Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:44 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

DW had severe problems for years with what could have been an identical post to yours. She was close to not being able to function because of the aprehension she faced for days leading up to the flight. May not be an option for you but, flying first class has (almost) completely solved her anxiety. I'm convinced her issue had much less to do with flying then it had to do with claustropobia. And hey, free drinks and flight attendants are actually nice to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
DW had severe problems for years with what could have been an identical post to yours. She was close to not being able to function because of the aprehension she faced for days leading up to the flight. May not be an option for you but, flying first class has (almost) completely solved her anxiety. I'm convinced her issue had much less to do with flying then it had to do with claustropobia. And hey, free drinks and flight attendants are actually nice to us.
I've come to that conclusion about my own anxiety.....

What's "helped" me , almost as much as the prescription drugs I used to take, is that I now fly with my 2yo. I'm way too busy keep her entertained to think about anything else...

Old 07-20-2012, 10:45 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It is not advisable to drink while taking Xanax, but 0.25-0.5 mg tab with a glass of wine is not going to kill you.
Alcohol will increase the effect of most medications used for depression or anxiety. Two standard drinks may make you feel drunker, drowsier and slower than usual. Any more than two standard drinks may make you feel quite drunk. Alcohol also enhances Xanax's ability to cause confusion, greatly impair judgment and produce unusual behavior.
This is NOT a good idea when traveling ... You need to have your wits about you when you are traveling to unfamiliar places ...

Old 07-21-2012, 02:31 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Omg I'm talking a .5 xanax and a glass. Trust me, I've taken 15mg of valium with a glass of pinot grigio to fly to Las Vegas and it did nothing for me. I doubt this will kill me..
How can you be thinking of taking your first flight when you had one already??

Old 07-23-2012, 04:06 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I don't like flying either but I've done it a good amount. It's a necessary evil to be able to go places. I don't think it's the fear of crashing as much as feeling trapped. The whole airport experience is unpleasant. This past time I downloaded some TV shows I wanted to catch up on onto my Kindle Fire and that helped keep me distracted. Good luck and way to go facing your fears! I know people that refuse to fly, period. Really limits their travel possibilities!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:27 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
himain,

Good for you for facing your fears! Keep yourself busy like strawberrykiki suggested and the flight will be over in no time.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM

385 posts, read 859,238 times
I had a fear of flying, I was like himain, I'd take the drug and sleep most of the trip but on my first trip to China, I forgot the Med.s on the kitchen table, to late to get more so I did it with out help, by the way, the flight was 2 hrs, then 4 hrs, and the last leg was 14 hrs, by the time I was home again, I no longer feared flying, good thing, I made that trip 4 times a year and stayed a month, along with all the other traveling I've done now it's a good thing I love flying now ;-)
oh yeah, on that first trip, I did buy a book at the airport and along with the news paper I kept myself busy, it really helps

Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
This is NOT a good idea when traveling ... You need to have your wits about you when you are traveling to unfamiliar places ...
Yes, the tricky part about medicating yourself is if/when things go awry.

When I take a long haul flight, I do like to try to sleep a little, and sometimes need help from Benadryl.
I never take it until we are *well into* the flight because you never know if your flight is going to be delayed, have to make an unscheduled landing--or even canceled. Once, toward the end of my flight, my plane to Amsterdam had to land in Shannon, Ireland when one of the passengers had difficulties with his diabetes. I was traveling alone, but had taken half a Benadryl earlier in the flight and never had to get off the plane. I barely made my connection to Toulouse but was refreshed and un-druggy.
My sister-in-law and her husband had a different, worse situation when they took some strong narcotic sleeping pills and then had to de-plane because of mechanical failure. They could barely function.

Of course, when you are conquering fear of flying, the timing of meds is even trickier, but it sounds like Himain is not inexperienced with handling medication. Just to help keep the odds in your favor, it would be a good idea to check the history of your particular flight (how often is it late etc.)

I wish you the best!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Go, Himain! I also have a terrible fear of flying/heights and in the last 10 years, we have taken at least 3 trips by plane - each year - including once across the pond (that's 30 flights - or more considering some were not direct). It wasn't even a good flight - very bumpy, too hot in the cabin, and I was sick the day we arrived (don't think it was jet lag). But it was worth it - every panic-stricken second was worth the trip.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
To stop being a wuss and start flying. I have a fear of flying but nothing that some Xanax and Pinot Grigio can't help I booked my trip to Boston today to see my friend I haven't seen in 5 years. I'm very excited and can't wait but am still nervous, lol. I really want to start traveling and seeing other parts of the country even if it is by myself. I have a room reserved in October for Chicago as well but haven't pulled the trigger on a flight.
sounds like you are on your way to some fun..There are a lot of us that went through the "I am afraid to fly" faze, but most of us got over it in time. I still am always glad when the tires touch down, but have flown all over the world and know it is as safe as any mode of travel and safer than trying to get from coast to coast on a skate board... As for having someone to grab onto and bury your head it their arm, you culd always try that with the person sitting next to you, just don't be surprised if you get a few strange looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel