Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:35 PM
CVP CVP started this thread

581 posts, read 1,904,356 times

Advertisements

I will be driving cross country in late May (east coast to west coast). I have the choice to take either interstate 70 or 80. I'm interested in taking the more scenic route and I will have time for a little sightseeing as well. Does anyone recommend one route over the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 07:37 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times
If you want cooler go 80 warmer go 70. Bear in mind you may be heading into Tornado season either hwy. Get a weather radio and watch the skies.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:45 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
70 through Colorado and into Utah is pretty scenic. I you have a little time to sightsee, Estes Park, CO is nice and Glenwood Springs, CO has some great hot springs to soak in.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
They are indistinguishable. Driving across the US and back on an interstate is exactly the same as driving backk and forth between Memphis and Little Rock 40 times.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:16 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,646 times
I have driven back and forth across the U.S. quite a few times.
My favorite interstate first is 70 followed by 80.
This is because I was raised in the St. Louis area and prefer to go through that area to see my arch and the metro east IL area as I'm heading towards Colorado.
As another poster said it's coming up on tornado season and from what we've seen in the past couple of weeks it's already here so please be careful and pay attention to local radio and watch the skies.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:52 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
Both 70 & 80 have their features, imo...neither are much fun or 'scenic', east of the Rockies.
Both may have some 'winter like' conditions, even in May, in the higher altitudes of the mountain states.

I feel I-70 offers more interesting views, and is a pretty remarkable highway in spots, for an interstate, esp in western CO, west of the Ike Tunnel, and in parts of UT.

RE: "I will have time for a little sightseeing as well."

If the OP would define what this means in terms of time, eg half an hour a day, a few days from the hard drive west, etc., it would help in terms of offering up some good scenes, views, parks, 2 lane black tops that keep one going 'west', but afford some remarkable scenery, etc. And, where on the east coast and what part of the west coast does your start/finish contain?

We did a 2 month, 13,000 mile Road Trip this past summer, but only occasionally on an interstate, though there are sections that are spectacular, and remarkable that they got built...I would not dismiss all sections of any interstate highway as 'no fun' or boring.

GL, mD

Old 03-11-2012, 01:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
They're pretty equal, except that I-70 west of Denver is much more scenic than is I-80 across most of Wyoming.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times
I-70 in Colorado is one of the most scenic stretches of Interstate I've ever seen, IMO. I-80 in Wyoming is fairly bland for a mountain highway.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM
CVP CVP started this thread

581 posts, read 1,904,356 times
Thank you for your helpful responses. I'm going to take 70 since I've decided to take a day or two to explore the Moab, UT area/Canyonlands National Park. Thanks for the tornado reminders too. I will be taking a weather radio!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
I hear the traffic from I-70 in my house! I live a quarter mile off it. I-70 is you're best bet for scenery. Keep in mind, it dead ends when ya hit I-15 and you'll be going up 15 to SLC when you want to continue west.

A couple notes on I-70. Road construction will be noticeable when you get past the Eisenhower tunnel, about 60 miles west of Denver. Chances are pretty good that CDOT will be doing some work on the road. Whether it's May or earlier I'm not sure. The roads take a pounding in the winter but CDOT does a good job on maintenance.

Lots of picture taking; like 20 miles west of Denver you'll see lots of tourists take pictures of all the buffalo just west of the Mother Cabrini Shrine Rd. From time to time the rocky mountain bighorn sheep can be seen off the road just west of Georgetown as you're hitting the hill coming up on Silver Plume. You're now at 9100 ft. altitude. A nice change of pace on 70 is going over Loveland Pass and stopping in Dillon to stretch your legs as opposed to going through the Eisenhower tunnel.

Glenwood Springs and the Hot Springs in town? Yeaaaa-baby! I-70 is an easy drive to Grand Junction where you'll probably spend the night. Over a dozen hotels and a half dozen restaurants are on the Horizon Drive exit. NOW!!!

Services are limited on the Utah stretch. From Fruita to Green River you have two exits five miles apart that have gasoline and that's it. Then from Green River west you have 108 miles of no services. But lots and lots of beautiful red rock country. Salina is 108 miles west of Green River, Richfield another 20 miles west. I've stayed the night in Richfield several times. Good motels, decent restaurants, and friendly folks.

Right now Grand Junction's gas prices are $3.18 for regular. Temp today was 63 degrees. We've seen what snow we'll see for the season. It's not uncommon to run into snow in the high country in May.

Safe travels to ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel