Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,067,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm with the first two, especially adventure. but status? What does that have to do with travel?
Travel has become a commodity, and it can be interesting how different people use it to exude status in different ways.

Some people look at exclusive 8-star hotels as high-status, others consider pinpointing (and conquering) the newest, edgiest, most off-the-beaten-path destination as a form of high traveler status. Both sets of people are putting something on their "been there done that" list. No doubt there is overlap here and there.

I like hiking and swimming but I don't consider myself very adventurous anymore. I do want to walk part of the GR some day but that is more fun than exhilarating.

I care more about cleanliness than comfort, though I do like a good cup of coffee in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:13 PM

55 posts, read 133,980 times
What I mean by status is image. I mean people who want to spend a lot of money and go to expensive destinations to make them appear rich.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 PM

180 posts, read 480,163 times
Adventure! I'll choose comfort when my body is too broken.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:08 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,524,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopinchic View Post
What I mean by status is image. I mean people who want to spend a lot of money and go to expensive destinations to make them appear rich.
Ah ok. Didn't know how to respond, glad someone asked. If it's between comfort and adventure, for me it depends on the type of vacation that I want. My BF and I went to an all-inclusive in Cabo last June. That was pure lazy comfort. I also like adventure...hiking and canoing in Big Bend, trout fishing outside of Santa Fe... . Status? Don't care about that at all.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:02 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,654,552 times
Pleasure would be my primary reason. I just don't get the idea of "status" at all be in a domestic setting or travel. You travel for yourself not for others so who bloody cares if someone is impressed or not by your peregrinations.

Adventure yes , to me travel is about discovery, and a sense of escapism. Adventure IMO does not necessarily have to mean white water rafting or climbing glaciers either. Comfort is great but cleanliness is paramount as BWP mentions. Being now disabled my truly "adventurous" days are probably over for good so I have to be content with more "pedestrian" travelling but I still do feel that thrill which comes with visiting new places and meeting new people.

I was never a big fan of camping , I love the outdoors and wildlife but sadly I am one of those people who likes to bathe every day and finds it difficult to sleep at the best of times so a comfy bed is to me highly preferable to a rocky floor. I used to camp a lot and loved it from dawn til dusk. The nights were always hell though. Comfort does not mean five star either. A good bed and bath is all I need when it comes to comfort. Obviously "posher" hotels have their place but as we tend to spend little time indoors when travelling on the whole I prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

I travel for me. Not so that others can coo over my holiday destinations and think me somehow a guru of the stylish travelling world. Who cares what other people think especially when it comes to travelling ? It is about pleasure, enjoyment, learning new things, experiencing different cultures ,cuisines, environments and chilling out. Not about showing off and expecting others to sigh with jealousy and fall at my feet for some perceived notion of worth.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,524,091 times
"I travel for me. Not so that others can coo over my holiday destinations and think me somehow a guru of the stylish travelling world. Who cares what other people think especially when it comes to travelling ? It is about pleasure, enjoyment, learning new things, experiencing different cultures ,cuisines, environments and chilling out. Not about showing off and expecting others to sigh with jealousy and fall at my feet for some perceived notion of worth."

Excellent post!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,150,245 times
Adventure, but I admit I do have my limits. Nothing I can't used to, though. I think sometimes those times when you're put out of your comfort zones are the ones you remember.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,067,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think sometimes those times when you're put out of your comfort zones are the ones you remember.
True.
It might be a crazy taxi ride, or becoming utterly lost, or just simply being plopped into a situation you did not quite prepare for (coming down with the flu, it's after dark, you don't speak the language, and have not yet found your lodging for the night.)

Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,123,662 times
I'm in my 50's now, so choose my travel based on places I want to see, but do need to be able to maintain what is my personal level of comfort. The thought of couch surfing, eating certain foods, or sharing a bathroom makes me cringe. There are plenty of places I haven't yet explored that will allow me a four star hotel and the ability to eat foods that don't turn my stomach thinking about them. If I ever get to the bottom of that list, I'll start at the top again and revisit places I haven't been to in 40 years or more.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,564,871 times
Adventure and going off the beaten path. Somewhere with millions of tourists is less thrilling for me -- the US is exempt from the tourist rule, as there are tourists everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel