Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 AM

567 posts, read 1,012,070 times

Advertisements

I'm finally taking my first vacation with my new job and my friend and I decided to go to Jackson, WY to do some white-water rafting, fly-fishing, horseback riding, hiking, camping, etc. Should be a fun trip.

But I'm starting to psych myself out when it comes to getting on the airplane. I just start thinking about life in general and thinking about all the stuff I don't want to lose just for a vacation. I'm scared of heights and being suspended in air by two engines that could possibly blow just makes me really nervous. Plus you have terrorist and people that go completely insane these days doesn't help either. I'm actually stressing more about the vacation than looking forward to it.

Anyone that has been in my shoes, how did you get over your fear and anxiety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Then your going to love landing in Jackson.

You'll make a tight turn in the valley right next to the Tetons then descend to the airport.
Cross winds, can make for a bumpy ride.

Enjoy they haven't had a crash in a long long time.

Sometimes they send a guy out in a truck to run off the deer or elk off of the runway just before you land.

Think of it as part of the adventure.

Not sure where your coming from but the small regional jets that land in Jackson are a small target for a terrorist.
And they do a good job of screening at Jackson.
I was pulled out of line and tested for explosives, I tested positive.
Met some nervous but nice folks from tsa and homeland .
As it turns out the chalk we use for climbing can also be used in the making of C4.(an explosive)

Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
You're going to go white water rafting...and you're afraid of a commercial airplane?

I think a comparison of relative accident rates is in order.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
You're going to go white water rafting...and you're afraid of a commercial airplane?

I think a comparison of relative accident rates is in order.
Good point!

You are thinking completely unrationally given that you want to do a dangerous activity yet you are scared of the safest part of your trip.

Are you afraid to drive to the airport? Do you get afraid of losing everything just for a dinner at a resturant as few miles away?

Relax, I can understand how flying at 35,000 ft in a metal tube that can weigh over 100,000lbs can seem scary but it shouldn't. Air travel in the United States is ridiculously safe. When you are flying I am sure you will be thinking about what I'd etc.. But just remember its fine, the planes are safe, the pilots are trained well. There hasn't been a fatal major airline accident in the US in 11 years. There have been a few regional airline accidents but I still wouldn't be worried about flying a regional airline either. If you are really worried then make sure to fly a major airline. Relax and try not to think about it because there are many more things you do in your life that are more dangerous than flying in a commercial plane.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
There are some things you best deal with in life... Statistically flying is VERY safe (and US industry is highly regulated). It would be interesting to know the daily passenger count in WORLD air travel. When I am in places like Singapore, Hong Kong and Amsterdam and see the thousands of planes / day coming and going I am re-assured (these are not always to 'western' stds). A few flights in the Alaska / Canada bush also brought me comfort to know of the skill and quality of maint in the industry.

Have a great vacation, I frequented Jackson weekly via motorcycle / commercial trucking for many ys. Enjoy the experience and 'Leave-the-driving- (flying)' to the pros. I spend ~ 1000 hrs / yr in the hands of various pilots. I sleep like a baby so I am RESTED when I arrive!. For the lighter / smaller aircraft and winds into Jackson, you will experience bounce and weaving, but rest assured, the crew does this daily (many times) and have abort proceedures well understood.

I would have a serious talk with yourself and get this 'fear-of-demise' handled. I am well at peace, and you can be too (spiritually / emotionally / relationally... it takes about 5 minutes and a CLEAR mind). I volunteer for hospice to help families through death. It is part of life, and can be understood / reconciled, and actually very victorious.

We can all exit in the next breath. Enjoy THIS current breath, and certainly the amazing beautiful water sports / viewing / adventure. My BEST vacation in 40 yrs (circa 1982.. 2 month pre-kids) was an early morning float from Jackson Dam to Jackson in a borrowed 8 man raft. I'm telling you, this is the cahnce / experience of a lifetime.

Enjoy EVERY moment. life will get along. GET at peace with it. Do well for others, and your life will count.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I'm finally taking my first vacation with my new job and my friend and I decided to go to Jackson, WY to do some white-water rafting, fly-fishing, horseback riding, hiking, camping, etc. Should be a fun trip.

But I'm starting to psych myself out when it comes to getting on the airplane. I just start thinking about life in general and thinking about all the stuff I don't want to lose just for a vacation. I'm scared of heights and being suspended in air by two engines that could possibly blow just makes me really nervous. Plus you have terrorist and people that go completely insane these days doesn't help either. I'm actually stressing more about the vacation than looking forward to it.

Anyone that has been in my shoes, how did you get over your fear and anxiety?
You are going to have a great trip, sounds like so much fun...

I'm a nervous flyer to be sure - what has helped me isn't going to be much use to you, LOL. I've got a 2yo that I take wit me when I travel. Keeping her occupied and happy for several hours while on a plane leaves me no time for worrying!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
My folks took us on that same rafting trip when we were kids.
It was a fairly tame ride more of a site seeing trip.
Great views and you can get very close to some if the wild life

It lead to a 4 day trip down the Colorado river the next year.
that was exciting.

I blame them for giving my the adventurous travel bug.

Have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My BEST vacation in 40 yrs (circa 1982.. 2 month pre-kids) was an early morning float from Jackson Dam to Jackson in a borrowed 8 man raft. I'm telling you, this is the cahnce / experience of a lifetime.

Enjoy EVERY moment..

Last edited by snofarmer; 08-16-2012 at 11:09 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I just start thinking about life in general and thinking about all the stuff I don't want to lose just for a vacation.
How about flipping that around and thinking about all the things you'll lose out on if you don't face your fears?

That area is one of my favorite places to go. So unbelievably beautiful. Seriously, do not back out. You will have the time of your life.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:40 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Book a seat over the wing - it's supposedly the strongest and therefore most stable part of the plane. And get an aisle seat, that way you can't look out of the window. Make sure you have plenty of reading material with you or music or a DVD you catch watch on your laptop. Something to take your mind off things for the length of the trip.

These incidents of people losing it on board have been very publicised BUT they are extremely rare. A handful of these compared to the 100s of flights that take off and land safely every day! If you're still really worried, perhaps a trip to your doctor is in order? He/she might be able to prescribe or recommend something that will help you relax and stay calm.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
If heaven is really heaven it will look like Jackson Hole.

Go and have a great time. You're going to be in one of the most beautiful places in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel