Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2007, 11:19 AM

449 posts, read 1,698,970 times

Advertisements

Trying to find out when you really have to start worrying over winter weather.
I've seen 2 ways to go - one enters into Canada (so passports?)and the other would mean going south around Chicago, along the Lake through Western NY and then over to 95 ? north of Boston. Choices of when would be Oct/Nov, Dec or Feb - Dec would be because of transferring schools for the kids though we could leave earlier in the month. October seems best but I don't know much about that part of the country, not much time to plan. Trying to avoid really heavy traffic and would keep a watch for storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 07:25 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
Trying to find out when you really have to start worrying over winter weather.
I've seen 2 ways to go - one enters into Canada (so passports?)and the other would mean going south around Chicago, along the Lake through Western NY and then over to 95 ? north of Boston. Choices of when would be Oct/Nov, Dec or Feb - Dec would be because of transferring schools for the kids though we could leave earlier in the month. October seems best but I don't know much about that part of the country, not much time to plan. Trying to avoid really heavy traffic and would keep a watch for storms.
Hi Midwestmom! The most direct route in Canadian is through Sault Ste. Marie. I haven't been that way, so I don't know what to tell you on it. The road looks awful "skinny"... The other Canadian possibility is still shorter than the U.S. route BUT you'll have to go thru Detroit, Toronto AND Montréal. (VERY heavy traffic in all three cities but better highways). Living in Maine, you might just want to get the family passports since you'll be close enough to visit Canada often once you're settled in. Weather is definitely a consideration; I've crossed the 401 in Ontario in the middle of Winter when the roads are "high and dry" I've also seen some pretty rough snow across there... But, then, you're subject to "Lake Effect" snow on our side of the border, too... Best of luck to you all on your moving adventure!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Crew Chief,

Thanks for responding - the Canadian part I had seen was 402E and 401E and then 403E. I-90 to 287 to I-95. I've never been to Canada, aside from passports, is it ok to have only a US DL? Similar road rules? Do you know if its a main hwy - sounds like it would be because of where it runs. I'll have to look up the Sault St. Marie rte you mentioned. I did see one that looked like you took a ferry from WI to MI. I was at work so couldn't check any routes real well. Would be nice to see parts of Canada since we've never been there.
Probably Octoberwould be best driving for less chance of surprises - December would be better to have time to get passports, etc - weather across the Canadian or even US border I don't know.

If its really busy traffic on a "new to us" road..that makes me nervous.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2007, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
Crew Chief,

Thanks for responding - the Canadian part I had seen was 402E and 401E and then 403E. I-90 to 287 to I-95. I've never been to Canada, aside from passports, is it ok to have only a US DL? Similar road rules? Do you know if its a main hwy - sounds like it would be because of where it runs. I'll have to look up the Sault St. Marie rte you mentioned. I did see one that looked like you took a ferry from WI to MI. I was at work so couldn't check any routes real well. Would be nice to see parts of Canada since we've never been there.
Probably Octoberwould be best driving for less chance of surprises - December would be better to have time to get passports, etc - weather across the Canadian or even US border I don't know.

If its really busy traffic on a "new to us" road..that makes me nervous.

Thanks
Hi Midwestmom! Unfortunately, I've only run the "big roads" like the 401 in Ontario and Quebec. As for a driver's license, Canada honors my U.S. commercial license and I understand that a regular operator's license is fine up there, too. The "rules of the road" in Canada for cars aren't really any different than ours. And I'm guessing you already know that speed limits and distances are posted in metric measurements 100 KM = 62 mph. (And I know my 13' 6" truck fits under a bridge marked "4.3m"! Road signs in Quebec are in French. I lived in Europe, so I had no problems. I'll bet you can pick up a guide to them somewhere in Ontario as you head East. Or the internet, maybe.

I assume you mean the ferry from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI? I see it on my atlas but know nothing about it; maybe another member does...? Don't know where in WI you are, but the ferry or driving through Chicago is most likely is your best bet.

If you're taking the U.S. route, I'd follow I-90 across to NY and into MA. Stay on I-90 (Mass Pike) over to I-495 outside Boston. Then take I-495 North to I-95. The extra tolls are FAR better than getting anywhere near New York City and fighting traffic all the way through NY, CT and RI on I-95 down there!

Midwestmom, I'm sure your trip will be a great adventure; relax and enjoy. You're already doing some good research. The good thing is that you'll have BOTH a navigator and a driver. Makes traveling a lot easier! Best of luck!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 09-10-2007 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: Added more information.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 AM

The good news is that Northern states, especially in the Northeast, are much better at dealing with snow than the states farther South that don't get it as often...

Old 09-11-2007, 10:17 PM

Crew Chief,

Thanks for the advice about the I-90/I495 - you're right about not wanting to go through all that traffic in NY to RI - especially since I'd be doing all the driving. I'm checking further into the ferry info, I went a bit around Chicago before and even in the wee hours it was hectic for someone not familar with the area.

We're leaving from around Wasau and it would be kind of fun to take the ferry over to Michigan - we'd be seeing another part of the country and have never been on a ferry before.

I'm sure we'll have fun..I just tend to get nervous at the start of longer road trips. Part of the adventure involves the unexpected things that happen on the way and it is a pretty time of the year to be traveling in those states.

Thanks again

Old 09-12-2007, 12:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
The S.S. Badger ferry can get kind of pricey depending on how many people you have. The car fare is $65, plus another $60 per person.

Having been to both, Michigan and Wisconsin are awfully similar. You wouldn't miss much by not driving through it. The ferry experience might make it worthwhile though. It's also worth noting that the ferry stops running after mid-October, so if you're not going to do your trip until Oct/Nov this may not be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel