Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:46 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

How many stories up is 300 feet? That's how far up the doomed flight American Airlines 191 was before it crashed

I'm sorry to be morbid but this has been on my mind

is that really that far for a plane to fall and cause so much destruction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:17 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
How many stories up is 300 feet? That's how far up the doomed flight American Airlines 191 was before it crashed

300 feet is roughly equivalent to 30 stories. If the aircraft was on a straight, level descent for those 300 feet, there probably would have been a number of survivors. Part of the problem, though, was the position of the aircraft, and the speed at which it was traveling when it crashed. This webpage on Wikipedia covers the details fairly well:
American Airlines Flight 191 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-16-2009, 12:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:

A 200-ton plane traveling at 200 miles an hour carrying 10,000 gallons of fuel is going to cause a lot of damage no matter what height it falls from.

I remember that day vividly even though I was very young. You could see the billowing smoke from my house. This was during the Cold War and I thought we were being nuked.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:02 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Its not like it just fell. It was going at takeoff speed, it was at a high angle of flight and was loaded with fuel since it was just seconds after takeoff. I mean people die in car crashes at 60mph why would you expect a plane going 200mph to be any different?

Why do you ask anyway?

Old 11-16-2009, 05:52 AM

Default I developed

a thing about planes since i started flying again. I don't know how else to explain it

Old 11-16-2009, 05:55 AM

Default I suppose

I'm comparing it to the Turkish Airlines disaster 5 years prior which fell from 13,000 feet after the cargo door blew off and caused explosive decompression

Seems that the aftermath in both flights was the same even tho the first plane fell from a much greater altitude

Old 11-16-2009, 06:10 AM

Default Drover

that day May 25th 1979 was a bad day it seems. That was the day Etan Patz dissapeared in NYC and was never found and I think someone was put to death on that day too after the state restored the death penalty in that particular state

And we started to have an oil crisis around then too

Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
The low altitude probably contributed to the results. Had the plane been at flight altitude, the crew would have had more time to react and find a solution to their sudden predicament. Aircraft seldom just "fall" out of the sky. This one went in at a 21 degree nose-down angle. The problem was that it was banked at a 112 degree angle, and that's mainly because the pilot's electrical power supply was ripped away with the engine.

As with almost all plane crashes, it wasn't the altitude that caused the damage; it was the forward movement of the plane as it went in. Crash your car at 200 mph and you're not likely to survive either.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:37 AM

Default here's another question

i hope i don't get reprimanded for this question. if the planes that hit the WTC in 2001 hit with no fuel in the tanks(say hypothetically they ran out of fuel) would there be any survivors on the planes? i know there would have been much more in the towers because any fires would have been confined to inside the WTC related to electrical and internal gas lines but not due to 13,000 gallons of fuel

would a plane with no fuel impacting the towers at 400 mph rip away the concrete of the wtc or would it be vice versa--that the concrete would rip away at any plane passenger's path? or would the plane simply come out the other end?

i'm just trying to still make sense of that experience after 8 years

i'm sorry i know it's morbid

i still feel the most for those in the planes because altho most did not make it out of the wtc, technically there still could have been a way out if one was lucky enough(and many were)

i guess what i am asking is does the fuel explosion aggravate the impact? i'm guessing it does

Old 11-18-2009, 11:49 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
i hope i don't get reprimanded for this question. if the planes that hit the WTC in 2001 hit with no fuel in the tanks(say hypothetically they ran out of fuel) would there be any survivors on the planes? i know there would have been much more in the towers because any fires would have been confined to inside the WTC related to electrical and internal gas lines but not due to 13,000 gallons of fuel

would a plane with no fuel impacting the towers at 400 mph rip away the concrete of the wtc or would it be vice versa--that the concrete would rip away at any plane passenger's path? or would the plane simply come out the other end?

i'm just trying to still make sense of that experience after 8 years

i'm sorry i know it's morbid

i still feel the most for those in the planes because altho most did not make it out of the wtc, technically there still could have been a way out if one was lucky enough(and many were)

i guess what i am asking is does the fuel explosion aggravate the impact? i'm guessing it does
No not a chance of survival.

YouTube - What happens when an airplane hits a concrete wall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel