U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM

2,812 posts, read 5,213,694 times

Advertisements

This may be a bit of an odd question. My wife is a Chinese citizen, but is a permanent resident here in the US with a green card. We travel across the border to Vancouver, BC fairly often, she only needs to show her green card to get across the border. However does anybody know how it would work in her situation to actually use the airport up there?
She wants to fly to China to visit family in a few months and is finding that there are cheaper and better flight options from Vancouver than there are from Seattle, but I'm wondering if there would be issues upon return home, either flying to Vancouver or trying to get through customs in Vancouver since she would only have a Chinese passport and US green card? Or would the requirements to fly to Vancouver from overseas be the same as it is to cross the border on land from the US to Canada, being that she just needs to show her US green card?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,729,425 times
I think she'd be okay if she has her passport AND green card. Always better to play it safe by taking all the documentation you can, even if you think you won't need it.

Not quite the same situation, but I was returning to the US via Toronto once and as you have to go thro immigration in Canada, I vaguely remember showing the guy both items.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,573,912 times
If she travels to Vancouver frequently, then you already know there's no problem going back and forth between Canada and the U.S. Travel to China from Vancouver will be just like normal international travel--you need your passport, and she needs her green card. Coming back across the border to the U.S. should be just like returning from one of your shopping trips.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 PM

18,087 posts, read 16,751,291 times
I suggest contacting the Canadian consulate and getting an answer.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:49 PM

3,316 posts, read 8,735,292 times
Passport and green card and she will be good to go.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:23 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,160,281 times
Just bring both. She will need the passport to get to china anyway, I think. But if you an cross the road border with just the green card then airport should be the same. But there is zero reason not to bring both documents.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,213,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Just bring both. She will need the passport to get to china anyway, I think. But if you an cross the road border with just the green card then airport should be the same. But there is zero reason not to bring both documents.
Very true- she was going to bring both documents as she knows she'd need both, but just had concerns about flying from a 3rd country like China into Canada without any actual Canadian documentation or a Canada tourist Visa, fearing what would happen in customs when arriving in Vancouver. But I guess she's overthinking it, it makes sense that if she can cross the border from here to Canada with just the green card, then there is no reason to think she can't enter there from China as well as long as she still has that green card (and of course the China passport for other reasons).

Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 PM

9,267 posts, read 19,333,005 times
something to read : aircanada.com - Easier transit via Canada for travel to the U.S.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,160,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Very true- she was going to bring both documents as she knows she'd need both, but just had concerns about flying from a 3rd country like China into Canada without any actual Canadian documentation or a Canada tourist Visa, fearing what would happen in customs when arriving in Vancouver. But I guess she's overthinking it, it makes sense that if she can cross the border from here to Canada with just the green card, then there is no reason to think she can't enter there from China as well as long as she still has that green card (and of course the China passport for other reasons).
She is not Canadian or a Canadian resident so she certainly does not need anything for Canada unless she would need a visa to transit from China to go to Canada.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 AM

9,020 posts, read 12,831,981 times
She enters Canada every time you cross the border. If she's entering from China, the US, England, or anywhere else, she's still entering in the eyes of Canadian Immigration. It's all the same, regardless of point of origin. Passport and Green Card, and she's good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel