Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

Hi, when I was in Europe a few years ago I did a road trip and rented with AutoEurope, I picked up my car in Aachen, Germany and drove south towards Munich then east through Austria, Slovakia and then north through Prague before reaching Berlin and dropping my car off at the Tegel airport there for no extra charge. The deal was that returns within the same country do not incur any extra fees. It was absolutely BRILLIANT (off topic - 5* recommendation for AutoEurope they are amazing!)

Any similar thing here in the US? or am I just dreaming??

Most of the places I have checked the rental rates are about thrice as high if you drop off at another location.

Obviously there has to be a limitation since the US is a huge country but I am wondering if there is anyone who will waive the drop off charge if I can drop off within the same state...for instance one pickup at one end of California and drop off at the other end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Most Car Rental places are Franchises, They 'own' the cars (and want them back), There are some deals, and contracts (Corp agreements) that allow 'free' drop offs, or drop off within a region.

Each year I get email from Hertz & Avis for real cheap rental from FL to anywhere on the East Coast, with no drop off charge. As the 'right' size the fleet in FL after the summer season.

My Hertz/Gold Corp will allow me to drop off car with in the 'region'.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Yeah... I know. I wish we have such deals here too...
One-Way Car Rentals and Driveaways | IndependentTraveler.com
http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/specia...TabLink=tlink1 I bet that the "no drop fees" are utilized somewhere else in the price
One way rental with no drop off fee - does it exist? here is a hope, maybe....
But so far I can see, we are out of luck...

Old 04-27-2012, 01:25 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Most Car Rental places are Franchises, They 'own' the cars (and want them back), There are some deals, and contracts (Corp agreements) that allow 'free' drop offs, or drop off within a region.

Each year I get email from Hertz & Avis for real cheap rental from FL to anywhere on the East Coast, with no drop off charge. As the 'right' size the fleet in FL after the summer season.

I've gotten those offers as well.... I think they are shuffling cars after spring break or something? I think that the last one I got about a month ago was for like $9 a day plus they threw in a free tank of gas...

Old 04-27-2012, 01:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Yes, you need to carefully choose your pickup and drop point and time of yr. Some 're-locations' will benefit the rental company.

Alternatively, you can 'deliver' a private car via craigslist.

I have been known to buy a cheap car (~$100), not register it, and leave it at the departing airport. (not that that is recommended or legal...)

Old 04-27-2012, 02:16 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
My company just paid $250 dollars for me to fly into one airport and drop the rental car off at an airport 200 miles away all in a 24 hour period. Glad that wasn't on my dime!

Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

Those Florida deals generally are good between the end of Spring Training or Easter in April and the end of June. They involve picking up the car in Florida and delivering the car to some point outside of Florida (some require delivery to the SE states).

I have paid as little as $40 on a ten day rental (including taxes) on some of these trips.

===============

In addition to Florida, you can occasionally find deals between Las Vegas and Phoenix, again after spring training.

================

Occasionally, you can find deals that allow one-way rentals without a drop-off fee. You generally pay MORE per day. For example, on a trip between Des Moines, IA and Chicago, the normal rental is $42 while the one-way rate is $69.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times
Hertz allows one-way no drop-off charge, not 100% of the time but very close to it. We use Hertz very often mostly because of that reason. The most recent time was two months ago, in Feb, when we rented a Hertz car for our family members to drive from Southern CA to SW Florida (picked up at a Hertz city office in CA and dropped off at a Hertz airport location in FL,) no drop-off charge, and with unlimited mileage. We paid $382 (full insurance and taxes included) for a two-week rental period.

Within the state of CA and FL, no drop-off charge and unlimited mileage deals are very easy to find. In FL, we always rented a car to drive from our home to the airport (2.5 hr away,) dropped it off there before starting our trip, then at the end of the trip, rented another car at the airport to drive home. Even with airport taxes, it still ended up less expensive than driving our own car and paying the long-term parking cost for two weeks or more.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 04-28-2012 at 04:49 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
As has already been noted, it depends on where and when you're dropping it off. Some places need the extra vehicles, and there is no extra drop-off charge. The last couple times I've dropped one off (2000 miles and 350 miles) there was no drop-off charge.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
hertz is the best for this in my experience.

as mentioned earlier, franchise places usually wont go for it. i've gotten away with it before (with budget and enterprise) but it's not 100%. never had a problem doing tihs w/ hertz. hertz seems to be the cheapest for long term rental right now anyway so i've been using them exclusively this year.

btw what's the benefit of hertz gold? someone mentioned that, just wondering. have been renting a car w them since january and according to the site i should qualify for hertz 5 star gold i think. doesn't seem like there are many benefits, or am i mistaken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel