Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:08 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times

Advertisements

I'm in Phoenix, and it's been in the 100's for the past 2 or 3 weeks here. Last week, it brushed 114 degrees in some parts! Keep that in mind if you decide to come out this way. There's beautiful places to hike (Grand Canyon definitely being one of them), but it's hot. Granted, your profile says you're from New York -- the heat here is a dry heat. 105 in Arizona is NOTHING like 105 in New York. It feels more like what 85-90 in New York would feel like. So, basically, don't let the triple digits scare you away. Your wife's pregnancy is definitely something to keep in mind, though... Walking around this time of year requires a large consumption of water (I carry a camelback with me with 2L of cold water in it, wherever I go -- even in town).

Since you're wanting to go someplace mid-Summer, I would agree with other posters: Go to Colorado, or the Pacific Northwest. Both are beautiful areas, that you can really enjoy in the Summertime (non-rainy season in the PNW). Save the Grand Canyon for the Fall/Winter/Spring (though, believe it or not, it does snow in the winters at the Grand Canyon!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:56 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Sorry, Cab, but I'm also in NYC and I have to tell you that Phoenix in May was unbearably hot - dry heat, wet heat - it's still heat! No way would I head that far south at this time of year, especially if one is pregnant and not used to the heat.

San Francisco is wonderful. I cannot wait for a return visit. I spent a whole week there and it wasn't enough.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:41 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
I'd recommend California. If you fly into San Francisco you will have a lot of opportunities to get the most bang for your vacation. Your choice would be to spend your time driving or hiking. Since your wife is prego, she'd might want to take it light. If you'd have to drive, your best bet is the scenic California country side. I don't know how much money you have budgeted but you could do San Fran (Alcatraz + lots to do), Armstrong Redwoods (2hr. Drive) & a light hike, wine country and Yosemite is nearby too. IMHO, the desert is not a good place for a first experience this time of year. It's just too hot if you're not used to it.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Two things:

1) If you are flying Southwest, going to Yellowstone is a flight into Salt Lake City and a LONG drive to the park - a day drive.

2) If your wife is pregnant, heading into a high altitude may not be the greatest idea.

I would recommend the Utah national parks (flying into either Las Vegas or Salt Lake City) or maybe Seattle or Portland.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:34 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
No need to give up Vegas if you also want to do a national park or two. Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is located only 15 or so miles out of town (about 30 minutes from the Strip). Here's a short video:

Red Rock Canyon Visitor Center Las Vegas X - YouTube

If you'd rather cool off in the summer rather than walk or drive along the desert floor, you can drive up to Mt. Charleston, 7700' above sea level, and about 30 degrees cooler than Las Vegas itself. As with Red Rock Canyon, Mt. Charleston also is less than an hour outside of the city.

A Day at Mt. Charleston - YouTube

And if you want to make a day trip to see even more beautiful scenery, you can take a 2 hour drive to Southern Utah and Bryce National Park.

Bryce Canyon National Park - YouTube

Old 06-10-2012, 05:04 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flpyrner View Post

2.) Fly in San Fran: Check out city, Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon

I think this is a great option to fly into San Francisco. Not only can you visit Yosemite and Sequoia Parks area, you can also check out the Redwoods in Muir Woods (Muir Woods National Monument - Muir Woods National Monument).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel