Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 12:12 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, since Allegiant, sunk down to the level of these lousy carriers that do this, starting tomorrow.

Allegiant Air Carry-On Fee: Budget Airline Announces $35 Fee.

So saying if you pay these fees that the airport, you can wind up paying, for 1 checked bag and 1 carry on bag, 140 dollars, just for a couple of lousy bags. Some of Allegiants fares, are worth that much round trip.
I wonder how Spirit is making out with this. I'm on the West Coast and don't have to fly them, however, I work for a travel consulting firm and we are told not to put passengers on Spirit and this is a huge reason why.
I know that fuel is killing some of these airlines, but why not sell advertising on the overhead bins and tray tables, before coming up with crap like charging for a carry on (charging for checked bags, at least the 1st one, is rotten enough)?
I assume that Spirit has a heck of a time, getting flights out on time, part due to, gate agents having to collect these fees while boarding the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 06:26 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
I think most people would be better off not flying on these so-called "budget airlines".

Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
It has been working fine with Spirit they are an airline that makes money. It is a good business plan. They are not an airline that is good for flying cross country for a business trip or a two week vacation. But if you do not mind little service and cramped seats why not take a cheap fare from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago for a two day trip that only needs a back pack.

Advertisments on the planes whether by paper or paint would add weight to the planes meaning more fuel. This is an easier way to make money. Some of Spirits fares are very low so sometimes all the cost even out.

Thank being said I flew Spirit once a few years ago before they starting charging for carry on bags, the normal coach seat was terrible service was bad. I never plan to fly them again unless it is for free or a crazy low price for a quick 1-2 day trip. Then it makes sense.
Spirit has been expanding a lot recently too, they got good minds running that airline.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Well I'm one of the few advocates for Spirit on this site, and I have never had a problem flying with them. I have never had any "hiddden" fees tacked on or anything of the sort. It is all pretty straightforward. Remember, you don't always have to pay for a carry-on with Spirit. If it fits under the seat you are not charged for it. I have never had any problems with it, nor have I been charged. A lot of times they don't even check, and you can even sneek on with it if it is bigger. I once brought 2 checked bags for free.

You don't get amenities, you pay for everything even a coke. If that's something that's important then you'll have to pay for your drink and peanuts.

The flights are fine and the seats really depend on the aircraft you get. I've flown flights with them where your legs are pretty cramped and your knees are touching the seat in front of you and I've also had flights with them with quite a bit of legroom, just as much if not more than any other legacy airline (unless you've got economy+ of course, but idk what United did with that after the demise of my poor continental).

All in all, if you know what you're getting into, it is definitely worth the money saved if you calculate it out and it is less money. Flights aren't delayed any more than they are with other airlines etc etc.

If you're a business traveler, it really isn't something I'd recommend. There's no business class and what's the point of being a frequent flyer if you can't get an upgrade.. even though it seems like you need Diamond to get one now

It is great for weekend getaways if you want to do something nice and cheap. I've flown with them quite a few times within the last year and also some time before that internationally.

Hope I cleared things up for ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel