Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I'm a planner so they've always been cheapest for me. I use the web specials on their site. Granted, I'm in Dallas so we are somewhat limited on where we can go on SW. The most recent trip was roundtrip to St. Louis back earlier this month. Did several short-haul trips in Texas over the last few years, and a trip to Santa Fe a couple of years ago...cheap, cheap, cheap. If you travel on the spur of the moment, then I'm sure they can be beat though.

I agree with most of your post EXCEPT the last minute deals. The last few times I needed to book a flight for the next day (read that as for a funeral) Southwest was a lot cheaper.

With two weeks advance purchase, the fares were fairly close.

YMMV as you are in a different market where the fares may be less competitive than in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I agree with most of your post EXCEPT the last minute deals. The last few times I needed to book a flight for the next day (read that as for a funeral) Southwest was a lot cheaper.

With two weeks advance purchase, the fares were fairly close.

YMMV as you are in a different market where the fares may be less competitive than in Chicago.
Well that's good to hear. I really am a fan of SWA.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Earlier today I bought a ticket for an upcoming trip (I leave a week from today), r/t MCO to PVD. I paid $294 on US Airways. For the heck of it I plugged in the same travel dates and flight times as close as were offered on SW and got $384. I'd have to add in $20 for "Early Bird Check-In" because I can't reserve a seat on SW, so now it's $404. On top of that, I got an upgrade to a first class seat on US within a few minutes of buying my ticket, but I'm not going to compare the cost of a first class seat to SW as the upgrade didn't cost me anything. I'd actually get more baggage allowance, but I don't need it as I travel very light.

So US Airways is $110 less expensive. Tell me again why I'd fly SW?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Earlier today I bought a ticket for an upcoming trip (I leave a week from today), r/t MCO to PVD. I paid $294 on US Airways. For the heck of it I plugged in the same travel dates and flight times as close as were offered on SW and got $384. I'd have to add in $20 for "Early Bird Check-In" because I can't reserve a seat on SW, so now it's $404. On top of that, I got an upgrade to a first class seat on US within a few minutes of buying my ticket, but I'm not going to compare the cost of a first class seat to SW as the upgrade didn't cost me anything. I'd actually get more baggage allowance, but I don't need it as I travel very light.

So US Airways is $110 less expensive. Tell me again why I'd fly SW?
You shouldn't. You got a better deal on US.

I use the Wanna Get Away web fares (think it's about 21 days in advance). I only travel for pleasure, so I have a lot of planning time.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Wanted to add, I never do early bird check-in, I see no reason to. I just check-in online 24 hrs prior to my flight and get my place. I've never had a problem finding a seat.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,973 times
Living in Chicago and NYC, its not that big a difference. I primarily fly legacy first, but love having discounters, like southwest or jet blue as an option. Im not a big fan though of some of the SWA flight attendant antics. Some like them, i think they are cheesy.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:

I use the Wanna Get Away web fares (think it's about 21 days in advance). I only travel for pleasure, so I have a lot of planning time.
That's what those were!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Wanted to add, I never do early bird check-in, I see no reason to. I just check-in online 24 hrs prior to my flight and get my place. I've never had a problem finding a seat.
I don't want to sit in the center seat in the last row. I want an aisle seat in the first few rows. I can guarantee that without additional charge on the legacies, not on SW.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
...So US Airways is $110 less expensive. Tell me again why I'd fly SW?
Quote:
Sound advice !!!

+ More seats for US on SWA

PERFECT match.... and annerk needed our APPROVAL

LUV our free market society (as I remember the 6 months of pain getting a refund from US Air for a elder friend that was in the hospital and COULDN't take their flight last yr) 5 min @ SWA would have handled that minor transaction.

Enjoy your flight (I hope you make it, and enjoy the '1st class and free luggage upgrades'

I deal with these folks nearly everyday...

Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
That's what those were!
I thought you were flying sooner than that? Anyhow, then it's a different market. I'm in Dallas and fly out of Love Field. Wanna Get Away have always been cheap for me. Obviously that's not the case for your flight. No biggie. I always shop around, sounds like you do too. Take the cheaper flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel