Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times

Advertisements

Just don't do it on the same ticket.

Go to Mexico or Canada, or anywhere in Central America or the Carribean on a return ticket.

Once there, purchase your ticket from a non-US flagged airline, and travel to Cuba. Airlines only report to the US if they're flying to/from the US. If the ticket is issued in conjunction with your domestic ticket, US also has visibility of the whole itinerary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 07:27 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times

MOD Note: A few of you have been skirting real close to illegal suggestions here, so just a reminder that City-Data does not advocate, nor does it condone the posting of, any illegal activities.

Per the
Terms of Service (ToS) that everyone agreed to when they became a member:

Quote:
You warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Moderator, there are discussions advocating or tolerating illegal activities in almost every thread in these forums, from illegal pollution control in the Automotive forum to ordering glasses online with a Rx that is out of date, to establishing false residence to avoid out of state tuition fees, to ordering goods on line and not voluntarily remitting sales tax to your state of residence, to stealing an extra napkin when leaving McDonalds, to how much over the speed limit you can drive without risking a ticket, to throwing AA batteries in the household trash, to occupyiing Wall Street, to disparaging a protected class, to teenage smoking and drinking and adult recreational drug use, to the criminal actions of Rosa Parks. Not to mention medical and legal and pharmacological advice given by unqualified practitioners.

Just something to keep in mind if thinking about censoring a thread merely because it references or even advocates a technical violation of a law that is never enforced. My reading of the TOS, by the way, is that it proscribes illegal language or content, not discussion of illegal activity. It would have been worded very differently and unambiguously if such a prohibition were its intent. The First Amendment exists exactly to free the American people to advocate resistance to unjust laws.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-31-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
I do find the law to be ridiculous. We live in a free country and we are supposed to have free will as long as we are not hurting anybody else in the process. I don't understand how traveling to Cuba is hurting any other person in this country. It is an unfair law that I feel is a violation of my freedom.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
I was looking at the websites of some of these groups that offer "legal" trips to Cuba.
I noticed two things right off
1 They are not cheap. For the price and value of the peso in Cuba, one could travel to about any other Caribbean country far cheaper
2 The "Educational" tours look like fronts for an excuse to just take a group there. one offers a "Latin Jazz" educational tour, which will include attending performances by local jazz musicians. THIS could well equal sitting in a bar drinking for hours on end and listening to some jazz singer. Nothing wrong with that, I do it on cruises and in other countries all the time, but it seems like a flimsy way to skirt the law on Cuban travel.
Personally, I am totally against the travel ban. I do not encourage people to break the law to travel there, but I do not agree with that aspect of foreign policy. But that is a better thread for the political board. . rse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel