U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 PM

4,037 posts, read 9,456,641 times

Advertisements

I travel frequently and almost always alone. I've noticed in the last year or so that I've had my seat switched on almost half of the flights I've taken. A few times I've even had to receive my assignment at the gate. I'm fed up with it. The gate agents say they want "flexibility" but I feel that I'm being picked on because I'm traveling alone.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anything you can do about it?

In the theater it's illegal to switch a person's seat assignment after s/he has bought a ticket.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 PM

45,734 posts, read 65,310,952 times
Airlines can change seat assignments - Travel - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/life/travel/article570099.ece - broken link)
I think they can for many reasons. To put families together, to balance a weight etc. An airline can even take your seat away entirely (involuntary denied boarding), in which case it is required to provide cash compensation.
Can the Airline Take Away My Assigned Aisle Seat? - SmarterTravel.com
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:59 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,858,133 times
Yes, I sometimes have the problem, but not only when travelling alone. Sometimes they change the aircraft, sometimes they block seats for Frequent Flyer Gold Members whatever, actually I hate it to fly without a window seat.

I guess they often chose people without a status on that airline, because they don't care about people without status. I don't have any status, because I always fly on different airlines and alliances like Star Alliance, Oneworld, Skyteam or airlines like Cubana, Bahamasair, Southwest etc. without alliance membership.

In case of an online reservation for a "premium seat" like window or aisle at AA instead of a middle seat in a 2-5-2 config Boeing 777 (for which you have to pay extra fee), are there any rights for compensation, if they change the seat?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:55 AM

328 posts, read 601,405 times
I'm gold on Emirates and United/Star Alliance and I love getting to pick a seat that's already taken since I sometimes wait to the last minute to book a flight.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 AM

3,247 posts, read 8,500,790 times
I fly often but don't have any high level status with any carrier since I am always flying different carriers and can't rack up enough miles on one. I rarely have my seat switched (I mainly fly alone) but no status holder would want to bump me since I am not occupying a premium seat...just a regular crappy seat in steerage...I mean Coach. My company generally puts me on Delta and US Airways and 80% of the time I am on an Embraer or some other 50 seater commuter jet type thing, so that may be why.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 AM

36,448 posts, read 36,573,594 times
When one buys an airline ticket, one is not buying any particular seat (like in a theater). One is only buying a seat of a particular type in a particular class (such as first/business/economy etc.).

Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,836,957 times
I have never had this issue. Fly mostly alone.
Is there a certain airline you are flying that is doing this?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:51 PM

45,734 posts, read 65,310,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When one buys an airline ticket, one is not buying any particular seat (like in a theater). One is only buying a seat of a particular type in a particular class (such as first/business/economy etc.).
Then I guess, seatguru.com is pretty futile now.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 PM

1,982 posts, read 3,003,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
I'm gold on Emirates and United/Star Alliance and I love getting to pick a seat that's already taken since I sometimes wait to the last minute to book a flight.
Why is there some sort of joy in being able to do that to someone?

Last edited by tarragon; 04-17-2012 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 AM

328 posts, read 601,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Why is there some sort of joy in being able to do that to someone?
Hey, I spent time and money so I deserve the perks. I'm tall and I want the exit row or a window seat in the bulkhead and I'm going to get it.

Unrelated:There should be a height requirement for exit row seats. If you're 5'4 you don't need that seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel