand Junction, CO. For more info about the move read these threads:

Happy Campers in Grand Junction! ( 1 2)

Anyone have any ideas what to do ( 1 2) see my psots on page 2

best wishes regarding your big move.....Franco

Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 AM

13,394 posts, read 43,260,612 times
We moved from Colorado to north Florida, and the move was paid for by my husband's company, so after having a garage sale and dumping a bunch of stuff, we brought everything else (against my better judgment, I wish we'd left more stuff behind.)
We had two dogs and an ancient cat to move as well. I agree about keeping special documents and valuables in a safe place.
One thing we noticed is that a lot of the furniture that was fine in Colorado just doesn't quite "go" as well here at the beach. We'll be replacing some things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel