Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy this Forum as many of you have great tips and suggestions. I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip this summer as I now have my June and July schedule from work. Here are my perimeters:

When: Late June/early July (June 28-July 4th, July 6th-15th)
Length: 7 days
Locations: US and Canada ONLY (except the Southeast due to the humidity)
Activities: Touristy things, cultural activities, great food ...
Not into: sports or outdoor recreational activities, history
Transportation: I do not drive so I will need to utilize mass transit and my little feet to get around

I will be traveling solo for this trip and have traveled solo previously. I would like to try something different as I have already done NYC, Orlando, Seattle, Victoria (Canada) and many places in California - all solo trips. I was considering going on a cruise but the itineraries are limited for my time frame so that's out.

Any fresh ideas welcomed because I'm in a rut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Your dates and NO HUMIDITY would first thrust me to CA. (SF or San Diego, as it sounds like you need to be in a city, and national parks are crowded at that time)

Portland, OR has Rose Festival during that time (June - many events). But it might still be rainy on occassion (till july 5th, then dry for 80 days).
Vancouver, WA claims to have biggest 4th of July Fireworks west of Missisppi River.

Chamber Music NW (PDX) is in late june and early july, and is a nice festival @ Reed College and vicinity. (Also many events in the Columbia Gorge in summer ~ 1 hr east of PDX; and OR beach is one hr west)

Colorado, WY, Utah, NM, ID, MT are other nice choices, but potentially crowded in mid summer.

There are nice 'destinations' in each of those states.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
How about the train trip through the Canadian Rockies, between Vancouver and Calgary? Plus a few days in Vancouver. Not cheap, but I've heard it's great. The Rocky Mountaineer has several different routes.

Or an Alaska cruise. Most are just 7 days, so you'd have to squeeze an extra travel day in probably, plus a quick trip between home and Seattle or Vancouver.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the ideas ... Especially the Canadian Rockies train trip (I'll have to look into this...) and the Rose Festival in Portland, OR ... I just need to see if there's mass transit that would allow me to get around easily.

I was wondering if there is train service that would make traveling between Montreal and Toronto feasible?

Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I would suggest Philadelphia, Washington, D.C. and also Boston as cities where one can get around to see the main attractions using public transportation.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 PM

That was one of my ideas as I know that it is possible, via Amtrak, to commute between these cities and get to squeeze more things into my trip.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I would suggest Philadelphia, Washington, D.C. and also Boston as cities where one can get around to see the main attractions using public transportation.
Washington DC is consistently one of the most hot and humid cities during that period.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I was wondering if there is train service that would make traveling between Montreal and Toronto feasible?
Oh sure there is. Not special tourist, scenic trains, but there are probably 5 trains a day, some direct, or some thru Ottawa. You could also do Toronto - Ottawa - Montreal. Ottawa is a very pretty little city, with lots of museums and beautiful parks. For rail info, go here: VIA Rail Canada: Train travel in Canada

You could add Quebec City as well, although 4 cities in 7 days is probably too many.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
How about the Texas Hill Country? It's a lovely area and there appear to be bus tours available. I guess you could fly into Austin, itself worth a look around.

Hill Country of Texas Guide and Information at Texas Hill Country

Old 04-15-2012, 12:28 PM

40 posts, read 46,709 times
Lake Tahoe both the California and Nevada Side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel