Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Family car trips, most years to the same place for summer vacation, but a couple of other. By the time I finished high school (1956), I had been in 13 states and Ontario, which in those days, was pretty well-traveled for a kid. It took me six more years to get to all 48 states on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
We moved a lot until I was in 1st grade, then we did driving vacations, 1-2 times a year. Having a family of 5 is expensive to travel, so I totally understand the driving trips. Growing up in the midwest, we visited Minnesota, South Dakota, Illinois, Ohio, Niagara Falls, and lots of more rural resort type places in northern WI. Ohio was the most frequent destination to see relatives, probably averaging almost 1x per year. My parents also found places for day trips, which we frequently did on Sundays. We never traveled internationally or flew a plane anywhere together, probably due to financial restrictions.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,293 times
I have travelled all over the world, mostly as a child and young adult. Now at 57, I've got an itch to take off again, maybe (a late) mid-life crisis. No kids at home, but hubby works, so we can't just take off, even though I would love to spend 6 mos or a year somewhere different. The Phillipines, Belize, Argentina and France come to mind. But alas. I'm afraid I'll be dead or not able to travel once my husband retires in 10 years.

I might add that our travels were mainly due to my Dad looking for work, and secondly because he was somewhat of a nomad. We were not rich in money by any means so going out to dinner or to amusement parks, etc. were very rare treats. We were very rich in love and knowledge though.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:50 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I was super, super fortunate. From about the age of 6 (old enough to 'enjoy it' in my mother's opinion) we took an overseas trip once or twice a year, plus a couple of trips within country (I grew up in Australia). Once I hit my late teens, I started traveling overseas by myself. My mother never spent money on shiny new cars, the latest technology, or designer clothes and handbags- but saved up for my education and for travel (which is a kind of education).

I'm glad my mother instilled the 'travel bug' in me while I was young. I just hope that if/when I have children, I can afford them the same opportunities.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:34 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
Well I think it depends what generation you are. I grew up in the 50's and 60's, so there was no air travel routinely. When my mom and grandmother went for their "grand tour" of Europe, they took a ship. As a family, we drove around our province, mostly visiting family and friends, hardly ever even staying in a motel. My mother drove us out to the east coast when I was 13 and we did stay in motels, that was a fantastic treat.

Took my first plane flight out to the Rockies when I was 16. I threw up (I had terrible motion sickness back then.)

So not much. On the other hand, we took our son, growing up in the 80's and 90's, to Amsterdam, Scotland and England. His grandmother took him to Ireland. We flew to California in the 90's and toured by car after visiting relatives. We took him to Florida multiple times, and to the Bahamas.

So times have changed for kids, for sure.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Used to be lots.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I never traveled by air until I was 24, but I was in a plane when I was 7, in 1946 -- my uncle had one. I traveled by train a couple of times during WWII when gas was rationed, I was 5 or 6, but I still remember it. One trip was 300 miles.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I get my love for travel honestly. I used to think that my maternal grandfather lived in a tent. It used to facinate me that he had a tent in every state......sadly...true story.

Money was tight so my parents joined a camping group and the group would go someplace different every year. I've actually camped in every state in the lower 48. I am still in touch with a majority of the other "kids" that were in the same group.

As an adult I added Alaska and Hawaii quite quickly because neither my grandparents or parents ever made it and I didn't want to miss out. It's my goal to return to all 50 states. I'm about 1/2 way there.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:40 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,636 times
I lost my parents when I was quite young. Before they died we always travelled to Spain. After they died, I went on any and every school trip I could - to France, Austria, cruise around the Mediterranean, Italy and Yugoslavia. Also visited family and friends in the US and Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel