Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 05:27 PM

165 posts, read 897,091 times

Advertisements

Any tips would be appreciated, especially where to stay and what to see in W Norway!

I'll be going to Norway (fly into Bergen, out of Oslo) x 5 days, Stockholm x 2 days, Copenhagen x 2 days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 01:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Just be aware that Norway is VERY expensive.
I was shocked at the prices.

Do you have a car or are you taking the train/bus and doing the best of Norway trip?
If you don't have a car, that's your best bet.

Be sure to walk the old town in Stockholm. There's also a lovely art museum there.

Both cities Oslo and Stockholm have open air museums that are well worth seeing. The Viking Museum in Oslo was very nice. I was quite surprised.
Museums aren't too expensive, but if in Norway, I'd self-cater.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Agree with Chielgirl re: sticker shock in restaurants and her other observations. Bill Bryson in Neither Here Nor There, a great and funny book about European travel, referred to Scandinavian food prices as "heartbreaking." It's been 14 years since I was there but I took the train from Helsinki across the top of Finland/Sweden (though Rovaniemi and Boden )to Narvik, which is on the coast and is a must if you're a history buff. The WWII battle there went on for so long that weapons were invented and became obsolete while the battle still raged. The streets are almost perpendicular, they're so steep. It's the point from which you take a boat the the Lofoten Islands if you're so inclined or you could continue north to Tromso. Going south from Narvik you take a train/bus combo through the fjords to Bergen , so you could do that trip in reverse. Don't skip the tram ride in Bergen. The train between Bergen and Oslo is particularly scenic. I made my lodging arrangements though the tourist office at the Oslo train station, perhaps they have a similar service in Bergen? In the cities, if you see a jolly group of drunken businessmen, follow them. They will end up at a kabob place for dinner which is one of the few affordable options for food. Avoid the pizza, it has no virtue except (relative) cheapness. Have a wonderful trip!! And give us a report when you get back.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:50 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
How about a museum about booze:
Spritmuseum & The Absolut Art Collection: Stockholm's official visitors guide

What are your interests, except fjords?
If you're only in Stockholm for two days you should stick to Old Town and take your time there.
And perhaps a visit to the National Museum which is a ten minute walk away.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
This was years ago. We took a train up into central Norway from Oslo, and then had a friend drive us. We drove through Lillehammer (pre-Olympics), and out to Alesund (beautiful little city), and did the Geiranger fjord. Have a look at the train routes and see if you could rent a car partway up north--it might save you a lot of driving. The scenery is spectacular everywhere.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,608 times
Absolutly must see is Lofoten. No way arround that place. If you want to have the ultimate Fjord expernice. It is easy to go there by train or flying to Bodø. From there it is very nice experince to take the ferry to Moskenes. From there on it is extremly recommended to take a rental car - or even a camper as we did just some weeks ago. Absolutly great concept those cars. Not so big, easy to drive and for norwegian prices totaly ok. You should go up until the Versteralen or if you have even more time, drive up to Senja, absolulty great island. We will do it again in maybe one or two years - hopfully this time in the summer. We rented the camper from [url=http://www.arcticcampers.no]ARCTIC CAMPERS - Mini camper rental in Northern Norway[/url]

Old 12-15-2014, 10:58 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
That's one place I would recommend a cruise, and I generally don't like cruises. But you need to see the fjords from the ocean. They have some cruises I think that leave from Copenhagen. Also, as everyone said - extremely expensive.
I was there last year, my cruise left from Amsterdam. Not sure when you are going - be aware the winter, and early spring and late fall, besides obviously very cold weather, has very short days.
Did I say it was expensive? Really it needs to be said twice.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:55 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cignalife View Post
Any tips would be appreciated, especially where to stay and what to see in W Norway!

I'll be going to Norway (fly into Bergen, out of Oslo) x 5 days, Stockholm x 2 days, Copenhagen x 2 days
Sounds like a great trip! I am jealous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel