Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times

Advertisements

It probably does not make much sense to begin with driving all the way to RDU from CLT to save even $150-$200.

Southwest can and still does have some cheaper airfares but unless you are talking about Spirt Airlines most airlines fares stay near eachother except for the random sale each airline may have. Is there some type of event happening in PHX? $450 round trip is not terrible. It would be rare to find anything under $220-$250 for a flight across the country. I fly MIA-LAX often, almost exclusively on AA and good price for that ticket is around $330 or so. But $400-$450 is faily normal. Prices change often, it is done a lot by computer, keep checking online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,804,465 times
Maybe normal for your wallet . One income household here......Gotta stretch the almighty dollars.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 PM

371 posts, read 1,218,643 times
Per the new rules, from January 2012, all the airlines and travel websites should start showing the prices including all taxes, airport fee etc etc. These rules do not apply to baggage fees, preferred seat fee, snack fee, pillow fee, blanket fee etc. Before, the taxes etc used to add up quite a bit from the price you see initially. That's not the case anymore.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Maybe normal for your wallet . One income household here......Gotta stretch the almighty dollars.
I understand but by I mean a normal/decent price I mean an average fare for anyone. The average fare for CLT-PHX is $180 one way.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWE705/history/20120306/2250Z/KCLT/KPHX
Look at the box to the right you can see the average fare for that flight along with the cheapest ticket purcahsed about $56 and most expensive over $1,000. Its all about buying the ticket at the right time to get a cheap fare. $300 round trip trans-con flight is good for anyone. $500 each way is a little bit expensive but given your buying in a middle period I would be surprised if the ticket went down $100 or so in the next weeks, you need to just keep checking. Of course there is the chance the ticket goes up $400 more it all depends how many seats are sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myNC View Post
Per the new rules, from January 2012, all the airlines and travel websites should start showing the prices including all taxes, airport fee etc etc. These rules do not apply to baggage fees, preferred seat fee, snack fee, pillow fee, blanket fee etc. Before, the taxes etc used to add up quite a bit from the price you see initially. That's not the case anymore.
Great point. Taxes and fees can easily add $50 or more onto a ticket. What you used to see advertised was not what you paid at the end. I think the new law is ridiculous though. Those are not fees the airlines are adding they should not have to advertise them just like clothe stores or car dealerships don't advertise the prices with taxes added, its crazy law and hopefully taken down in court one day.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:21 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I understand but by I mean a normal/decent price I mean an average fare for anyone. The average fare for CLT-PHX is $180 one way.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWE705/history/20120306/2250Z/KCLT/KPHX
Look at the box to the right you can see the average fare for that flight along with the cheapest ticket purcahsed about $56 and most expensive over $1,000.
I've done ferry flights that were empty and Flightaware had average fares posted even though they weren't scheduled flights. Don't trust those numbers they mean nothing, they are made up out of thin air.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I've done ferry flights that were empty and Flightaware had average fares posted even though they weren't scheduled flights. Don't trust those numbers they mean nothing, they are made up out of thin air.
It's not for the exact flight. It's for the route I would imagine. Something like what bing does.

To the OP search the flight on bing and sign up for a flight fare watch.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It's not for the exact flight. It's for the route I would imagine. Something like what bing does.

To the OP search the flight on bing and sign up for a flight fare watch.
It was an odd route, nothing scheduled. Like I said made up out of thin air.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:32 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,263 times
In addition to the fuel hedging that has already been mentioned and definitely allowed them to lower their fares to be competitive...when Southwest really started to grow and gain traction in different markets they had one of the youngest fleets of equipment...so the required maintenance was less extensive. Think the equivalent of oil changes versus a new transmission on your car. (This is in my completely non-mechanical, laymen's explanation)

Now, those planes are getting older (still fine to fly) but they require a little more work, bigger maintenance department, more costs...and money to replace them when they just get to be too old or costly.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It was an odd route, nothing scheduled. Like I said made up out of thin air.
Maybe you are right. But I am looking trying to find an odd one. It does not show prices for cargo flights or passenger flights. I am just having a hard time finding a non-schedule flight that does not have some type of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel