Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

Advertisements

Lesson learned, and some nice pre-flight entertainment for his fellow travelers.

Busted Kid Apologizes To Plane For Cutting In Line - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Oh, the flaming arrows are about to fly towards SWA. (Watch out for Chick-fil-A boycotters )

Pretty admirable what SWA comes up with for dealing with THOUSANDs of goofy folks everyday.

I feel it comes down to the people. Most SWA employees are very happy and mature about their job / employer... It's the customers that you have to watch out for. I could see an airline ticket agent / flight attendant going 'postal' with just cause.

Running a company in the 'entitlement' attitude of USA populous is more of a Challenge than many realize. (including our current President )

Old 08-03-2012, 12:30 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
She doesn't look like his mom.
And she snickers as he reads the prepared speech, she is is just as immature as the passenger is..

Not that maturity has any thing to do with it.
IF all the seats are assigned where was the person who was assigned that seat?

It's a little over board after it's just a flying bus.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Running a company in the 'entitlement' attitude of USA populace is more of a Challenge than many realize. (including our current President )
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
And she snickers as he reads the prepared speech, she is is just as immature as the passenger is..

Zones, (A, B, and C, and accompanying numbers) not seats, are assigned. He did not wait for his zone.
And yes, it's just a flying bus and that is one more reason why cheating, skipping, whatever you want to call it, is not fair. Following the rules is part of cooperative group living.

Yes, the flight attendant was not the kid's mom () and I saw a bit of a smile during the "sound effects" but no snickering at all. I thought she handled herself perfectly during this off-the-cuff event.
If you'll read the video's description:

"As a high school lacrosse team was waiting to board a flight to a Summer tournament, one athlete took it upon himself to sneak into the pre-board group for "young passengers". He thought he had beaten the system, but his coaches saw the whole thing go down. One hastily written speech and a nice bit of cooperation from the crew of Southwest Airlines Flight 592 later, this video was born."

Kudos to the coaches--and Southwest.
As Stealthrabbit says, it's the customers you have to watch out for: So many self-entitled adults set very poor examples, every single day.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
And it was a TEAM, I'm sure the rest of the passengers could understand that he wanted to sit and board with the team.

She does snicker she puts her hand up to cover her laughter.

It's a flying bus all passengers had/have a seat, it's not a race to get a seat because if you don't you'll will have to stand.

All they are doing is limiting the flying elbows as people pot their stuff in the over head compartments and trying to get by someone in the isle. One person is not going to hurt anything or anyone.

Manners taught by a air line attendant. To funny..

Not worth all the commotion if ya ask me.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:

My experience flying with Southwest is limited. The times I've flown with the airline I've observed/experienced a staff which seems not well suited for the job (flight attendants). And not people who seem to be enjoying their work.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Lesson learned, and some nice pre-flight entertainment for his fellow travelers.

Busted Kid Apologizes To Plane For Cutting In Line - YouTube
I love it!

Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Quote:
And it was a TEAM, I'm sure the rest of the passengers could understand that he wanted to sit and board with the team.
I don't think the team was boarding in the pre-board, young person line

Also, as part of a team it's not that difficult to sit with your teamates ... if someone gets on the plane before you just have them hold the seat

Next, it was the coaches who came up with the idea and drafted the note - so it wasn't guided by the FAs, but by the coaches who wanted to use it as a teaching moment to the individual and the rest of the team

Old 08-04-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
And sitting with your team *can* eventually be accomplished, but when you fly with a certain airline, you abide by the rules--the kid's coaches, to their credit, knew that and acted upon it, and that's when they asked the flight attendants to do what they did.

Quote:
She does snicker she puts her hand up to cover her laughter.
I heard no laughter from the FA. And the kid saw nothing, he was reading.

There was laughter at the end of the announcement, and the boy had his walk of shame to his seat, but I don't think any part of this experience was cruel or inhumane.

Quote:
It's a flying bus all passengers had/have a seat, it's not a race to get a seat because if you don't you'll will have to stand.

All they are doing is limiting the flying elbows as people pot their stuff in the over head compartments and trying to get by someone in the isle. One person is not going to hurt anything or anyone.

Manners taught by a air line attendant. To funny..

Not worth all the commotion if ya ask me.
Reducing the flying elbows is one of the best things about Southwest's seating process.
Apparently the kid thought it was a race.
Now he knows better. I'm sure he was able to sit with his team, but if not, he won't be so reckless next time.
All he was asked to do was to wait his turn, which is what courteous passengers do.

Inconsiderate people are the ones who think "I can get away with this, I'm just one person, I don't have to play by the rules."
Air travelers with that Me First attitude make life miserable for everyone else, passengers and FAs alike.

Enabling them perpetuates their behavior. That's what the commotion is all about.

This is the third time I am going to try to explain something (I see Finger Laker tried as well):

The coaches were responsible for asking the FA to assist the kid in making his announcement.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 AM

423 posts, read 629,047 times
Hmm, not sure a flight attendant has any qualifications to teach manners and courtesy to anyone.

Well, maybe in some of the places where a flight attendant is a desirable job and those that get it act like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel