Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times

Advertisements

Okay, before any of you try to convince me differently, it can't be done.

I really want to move away from this Texas hotbox, but I can't stand interstates that are heavily traveled. I just mapped out a trip from central Texas to southwest Virginia avoiding all major highways. I also mapped out a trip from my place to the mountains in NM. Of course, NM is a lot closer, but I just absolutely adore southwest VA. I took a trip last year from Atlanta to southwest Virginia, but I wasn't driving. There is no way I'd make it on that crazy I-81 or whatever other major highways we traveled. It makes me way too nervous and it isn't ever going to happen.

Anyway, to move away, I need to be able to drive back to Texas by myself since my children and other family members live here. I'm moving alone and therefore, I'll be driving alone. Of course, I need to be able to drive myself to my new destination when I move as well as maybe several trip to and from before the move. I may decide to fly for the intial visits and getting everything in order....whatever.

Have any of you ever done anything as crazy as that? Yes, I know it will take longer, but I don't have a problem with that. Unless you feel as I do on an interstate with a constant death grip on the steering wheel, you have no idea how I feel so, please don't give me a lecture.

I do drive the interstate occasionally where I live and I can handle that, but it isn't for a great distance. The older I get, the less I do it. It's a phobia, I guess, but I realize that I'd be a menace on the highway should I try to travel over 1,000 miles in that crazy traffic with all those beastly and rude truck drivers. Can't and won't!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 12:31 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times
Oh it can be done, for example in my state (Nebraska) we have 1 major interstate (I-80) and it is very busy, especially with trucks. However U.S. 30, U.S. 34 and U.6. basically parallel the interstate through the state and are good alternative routes. Now to get back to Texas (depending on where in Texas) you could take a highway like U.S. 83 and have a real quiet ride.

If you are interested in southwest Virginia go for it. There are enough U.S. highways and state routes to find your way back to Texas. It may take longer, but if it is comfortable for you, then it is worth it. Besides, many times you see a lot more on the 2 lane highway than you would on the interstate. I have heard many people that prefer highways over the interstate.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Oh it can be done, for example in my state (Nebraska) we have 1 major interstate (I-80) and it is very busy, especially with trucks. However U.S. 30, U.S. 34 and U.6. basically parallel the interstate through the state and are good alternative routes. Now to get back to Texas (depending on where in Texas) you could take a highway like U.S. 83 and have a real quiet ride.

If you are interested in southwest Virginia go for it. There are enough U.S. highways and state routes to find your way back to Texas. It may take longer, but if it is comfortable for you, then it is worth it. Besides, many times you see a lot more on the 2 lane highway than you would on the interstate. I have heard many people that prefer highways over the interstate.
So true. Usually driving an interstate is quite boring in my opinion. Yes, I mapped it out and it really can be done. It looks kind of fun and challenging too, but not nervewracking like a highway full of tailgaters and trucks.

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:17 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
THIS "beastly and rude" truck driver enjoys taking U.S. and state highways when possible. Some of them are real time savers (like from Dayton, OH to Ft. Wayne, IN, for example) There are some very scenic, windy VERY hilly U.S. and state highways in VA, TN and other Eastern states. I'm sure you'll find an enjoyable alternate route back to TX. Good luck and let us know how it worked for you!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:28 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Interstates are the safest roads in America, the accident rate is the lowest among any other road. I have no idea why you would not feel safe.

On the other hand, state highways have the highest accident and death rate of any road. I try to avoid state highways all the time, nothing worst than having a 45+ speed limit on a 2 lane road, line crossers are common along with the problem of people stopping and turning all the time.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Interstates are the safest roads in America, the accident rate is the lowest among any other road. I have no idea why you would not feel safe.

On the other hand, state highways have the highest accident and death rate of any road. I try to avoid state highways all the time, nothing worst than having a 45+ speed limit on a 2 lane road, line crossers are common along with the problem of people stopping and turning all the time.
That's your opinion and possible a statistic and as I said, I don't like the interstates and there is no changing that; I'm uncomfortable on them. I don't like the speed, the crowding, the tailgaters, and the rude and beastly trucks. It has nothing to do with being safe; it's just plain uncomfortable and stressful to me.

I'm not worried about an accident or dying. I don't like the things I mentioned above. Of course, even on the "backroads", there are the aggressive and annoying drivers, but I would say it's less prevalent than on the interstates and what's important in this case is that I like it better.

It's true; I'm not used to it and that's probably the problem, but it will be a cold day in hell before I decide to frequent myself of them. It just isn't going to happen.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:35 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
My suggestion would be to hire movers, send car with them and fly out.

Your back highways can be much more taxing when you consider two lanes rather than four, road construction and all the other obstacles.

The Interstates are something I feel much safer on than the back roads/highways.

You're going to find rude drivers in any vehicle; semi trucks to four wheelers to them loverly RVs.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
THIS "beastly and rude" truck driver enjoys taking U.S. and state highways when possible. Some of them are real time savers (like from Dayton, OH to Ft. Wayne, IN, for example) There are some very scenic, windy VERY hilly U.S. and state highways in VA, TN and other Eastern states. I'm sure you'll find an enjoyable alternate route back to TX. Good luck and let us know how it worked for you!
My apologies; I didn't mean the drivers but the trucks. I just don't like those big old rigs but I know without them, we'd be in serious trouble. I really appreciate the work you do even though I don't want to be near you on an interstate or a state hightway.

I haven't moved yet to where I'm hoping to and when and if I do, I know I'll be able to get there from Texas and back again to Texas without the hassle of the interstates. When they're not crowded, they're great but no one can plan when to avoid the crowds for such a long distance.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
My apologies; I didn't mean the drivers but the trucks. I just don't like those big old rigs but I know without them, we'd be in serious trouble. I really appreciate the work you do even though I don't want to be near you on an interstate or a state hightway.

I haven't moved yet to where I'm hoping to and when and if I do, I know I'll be able to get there from Texas and back again to Texas without the hassle of the interstates. When they're not crowded, they're great but no one can plan when to avoid the crowds for such a long distance.

For what it's worth, with my years of driving cross country, in both an 18 wheeler and a car, I've found your congestion if in the city limits and road construction zones.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
My suggestion would be to hire movers, send car with them and fly out.

Your back highways can be much more taxing when you consider two lanes rather than four, road construction and all the other obstacles.

The Interstates are something I feel much safer on than the back roads/highways.

You're going to find rude drivers in any vehicle; semi trucks to four wheelers to them loverly RVs.
That's what I'll more than likely do if and when I move. I would stay planted if my children and family didn't live in Texas but once gone, I have to be able to get back to Texas for visits. Well, I guess I wouldn't have too. I can let them all come to me. I guess I could fly back and forth too, but driving is so much more enjoyable and there's so much beauty to see on the "backroads."

Well, whatever I do, I'm sure it will all turn out okay in the long run.

Hey, a train. That would be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel