Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not me, they don't. I get stamped in only. The only time I ever flew, I have only an In-stamp at Cancun, no stamp for departure.
I'll double-check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure they stamp the passports on the way out, too.

Quote:
I've never been stamped out at a land border.
I agree, but unless I'm missing something , Cuba doesn't have any land borders.

Quote:
If I fly from Cancun and then return to Cancun a week later, and Mexico stamps my passport both times, how does the US determine from that whether I went to Havana or Miami?
Pretty easy - had you gone to Miami, the U.S. would've stamped your passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Interesting, from everything I've always seen Mexico stamps in an out.

Also, they have a very easy time finding out where you went, because unless you're flying Cuba Air.. the airline is going to release your name to the US government and you DO NOT want to get caught lying on your immigration slip. You're better off flat out saying you went to cuba on the immigration slip than getting caught in a lie.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,463 times
If I go, I plan to go legally. I got the idea to even visit Cuba from an NY Times article that came out in the summer of last year that discussed the easing of some travel restrictions. There are now a number of companies providing US government approved educational tours of Cuba. As long as you go with one of those companies, there are no worries. I also found out that besides flying through Mexico or Canada, there are a number of charter companies that fly to Havana from Miami for travelers with authorization papers...which the licensed tour companies provide.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I flew from Detroit to Cancun and back, and the US didn't stamp my passport going or coming. Cancun stamped it once, when I arrived, but not when I left. I flew out of Houston and Miami to South America, and flew back into Miami several times, and never got stamped once. I think the only time I ever got stamped flying into the US was at JFK once on a flight from London. I looked through my last three passports, with at least 6 flights each way out of and into the USA, and not a single stamp.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Nope. I flew from Detroit to Cancun and back, and the US didn't stamp my passport going or coming. Cancun stamped it once, when I landed, but not when I left. I flew out of Houston and Miami to South America, and flew back into Miami several times, and never got stamped once. I think the only time I ever got stamped flying into the US was at JFK once on a flight from London. I looked through my last three passports, with at least 6 flights each way out of and into the USA, and not a single stamp.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nope. I flew from Detroit to Cancun and back, and the US didn't stamp my passport going or coming. Cancun stamped it once, when I landed, but not when I left. I flew out of Houston and Miami to South America, and flew back into Miami several times, and never got stamped once. I think the only time I ever got stamped flying into the US was at JFK once on a flight from London. I looked through my last three passports, with at least 6 flights each way out of and into the USA, and not a single stamp.
I'm sure the passports are not stamped EVERY time, but I don't think it's worth the gamble.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I've done quite a bit of research on this.

Your best bet is actually flying through Cancun and flying Cuba Air because both the airline and Mexico does not release the information to the US government.

You do not want to get caught lying on your customs slip on your way back -- that is perjury and you can actually get in more trouble for lying on that than you can for going to Cuba. The maximum fine for going to Cuba is pretty hefty, so it is something to keep in mind.

Your chances of getting caught and prosecuted are actually pretty low, but your best bet is probably flying from Cancun, plus it is a cheap flight.

Not going to lie, your chances of getting a legal flight there are slim to none, unless you have a real legit reason to go, they aren't going to let any guy just BS his way in because he wants to travel there.

[mod]orphaned[/mod]
How about to Cuba by flying through the Bahamas? Does the Bahamas release the information to the US government or not?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCenterRight View Post
How about to Cuba by flying through the Bahamas? Does the Bahamas release the information to the US government or not?

It isn't the country, it is the airline from what I know

Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 AM

3 posts, read 9,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It isn't the country, it is the airline from what I know
The airline that goes from Nassau, Bahamas to Havana, Cuba is Bahamasair. Does Bahamasair release info to US government?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Martel View Post
The airline that goes from Nassau, Bahamas to Havana, Cuba is Bahamasair. Does Bahamasair release info to US government?
I'm very sorry, but I do not know the answer to that one. You can try searching google or lonely planet, that's where I got most of my information about people (americans) going to Cuba.

From what I've seen it is a risk and a possibility of some hefty fines, but the chances of actually being caught and prosecuted are pretty low. It's up to you if you want to take the risk of getting caught doing it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel