U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:23 AM

29,097 posts, read 24,165,009 times

Advertisements

Was bored so I googled this - and actually found directions! Thought the "kayak across the Pacific Ocean" part was good advice. Green transportation.

Los Angeles, CA and Honolulu, HI best route map, driving direction
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:17 AM

8,600 posts, read 5,695,289 times
I did something like this 5 or 6 years ago driving directions from New York to London, England. I think it said something like it would take 30 days to paddle across the Atlantic.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:46 AM

16,408 posts, read 28,736,416 times
I'm still waiting for someone to actually try to do this, fail and sue google

Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM

42,661 posts, read 80,549,555 times
I just tried googling from Michigan to Honolulu, and it recommends that I start kayaking at Gas Works Park on Lake Union in Seattle Washington. However, if I google to Nome, Alaska, it just says Google cannot calculate that route, so I guess kayaking in Alaskan waters is not recommended. It also cannot calculate the route to Mackinac Island, Michigan, which is apparently also beyond the expectations of Google kayakers.

Once reaching Hawaii, the Kayak landfall is a cove on the north coast of Oahu, and not right into Honolulu. However, if one requests directions to Maui or Hilo, Hawaii, google regretfully reports that they cannot calculate that.

Even from Acapulco, Mexico, to Honolulu, the still route you to that same kayak departure point in the Gas Works Park in Seattle, via Cortez, Colorado.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-02-2012 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,075,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I just tried googling from Michigan to Honolulu, and it recommends that I start kayaking at Gas Works Park on Lake Union in Seattle Washington. However, if I google to Nome, Alaska, it just says Google cannot calculate that route, so I guess kayaking in Alaskan waters is not recommended. It also cannot calculate the route to Mackinac Island, Michigan, which is apparently also beyond the expectations of Google kayakers.

Once reaching Hawaii, the Kayak landfall is a cove on the north coast of Oahu, and not right into Honolulu. However, if one requests directions to Maui or Hilo, Hawaii, google regretfully reports that they cannot calculate that.

Even from Acapulco, Mexico, to Honolulu, the still route you to that same kayak departure point in the Gas Works Park in Seattle, via Cortez, Colorado.
The thing with Nome is that there is a way to get there by land just not by roads. So I guess it does not say hike the Alaskan wilderness or use a snow dog sled.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 PM

5,382 posts, read 14,851,237 times
Or, you could wait until the tsunami wreckage hits our west coast, and then, hitch a ride back towards Hawaii! It will eventually get there!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:55 PM

29,097 posts, read 24,165,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
The thing with Nome is that there is a way to get there by land just not by roads. So I guess it does not say hike the Alaskan wilderness or use a snow dog sled.
Yes - I tried to get driving directions from Barrow, Alaska to Panama City, Panama. I couldn't get results until I started the trip in Fairbanks - since Barrow is only accessible by airplane (I suppose you could go overland or oversea - but it would be difficult and you would need some serious money and equipment).

What was interesting is that the directions routed me through North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. This really is the shortest route since Central America mostly lies between New Orleans and New York.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 PM

14,743 posts, read 31,173,286 times
Back in the day, there was actually passenger liner service between San Francisco and Honolulu. The company was called American President Lines. I don't know if they called on the port of Los Angeles.
Regardless, I think it would be very cool to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge en route to, or arriving from, Honolulu.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 PM

6,920 posts, read 7,104,777 times
Several years ago I pulled up driving directions from Anchorage, AK to Sitka, AK using some mapping software. Sitka is located on an island with no road service to it. It actually gave driving directions from Anchorage to Haines and then said to take the ferry from Haines to Sitka

Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,662,695 times
I wonder if it's still possible to go by ship to Honolulu? That would be such a cool journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel