Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Hawaiian island for vacation
Kauai 5 20.83%
Oahu 7 29.17%
Maui 7 29.17%
Hawaii (the Big Island) 4 16.67%
Molokai 1 4.17%
Lanai 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,128 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have been to Hawaii, what is your favorite island for vacationing? I know this is highly subjective, as we all look for different things in a vacation but I am looking for overall opinions. Please vote in the poll above and feel free to elaborate.

I know each island has their own character and charm and I thought it would be fun to discuss, as I am currently considering a Hawaiian vacation and would love the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 03:18 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
IF I HAD TO PICK ONLY ONE......

It would be Oahu, maninly because it is a mini cosmopolitan area from Big City lights to rural back area charm. There is few hawaiian island attractions that isn;t available on Oahu for the looking. Its also the tourist central so if you want the real world charm, you do the real world hawaii things, But if you need the Hollywood/Travel Channel hawaii, its just a few steps away. (I;m also a bit bias because I lived there and worked there for many years)

Next favorite is probably the BI because it's size makes it have so many different things and places and climates. You can be relazing in the broiling sun of the Kona district barren desert and a short drive awaty your either in the lush rainforest of waipio or the cool (at times down right cold) snow of Mauna Kea. You have the active volcanos, green sands, black sands, waterfalls, snow, rain forset da plume, cowboys, rasta mon hippy, winds to know the cows over, desert and every place, thing and people in between. It's also nice and spread out that getting away from it all is easily doable.

Molakai, Lanai and Kaui tie fro thrid palce. Kaui is just an amazing island with sceanery and vegetation unlike anywhere else on hawaii. the only down side to kaui is that place on the west end with those guy who insist on shooting off missles and blowing up everything they can. Molokai is so rich in old world hawaii that although tourist are more a pain than a benefit to many residents, they can't spend enough time showing you the hawaii of decades ago. On this island you get to see the beauty of Hwawaii and the tragady of mainlander's inhumane treatment of man. Lanai, well what can we say. I hate the new hotels and wish they go bellyup because that was one heck of a beautify, self sustaining and togetehr place until the resorst and golf courses took over. But since the town itself pretty much refused to be taken over by the touris influence, anyone visiting Hawaii has to see Lanai.

Maui, well maui is beautiful but reminds me a little too much of Florida or californai. Maui also tends to have the sbootest transplants and that has sort of dragged the image into one of a upscale rich and famous playground although the vast cane fields and preserves still domonate the island.

A place like hawaii is so hard to pick a single island after spending time all over and seeing more than just the tour guide Hawaii....

Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
I haven't been to the Big Island, so factor that in ...

Maui is by far my favorite. It's populated enough there's enough to do, but not so overcrowded like I find (or should say, found) Oahu to be. And I haven't been there in over 20 years to stay. Kauai is a lovely island, and would be my second pick. And Molokai and Lanai are great, but too quiet for a whole vacation.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
I've been to Oahu, the Big Island and Kauai.

Tough decision, but the Big Island gets my vote. Volcanoes National Park took my breath away. Also enjoyed Hilo and the lush, rainy side of the island. Saw amazing sea turtles and a coffee plantation on the Kona coast.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:48 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times
I've only been to Oahu as well. (Husband has to travel there often for work and I tag along since the car/hotel/his airfare are already paid). I'd really like to see the other islands (volcanos!) but Oahu seems to have something for everyone.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
We've been to Maui and Lanai....I'd love to see the Big Island of Hawaii and also Kauai....one day, maybe!
Maui was alot of fun, easy to get around, and lots to do. Lanai...very rural an undeveloped...wouldn't want to spend an entire week there, but it was beautiful, nevertheless!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,128 times
Great posts and insight, everyone. I think that the diversity of the islands is what has always fascinated me about Hawaii. It seems that every island has its own feel and charm, so it's a difficult decision which one I will choose to visit. Maybe I should go on a cruise so I can see all of them!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I think that the diversity of the islands is what has always fascinated me about Hawaii. It seems that every island has its own feel and charm, so it's a difficult decision which one I will choose to visit.
That is it in a nutshell. each island has its own feel and flavor. A lot depends on what it is you are seeking and what it is you enjoy. There are people, who come to Hawaii for the Waikiki experience and for PCC, so they tend to like Oahu & Maui. But others are looking for the nature so Kauai and the BI is for them.

The one thing I do tell everyone who is going to Hawaii is that you need to know what you want to leave with and do the things that satisfy that need. If you expect the hula shows and luau, don't be embarrased to do the hollywood hawaii. heck, I even go to the shows. if you expect to hang with Rasta Mon Hippi, hit the jungle and hang with them. If you want to go to Sunday church with Auntie, walk proudly in your lau hala with her to church. If you have the need to just visit Pearl Harbor, do it. The true beauty of Hawaii is that enjoying and relaxing is fashionable be it natural or staged.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM

182 posts, read 477,291 times
I would definitely say Oahu, followed by the Big Island.

My parents sent me to Hawaii for my college graduation present and it was beautiful. I stayed on Oahu (Hilton Hawaiian for a few days and the Outrigger on the Beach for the other few days), but got the opportunity to visit the Big Island and Maui as well.

Oahu seemed like it had everything. I absolutely loved Waikiki Beach, I was forunate enough to be there for the 4th of July, so I got to see the fireworks right from the beach. Got a chance to checkout Pearl Harbor and Hanauma Bay as well. The shopping and dining was great and I had a blast snorkeling, para-sailing and trying to wakeboard.

The Big Island was pure beauty. I did a helicopter tour over Mount Kilauea and a driving tour of Volcanoes National Park.

As far as Maui, I wasn't really impressed. It seemed like everything I saw could be done at the other islands for a lot less money. The positive thing is that it wasn't anywhere near as crowded/congested at Oahu.

If I make it back to Hawaii at some point (I'd love to take my wife), I'd probably go back to Oahu and the Big Island and maybe try to visit Kauai. My parents have been to all of the islands (they did a cruise and land vacation in Hawaii) and I think they enjoyed Oahu the most as well.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:54 PM

61 posts, read 208,934 times
My vote would be for Oahu, though you can't go wrong with any of the islands and it really depends on what you're looking for. Having lived in Hawaii for many years, I'd agree with some of the other posters when they say it offers a little of everything. If you do end up on Oahu there are plenty of things to see and do, both touristy and otherwise. Popular tourist attractions are the Polynesian Cultural Center, Sea Life Park, snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, a visit to the U.S.S. Arizona, a trek up Diamondhead. For beaches though, have a peek at Waikiki beach (my least fav on the island), but then explore other areas, there are a lot of other options. In all the years I lived there, I only went to Waikiki beach twice.
Most family who came to visit really enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center as it highlights more than just the Hawaiian islands and has a big luau with hula and fire dancing at the end of the night. Feel free to message me, I still have friends on the island who would be happy to help get you any additional info. Good luck and enjoy your trip whichever island you choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel