Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:59 AM

85 posts, read 215,623 times

Advertisements

I've never traveled before in my life. I'm going from EWR to LAS (Vegas) on a direct United flight (On a 737-800).

However, since I am a complete plane newbie, I have a question:
I checked the status of my flight on the united site. It states:
Inflight Entertainment:
Not offered on this flight.

I understand that means no TV on the flight (which sucks), but does it also mean that there is no in-flight movie?

The united site says that feature films are only offered on all mainscreen equipped ...737-800... aircraft.

How do I determine if my plane is mainscreen equipped?

Sorry for the rather simple question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 02:27 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,042,510 times
That is a 4-5 hour flight - too short to have a movie shown. Bring a good novel(one that you have started - so that you have become involved in the story - and long enough to last the length of the flight) settle in with a couple glasses of wine(or if you don't drink - whatever helps you relax) and enjoy the flight. You will be in Las Vegas before you know it.

One other thing - you mention that it is a direct flight. In airline terminology direct does not mean non-stop. If it is a true direct flight - then you will be stopping somewhere betwen EWR and LAS - which will break some of the monotany. Or perhaps you are using the word direct when you mean non-stop. Best to check - the airlines fool lot's of people who aren't aware of the difference.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,102,354 times
Have you ever taken a ride on Greyhound? Flying coach on a plane is similar only you have to wear a seat belt and if there isn't turbulence, someone will come by to offer you a soda and packet of crackers.

You will find no in cabin amenities other than a toilet on a domestic flight these days. Jet Blue aside.

Be prepared that you will not be served a meal on that flight, you are welcome to bring food along as long as it meets TSA requirements. (No puddling, jello, mayonnaise or mustard packets but fine if they are already on your sandwich, etc.)

If you must have a movie, bring your iPad or laptop and watch your own. You can use it once you've reached cruising altitude, you'll have about four hours of that. Your flight time should be about five hours in the air.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That is a 4-5 hour flight - too short to have a movie shown. Bring a good novel(one that you have started - so that you have become involved in the story - and long enough to last the length of the flight) settle in with a couple glasses of wine(or if you don't drink - whatever helps you relax) and enjoy the flight. You will be in Las Vegas before you know it.

One other thing - you mention that it is a direct flight. In airline terminology direct does not mean non-stop. If it is a true direct flight - then you will be stopping somewhere betwen EWR and LAS - which will break some of the monotany. Or perhaps you are using the word direct when you mean non-stop. Best to check - the airlines fool lot's of people who aren't aware of the difference.
It's non-stop EWR to LAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Have you ever taken a ride on Greyhound? Flying coach on a plane is similar only you have to wear a seat belt and if there isn't turbulence, someone will come by to offer you a soda and packet of crackers.

You will find no in cabin amenities other than a toilet on a domestic flight these days. Jet Blue aside.

Be prepared that you will not be served a meal on that flight, you are welcome to bring food along as long as it meets TSA requirements. (No puddling, jello, mayonnaise or mustard packets but fine if they are already on your sandwich, etc.)

If you must have a movie, bring your iPad or laptop and watch your own. You can use it once you've reached cruising altitude, you'll have about four hours of that. Your flight time should be about five hours in the air.
never been on a greyhound. Probably going to eat when I arrive in Vegas. United says 5 1/2 hours flight time

Old 08-04-2012, 11:19 AM

43,742 posts, read 44,505,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM402 View Post
I've never traveled before in my life. I'm going from EWR to LAS (Vegas) on a direct United flight (On a 737-800).

However, since I am a complete plane newbie, I have a question:
I checked the status of my flight on the united site. It states:
Inflight Entertainment:
Not offered on this flight.

I understand that means no TV on the flight (which sucks), but does it also mean that there is no in-flight movie?

The united site says that feature films are only offered on all mainscreen equipped ...737-800... aircraft.

How do I determine if my plane is mainscreen equipped?

Sorry for the rather simple question.
You can determine on the United Airlines website what kind of aircraft will be used on your flight. Some airlines although they don't show movies may have music. So it is always good to have a small headset with you if you own one.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,180,906 times
SLEEP. that is good use of your flight time (especially if you are headed to LV). I take 1/2 caplet of a Tylenol PM. = 6hrs sleep for me.

w/iPOD and ear buds... you're all set. (you can get them for $20 on CL)

Movie / DVD player ?... pretty tight qtrs and more JUNK to carry / lose.

I'm a radio person anyway, there are LOTS of very interesting and entertaining podcasts. I would have a hard time remembering the last movie / tv show I watched.

Books work too. Due to your ability to concentrate, I find short stories to be my preference while on planes.

The nice thing is the trip home will be FASTER (downwind). (and you might NEED some sleep...)

Old 08-04-2012, 11:36 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,375,157 times
If you are sensitive to noise, take your ipod/ipad with a noise reduction headset. It will make a difference. While I usually wear flip flops to go through security, my feet get cold so I take socks just in case. I have flown from Philly to Vegas and we had movies. However, since airlines are cutting back, take something to read. You might also take a small, easy to carry snack with you and maybe some gum if your ears pop.

Make sure that if you take meds that you have them with you and not packed in your checked luggage.

Have fun in Vegas!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:27 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,129,324 times
Relax. It's just a plane ride. I never plan on the movie. Mostly because I'm late deafened and few movies are captioned. The deaf don't count for airlines. Besides, you might hate the movie. So as above posters say, take a book, ipod, ipad, or sleep.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You can determine on the United Airlines website what kind of aircraft will be used on your flight. Some airlines although they don't show movies may have music. So it is always good to have a small headset with you if you own one.
Flying on a 737-800

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
SLEEP. that is good use of your flight time (especially if you are headed to LV). I take 1/2 caplet of a Tylenol PM. = 6hrs sleep for me.

w/iPOD and ear buds... you're all set. (you can get them for $20 on CL)

Movie / DVD player ?... pretty tight qtrs and more JUNK to carry / lose.

I'm a radio person anyway, there are LOTS of very interesting and entertaining podcasts. I would have a hard time remembering the last movie / tv show I watched.

Books work too. Due to your ability to concentrate, I find short stories to be my preference while on planes.

The nice thing is the trip home will be FASTER (downwind). (and you might NEED some sleep...)
Won't be able to sleep on the way there. I might sleep if I get anxious enough to take some Ativan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
If you are sensitive to noise, take your ipod/ipad with a noise reduction headset. It will make a difference. While I usually wear flip flops to go through security, my feet get cold so I take socks just in case. I have flown from Philly to Vegas and we had movies. However, since airlines are cutting back, take something to read. You might also take a small, easy to carry snack with you and maybe some gum if your ears pop.

Make sure that if you take meds that you have them with you and not packed in your checked luggage.

Have fun in Vegas!
Yeah, probably going to bring my ipod with me to help with noise. Too much pressure shouldn't build up in my ears, had them checked out in the past year. Going to bring all of my many meds with me in carry on.

I should have fun. Going to the grand canyon, hoover dam, seeing my aunt, and gambling.

Went to the bookstore today. Got like 5 books. That should last me the flight there.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 AM

9,777 posts, read 7,499,922 times
Since your flying United.....ask one of the flights attendants to have the captain turn on channel 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel