Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,718 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Just wondering if I should complain to the airline?
The people in front of us had their seats all the way reclined the entire flight .......
Surely you are kidding (or maybe of gen X "entitlement" age).

If this was a domestic flight (i.e. short). I wouldn't sweat it at all, tho if it bugged you, shoulda made your point clear AT THE TIME.

We did LOTS of international flying with small kids, and I would have never even thought to complain. (I certainly don't like people in front of ME reclining).

US airlines fly LOTS of people daily, and stuff happens all the time. I can give them some slack for a silly 1-6hr flight. That is not much 'suffering' in the scheme of things. Life is short. Choose your battles wisely, you can't fight them all. Besides flying in USA is a BARGAIN. Try driving next time, that isn't always so great (and I LOVE to drive LONG trips, but air is now MUCH cheaper / faster.)

Do take note of the above comments about 'whining'... and consider the example you might be to your toddler That could come back to haunt you BIG TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 AM

943 posts, read 1,845,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Well, I didn't even notice until we were in the air and I went to recline so I'm not sure how much good asking for a seat change for all three of us would have done - not that there were any empty seats to be had.... and I'm sure an upgrade wan't an option either.

IF you don't ask you never find out do you????! There may have been seats in Biz / First most airlines are more accommodating to parents with children in situations like this. I was on a flight when a person noticed the head rest was damp when they returned from there visit to the loo and we were already flying....they spoke to a attendant and were given a seat in biz class and ended up sitting next to me and enjoyed a comp upgrade to London on Continental . That is a very big upgrade to get for a damp head rest.

Furthermore, I don't know many parents who would allow a tray to constantly hit their child in the head without speaking up. Also the person infront of you has the right to put their seat in recline when it is allowed, If I recall that is what you wanted to do with your seats.

Since you did not complain when it occurred and your here asking us and still have not brought this to the attention to the airline...... I have to say you have no claim. We cant do much for you and your experience........ So next time speak to someone when the issue rises.

Last edited by =Lavender=; 05-10-2012 at 07:07 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
My seat broke (because the guy in front of me kept pushing it forward with his feet).

Flight attendant said it was TS and she couldn't do anything about it or him constantly kicking me for the entire 8 hour flight.

Wrote a letter to American Airlines. They didn't even apologize or address it.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
IF you don't ask you never find out do you????! There may have been seats in Biz / First most airlines are more accommodating to parents with children in situations like this. I was on a flight when a person noticed the head rest was damp when they returned from there visit to the loo and we were already flying....they spoke to a attendant and were given a seat in biz class and ended up sitting next to me and enjoyed a comp upgrade to London on Continental . That is a very big upgrade to get for a damp head rest.

Furthermore, I don't know many parents who would allow a tray to constantly hit their child in the head without speaking up. Also the person infront of you has the right to put their seat in recline when it is allowed, If I recall that is what you wanted to do with your seats.

Since you did not complain when it occurred and your here asking us and still have not brought this to the attention to the airline...... I have to say you have no claim. We cant do much for you and your experience........ So next time speak to someone when the issue rises.
Very, very, very seldom are there empty seats in F on a domestic flight. The airlines will upgrade their frequent flyers, military on orders, and deadheading crew long before the flight begins to board.

If the problem was pointed out prior to take off, they would ahve gotten maintenance to fix the loose latch and they might have tried to juggle some people around to put together another three across with seats that all recline, but upgrading all three to F? Not going to happen.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Very, very, very seldom are there empty seats in F on a domestic flight. The airlines will upgrade their frequent flyers, military on orders, and deadheading crew long before the flight begins to board.

If the problem was pointed out prior to take off, they would ahve gotten maintenance to fix the loose latch and they might have tried to juggle some people around to put together another three across with seats that all recline, but upgrading all three to F? Not going to happen.
Exactly - before the flight - they asked people to check carry-ons and referred the the flight as "very full". I fly quite a bit and the last flight I was on that had any empty seats was several years ago (a red eye from SD to Phoenix).

I mentioned the seat issue to the FA but honestly, what the heck was she going to do about it or the tray once we were in the air?

I'm not upset that the person in front of me had their seat reclined in the slightest! Not being able to recline the window seat (where I was sitting) and trying to keep a hand on a tray (in the middle seat where my daughter was sitting) to keep it from flying open while trying to keep a toddler occupied (for the comfort of everyone) wasn't fun though...

Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit;24238221[B
]Surely you are kidding (or maybe of gen X "entitlement" age). [/b]

If this was a domestic flight (i.e. short). I wouldn't sweat it at all, tho if it bugged you, shoulda made your point clear AT THE TIME.

We did LOTS of international flying with small kids, and I would have never even thought to complain. (I certainly don't like people in front of ME reclining).

US airlines fly LOTS of people daily, and stuff happens all the time. I can give them some slack for a silly 1-6hr flight. That is not much 'suffering' in the scheme of things. Life is short. Choose your battles wisely, you can't fight them all. Besides flying in USA is a BARGAIN. Try driving next time, that isn't always so great (and I LOVE to drive LONG trips, but air is now MUCH cheaper / faster.)

Do take note of the above comments about 'whining'... and consider the example you might be to your toddler That could come back to haunt you BIG TIME
Trust me, my husband and I are not gen x entitled or whiners.... My daughter is just now making phrases...as the daughter of a two Marines, I'm fully expect her first is going to be either "shake it off" or "suck it up", LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel