Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:41 AM

143 posts, read 809,052 times

Advertisements

We live near Portland now, but used to live in the Seattle area. Not knowing your interests, here is a general rundown of fun things we did with our kids.

Pike Place Market--go early when they are setting up and see it come to life. Get coffee and a croissant or something at Le Panier to watch.

Gasworks Park--Great spot for a picnic and kite flying. Kids also love to run and explore here.

Pacific Science Center

Space Needle--Don't go up if it is cloudy or foggy though...wait til it burns off.

Ride the monorail--Kids love this, lol!

If you like baseball at all, try to hit a Mariner's game. The stadium is great, and if you go for a night game it is really pretty as the sun sets and all the lights of the city come on. Great views from in the stadium too.

Take a ferry ride. I know a lot of tourists enjoy this. My dh used the ferry to commute, but tourists seem to like this.

Visit the aquarium. It is right on the waterfront, so easy to walk to.

Visit the Museum of Flight. A bit south of downtown, but worth the trip.

Visit the Ballard Locks and watch the ships as well, and if you are there when the salmon are going through the ladders.

Woodland Park Zoo--excellent.

I didn't care for it, but most young kids love the Ride The Ducks tour. It is cheezy, but for a 5 year old it would be great.

Venture out of the city a bit and head up to Whidbey Island. It is an easy day trip, and you could include a ferry ride on this. Definitely do a loop though, making sure to stop at Deception Pass bridge as well as parking a bit south of there and hitting the beach.

If you have any more questions, just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 07:31 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,929,001 times
We visited, parked the car and walked or took the trolley everywhere. Lots to see and do, great city. We stayed in a Holiday Inn Express near the space needle, so it was close to many attractions.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 AM

27 posts, read 164,644 times
Default Seattle

Took the family there a couple years ago. No problems driving...only got lost once. Lots to do and see, even drove out to Mt. Ranier - beautiful!! Kids favorite memory was feeding the gulls at Ivers. One of a handful of family vacations where EVERYONE had a good time every day...so much so, that everyone wants to go back again!

Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,230,282 times
I went the Seattle area this past summer. It seems like many others suggested things to do in the city. We also took mini-trips to Port Angeles (to go to Olympia National Park), to Victoria Island, and spent a few days on Whidbey Island. Just a few suggestions if you want to check out the surrounding area.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:02 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,354,539 times
There is a short ferry ride that goes from the waterfront to West Seattle - the West Seattle Water Taxi. It's probably a perfect length trip for a 5 year old. The ferry rides are longer and you might have a restless tyke on your hands.

You can also rent canoes from the UW boat house behind Husky Staduim and poke around the waterways of the Arboreteum. The cost is less than $10 an hour, I think.

Plan your visit between mid-July and Labor Day and you're less likely to run into rain. Summer doesn't really start here before July 10th or so.

If you have a car:

The Imagine Children's Museum in Everett is a great place for a 5 year old. The Seattle Children's Museum at Seattle Center pales in comparison.

The Snoqualmie Valley Railroad is worth a visit if your kid likes trains. They have a Thomas day in the summer with a full-sized locomotive that looks just like Thomas the Tank Engine. It's really popular, so I woudn't expect to ride the train unless you have tickets well in advance.

You can also rent boats at Green Lake, near the Woodland Park Zoo.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 PM

12 posts, read 122,585 times
I really think the $20+ for the space needle is just too much, especially considering there are so many good restaurants I rather eat at. Heres a pretty good start list by food dedicated forums.
Best of Seattle - Help - Pacific Northwest - CHOW

I took the ferry ride and enjoyed that. Best to do when a bit tired as it's pretty low key. Nice views though leaving and reentering the Seattle port.

I' haven't done all the things on the below list, I the ones I did do were worth it imho.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ashington.html

Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,429,127 times
I live outside of Seattle. There are lots of places to go and things to see here. The scenery is beautiful when it's not raining. Last summer, it did not get nice until August/September. This summer has been very nice. There have been several weeks in a row with lots of sunshine (June/July). But don't be deceived, this shall soon past. Then you prepare for nine months of rain, clouds, rain, and did I mention rain? Sorry, do not mean to be negative. I am going back to Florida next week. I need my consistent sunshine and warmth. But, yes, it is pretty here, especially in the spring. I have never seen so many plants and trees with so much color anywhere I have lived. The transportation system is amazing. I don't even have a car. Don't need one here. You can go just about anywhere on the bus. Lots and lots of people ride the buses, trains, etc. Nice place to visit.

Oh, yeah, ride The Duck! It's great fun.

http://www.ridetheducksofseattle.com/

Last edited by PG77; 08-06-2008 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: added comment and link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel