Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,222,355 times

Advertisements

Maybe you could look into homestay or volunteer programs if you want to lengthen your stay. I'm not sure if there's an au pair program for Americans wishing to go abroad (because I've only noticed foreign nationals coming here) but you could try that too. Any of those options should give you accommodations, which would free up your budget and keep you overseas longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 2 days ago)

43,399 posts, read 44,113,281 times
Probably SE Asia or South America are where your budget will last the longest.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:39 AM

18,938 posts, read 11,546,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I am have always wanted to travel.
These past 18 months have been the hardest in my life. I want to travel and see the world.

I feel that seeing the world would give me a broader persepective of my life.

I just feel like I'm existing. Breathing. But not living. I'm tired of dreary, mid-west America, and I want to expand my horizons.
I've always enjoyed travel and would recommend it to anyone - it may well give you a broader perspective on your life - especially if you're looking for that. Remember too, though, that "no matter where you go, there you are."

Old 03-10-2012, 06:29 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,526,462 times
Are you a college graduate or maybe still in college? A friend's daughter is presently spending her Jr. year abroad in Spain. It looks to me via "facebook" that she and her friends are spending the majority of time traveling throughout Spain, Italy and Greece. I'm sure there are some academic requirments as well but she is having a blast.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,526,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Okay, so, here are some details:

I'm 20.
I have never been abroad.
I am have always wanted to travel. I have used airports by myself.
These past 18 months have been the hardest in my life.

I want to travel and see the world. I feel that seeing the world would give me a broader persepective of my life.

I have money, not 5k or anything like that, but I have 4k and can pick up more hours.

So, questions:

1. Where would you suggest your 20 year old who has never been abroad to go? Keep in mine, I will be alone.
2. What is the maximum amount of time to stay abroad? I'm thinking from 2 months?
3. Maximum amount of money to spend? I am willing to shorten the trip to a month, anything to see world.
4. Any other advice?

I just feel like I'm existing. Breathing. But not living. I'm tired of dreary, mid-west America, and I want to expand my horizons.

ETA: June-August would be the length of said travel.
When I was 20 I went to study in Mexico for a couple semesters so I would advise something like taking a course, some kind of class because it gets you more into a daily routine in that other place and a "home base" there.

Or you could get into some travel group but if you're very independent and don't mind being alone and doing things by yourself, you can just go and travel as you please. Money isn't really a big issue because you can find cheap places to stay. Some friends of mine went to Europe and would stay in hostels, and sometimes sleep while traveling on trains and camp out.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,599,983 times
Merging this thread with the one in Travel.

Last edited by JustJulia; 03-10-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 10:12 AM

426 posts, read 789,948 times
You could also travel on a tour group. Contiki tours is an 18-35 age group. They have all different kinds of lengths of stay. Included is transportation, most daily breakfasts, some dinners, hotels or camping (which is cheaper) and you get to meet fun people your age! I went on a UK tour by myself using contiki and had a fabulous time.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,884,453 times
I traveled a great deal as a young single person. I was living in D.C. and went on many an overseas trip at the last minute to help out a charter flight. My travels certainly were an education and I'm glad I was able to do it cause once you get a job with only 2 weeks of vacation time, a family or children all that travel is next to impossible.

Just some general thoughts:
Summer in Europe is gawdawful and everybody in Europe has August off and they all disappear!
You will find a lot of English speaking folks all over Europe so that really shouldn't be a concern.
The European Rail System is a beautiful thing. I got eurail pass for say 2 or 3 weeks and then jumped on a train to anywhere I wanted. It was not uncommon to be short on funds and decide to sleep on the train and open my eyes and wonder where I was and hop off! Oh to be young again.............I hope such programs are still available.

I personally preferred travelling alone as I found some friends were very naive about what to expect in Europe. I was embarrassed by the behavior of a few Ugly Americans.

As an adult I have spent some time in Vietnam---adopting babies and killing time waiting for visas, etc. All together I was in VN more than 2.5 months. Try that with a new baby or two I was surprised at how many non Asians pick VN as a vacation spot. Very beautiful country with incredibly warm people and very cheap accommodations. But hot???...as hades even when they thought it was cold.

Wherever you go do some research so you will know what it is you are seeing and really be able to appreciate it. Rick Steves has some wonderful programs about travel all over the world.

Don't be naive. Remember you will definitely look like a tourist, you will be dealing with strangers and some will be eager to rip you off....or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel