Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,352,221 times

Advertisements

I tend to travel from place to place on my own and like to plan my U.S. holidays so that I then meet up with friends on their own ground. Then we can hang out together some of the time and I can also have a bit of time to myself to simply wander where the fancy takes me.

Exceptions were a friend joining me in a couple of road trips, they were terrific fun as I got to go to places I couldn't have reached on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 05:09 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,418 times
I fall under the I'm Military Traveler. Fortunate to have bases within most Countries however, Unfortunate for extended stays in quite a few noteworthy locations.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:34 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
I go to New Orleans a lot. I love the energy and culture of the city.

But I also love to go to Palm Springs just for the relaxation and serenity of the desert.

Also love the California Central Coast. The salt air, and the ocean, is therapeutic for me.

I also enjoy road trips, and this is what I hope to pursue more of when I retire.

I fly to visit family once a year; however, I totally separate "family visits" from "fun vacations". If I want to spend time somewhere else that's within driving distance of them, I do so first (or afterwards) without telling them.

I will NOT travel with friends. It's either with my husband or solo.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't fit into any boxes.
I never understand why people are expected to fit into boxes.
Everything is not x/y, black/white, this/that. Life is shades of gray.
ohhhhh, you're that type I see.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
I am a business traveler about 150 days a year. When I travel for business I tend to select moderate hotels with some or limited services outside the urban core in safer suburban neighborhoods.

When I travel for leisure I'd be considered a holiday maker, I definitely prefer four or five star hotels and do a lot of wine and dine type activities. I have no desire to visit the majority of third world countries and most developing nations.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
I'm a "semi-luxury" traveler....at least, as much as I can be! I would never camp, or stay in a hostel....I like to be comfortable! Therefore, I enjoy comfortable places...no safaris or adventure trips for me!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,052 times
I'm a mix holidaymaker/traveler

Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,190 times
long term traveller/backpacker/sex traveller

Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
I'm somewhere between the luxury and adventure traveler. I am not the type of guy who will strap on a backpack and hoof for 30 days while staying in hostels. At the same time, I'm not the type who will sit in 4-5 star hotels and order room service or eat only at top restaurants.

I am on a budget (always). I research, hack and use various methods to get myself a higher end hotel (3.5-4 stars) at a similar price (lower, many times) to a hostel. I rarely travel alone so most costs are split (i.e. an $80/night hotel is cheaper than a $45/night hostel since hostels are generally per person). I also enjoy going out for one or two nice dinners (regardless of price), but will spend plenty of time eating street food or at cheap restaurants. I use public transit mostly (in urban areas), but I do love to get a cheap car rental for a day or two and tour that way. I tend to quickly breeze through the biggest "attractions" (I don't like skipping them altogether) and spending more time discovering what day to day life is in the area.

I like to challenge myself a little bit in new countries and get out of my comfort zone. If I don't have a few moments where I'm not uncomfortable on a trip to a new place, then I often leave feeling that I didn't put enough effort into immersing myself. I believe that traveling should be a balance between stepping out of your shell a bit and maintaining enough comfort to allow you to continue to challenge yourself while away. I tend to choose comfort in the form of my accommodations. It's nice knowing that no matter how bad the food I ate, or uncomfortable I was in a certain neighborhood, I have my own comfortable, private place to sleep.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 AM

174 posts, read 639,958 times
I'm my own style traveler.

Accomodation is not really the thing I prioritize most, as I or we stay out most of the time. But in some occasions, I consider the place I will sleep.
Like the time we went to Nikko, Japan. I wanted to stay at the Teddy Bear house badly. It was a little bit costly, but worth it.

Restaurants, I try to ask the online community (lonely planet or yahoo answers) where is a must eat place. But usually, we just stroll in the streets and I guess I am lucky most of the times in finding a good restaurant. I don't mind eating in 5 star restaurants, if I have money lol.
Eating in cheap places, doesn't directly mean you are eating like the locals.

Overall, I tend to take pictures alot. And make videos.
Also, I like going to the McDonalds of each country I visit.
I find it fascinating to try the different menus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel