Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:11 PM

54 posts, read 336,409 times

Advertisements

Half of my friends can't afford a long distance vacation and the other half simply don't want to go anywhere. So one day i'll probably see myself in a position where i'll be vacationing alone.

Where the best place to travel alone IN THE USA (preferably in the bottom half of the country)?

Wheres the best place to travel alone internationally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post
Half of my friends can't afford a long distance vacation and the other half simply don't want to go anywhere. So one day i'll probably see myself in a position where i'll be vacationing alone.

Where the best place to travel alone IN THE USA (preferably in the bottom half of the country)?

Do you have a car? Then it shouldn't be a problem. Anywhere is open to you, practically.

There are some areas that are popular with couples and honeymooners but few areas where it's hard to find accommodation for a single person.

It depends what you like as well. If travelling in remote areas, it's always good to take precautions. You might also meet people along the way you can travel with.

Internationally plenty of people travel alone. Probably half the people I meet travelling seem to be travelling alone.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post

ANYWHERE can be best to travel solo... How about Club Med / Bali ?? (not that I have tried it...)

I have done all of southern USA solo (except MS, never ventured there). I spent 5 months going from San Antonio through the SW and up to Sacramento. I flew home 1x/ month to go to school (master's program) and to feed the dog and pay bills.

There are very few places I WOULD NOT go (solo or with a body guard)... Yemen, Somalia to name a couple. But all of Asia and Europe should be fine.

Spain is one place it is BEST to be single...

Old 01-10-2012, 01:05 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,119,653 times
I think San Francisco Bay Area & Seattle are great places to visit alone (done it myself multiple times)..lots of ppl by themselves out & about taking public transit in compact settings, lots to see within 2-3 day short trips

I also did Dallas & Atlanta by myself once, relying on public transit- and had a pretty good time

Love traveling solo!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:34 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,134 times
I think it depends on how social you want to be or how much interaction you want with others? Are you driving, flying?

I've always met interesting people while taking the train (and the boring ones you can always get away from - unlike an airplane!)

Do you want to do things by yourself (I like to get out with mny camera) or others (my mom goes on " quilt hops" - other quilters travel together to different shops on a route) ?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,691,247 times
I don't have anywhere in particular to offer, but just in general it can be a lot of fun traveling solo to big cities. You get the opportunity to kind of lose yourself, indulge your whims, and do whatever it is that interests you, without worrying about anyone else's schedule or feelings. And if you're a monophobic eater, street food is a great option.

I traveled solo to Toronto a few years ago a loved it. Hopefully this year I'll be traveling solo, via bus and rail, to NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,522 times
It all depends on the type of person you are.. I travelled in India alone at age 21 because my friends didn't want to go. I spend New Year on a beach in Goa with a bunch of people I met, saw the Taj and Dehli. I have a great time. I did a few holidays in Spain too. Most places are ok alone, you will meet more people. lots of people travel alone.
I have a friend in his 40's who has spent 2 months a year traveling since he was 30. he always goes alone because most of his friends don't get that much time off work. He's seen most of S America, Asia, Australia and Canada.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
I think NYC domestically is good place to travel alone and internationally I think Israel is a good place by oneself as the people are very friendly there.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
What do you like?
I've been traveling the world alone for 30+ years.
The only limitations you have are those you put on yourself.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:13 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
You might want to consider a "theme" cruise based on something you enjoy. Wine, scrapbooking, golf, cooking bicycling, your favorite type of music and bands, the list is endless. Being with people you already have something in common with will make it much easier to meet strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel