Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:43 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
This is partly, I would even say mildly true but most, if not all, speakers and electronic equipment on most aircraft are designed to be resistant to HERF (High Energy Radio Frequency). There are still some older aircraft whose cockpit speakers are susceptible to cell phone noise. The A300/A310 is one whose speakers just love to amplify every stray radio frequency signal. Despite that, you have to be very close to the cockpit (pretty much inside of it) before you'll have that effect.

Believe it or not, one of the main reasons you're not allowed to use your phone in the air is an FCC-regulation more than an FAA regulation. Because you're way up high in the sky, your phone can literally be bouncing signals off hundreds of towers at a time and the FCC doesn't like that.

As far as the remainder of the electronic devices, there is no precedent to suggest any of them are capable of causing harm to an aircraft. In fact, it's not even ILLEGAL to use them. The FAA and the FCC have no restrictions against using electronic devices below 10,000 feet. The restrictions come strictly from the airline carrier who are allowed to make up rules of their own.

Cell Phones on Airplanes
Aircell is currently installing their GoGo 4G wireless in our 319's. We just finished the prototype for the STC on the first plane. One of the things they did was bring in an FAA rep to go through every single electronic system as they bombarded us with super concentrated RF emmissions.

They brought in generators, amplifiers, transmitters, and all kinds of stuff to cook us with. While inside the aircraft, the rep said we would feel a warm sensation, but don't worry. It's a non-ionizing radiation. Great, we're trapped in the world's biggest microwave oven, but don't worry.

Anyhow, the end result was zero affect on any aircraft systems with more power than any load of passengers could ever put out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
There have been more plane crashes where people survive than crashes where everyone dies just to let everyone know. Many crashes especially ones at slow speed on landings are survivable.

As for the electronics these days the main reason is so that people PAY ATTENTION to the safety briefing and that if there is an emergency they are paying attention. Its on landing and takeoff when you need to have the devices off those are the two most dangerous parts of the flight when accidents occur the most.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
This is partly, I would even say mildly true but most, if not all, speakers and electronic equipment on most aircraft are designed to be resistant to HERF (High Energy Radio Frequency). There are still some older aircraft whose cockpit speakers are susceptible to cell phone noise. The A300/A310 is one whose speakers just love to amplify every stray radio frequency signal. Despite that, you have to be very close to the cockpit (pretty much inside of it) before you'll have that effect.

Believe it or not, one of the main reasons you're not allowed to use your phone in the air is an FCC-regulation more than an FAA regulation. Because you're way up high in the sky, your phone can literally be bouncing signals off hundreds of towers at a time and the FCC doesn't like that.

As far as the remainder of the electronic devices, there is no precedent to suggest any of them are capable of causing harm to an aircraft. In fact, it's not even ILLEGAL to use them. The FAA and the FCC have no restrictions against using electronic devices below 10,000 feet. The restrictions come strictly from the airline carrier who are allowed to make up rules of their own.

Cell Phones on Airplanes
Actually that's not even accurate at all

Sec. 91.21 — Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft: (1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or
(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.
(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to—
(1) Portable voice recorders;
(2) Hearing aids;
(3) Heart pacemakers;
(4) Electric shavers; or
(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.
(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used. In the case of other aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other operator of the aircraft.

I can hear thru the radio on my plane if a pax in back left their cell phone on sometimes. It comes across as a screeching sound, like loud static. It happens if their phone tries to transmit.

10,000 feet is classified as a "sterile" period. Minimum unnecessary communication between all parties, just what is necessary for safe flight. Hence probably why most carriers use it as a tripping point for allowing some electronic devices to be used.

If I'm using an iPad and see the glide slope needle fluctuate rapidly I can immediately shut it off...can't do that with a passenger back in row 15. They won't even know something is up.

Will PEDs (portable electronic devices) have much effect? No probably not, but no one really knows when you have 30 iPhones or iPads in a metal tube trying to transmit because the owners didn't turn them to airplane mode. For now do what you're told and don't try to out think it. The FAA makes the laws and we are paid to follow them. If someone refuses I boot them off the plane . Makes it easy for me...I don't care either way .

Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, for cell phones, if it keeps you from having to listen to one side of an incredibly boring, meaningless conversation. I say
Especially at high volumes as some folks tend to talk LOUDLY on their phones ... Imagine trying to take a nap and the person next to you is talking at high decibels ... Imagine they were speaking in another language at the top of their lungs? I realize that the rule to have the cell phones off is more for preventing interference with air traffic signals but I'm grateful that rude, obnoxious cell phone users are not ruining my flight

Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I really dont see how moving your seatback up 4" and bending over is going to save you
That's right, you really don't see it.

BTW, if your airline seat only moves 4", then you got a broken or jammed one. The norm is 12", and some do more... unless they are the rearmost row and are against the rear bulkhead.

Or were you deliberately lying, to try to make a point you couldn't win by telling the truth?

Quote:
from an airplane slamming into something at a few hundred miles per hour.
So now you believe that the only impacts a plane can suffer in an emergency, happen at "a few hundred miles per hour"?

What about the most common emergencies, where a plane has to land, say, with the wheels up and grinds to a stop fairly quickly; or on water (also wheels up) ditto (see Sullenberger), or lands in a plowed field somewhere, and runs out of field before it runs out of speed?

Bringing the seats upright and/or bending over are very wise things to do then... and not bad things to do, ever.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
some folks tend to talk LOUDLY on their phones ... :
ONLY in USA...

When you have been traveling overseas for a long while, you KNOW when you have arrived in USA by how loud people talk on their phones. IN many countries you will have people all around you talking whille on trains / subway / buses / taxi / cars.

You de-plane in USA and go through customs, then to Terminal and YELL, YELL, YELL is what you hear.

Safety and engineered design for crash protection is a GOOD idea to KEEP seatback in full upright position. Besides not crunching the legs of the person BEHIND you (ouch, that could be ME)

Old 08-21-2012, 10:00 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So I have to tune off my IPAD?

And yes I do agree with you on what maybe carried on a plane....
You probably have to turn your iPad off during takeoff/landing because the flight attendants wouldn't have time to check each passenger's device to make sure it's not a transmitting one.

You will have to use Settings to turn your iPad to "airplane mode" while you're flying (prevents any transmissions).

Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Worked pretty good for that tour group exploring the Hudson
Not a laughing matter but given the outcome I guess a little levity is in order, and your description of their er... "adventure" made me chuckle.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
ONLY in USA...

When you have been traveling overseas for a long while, you KNOW when you have arrived in USA by how loud people talk on their phones. IN many countries you will have people all around you talking whille on trains / subway / buses / taxi / cars.

You de-plane in USA and go through customs, then to Terminal and YELL, YELL, YELL is what you hear.

Safety and engineered design for crash protection is a GOOD idea to KEEP seatback in full upright position. Besides not crunching the legs of the person BEHIND you (ouch, that could be ME)
We found that Italians are just as loud on the cell phones as Americans, maybe even more so. They are also oblivious to traffic and gesture wildly while using them. I felt like I was in NYC.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,432 times
Quote:

Cell Phones on Airplanes
This may be true, but I doubt the signal will get that far up.
I work fairly close to the eNB and RNC industry and I have never heard of drive tests being able to pick up a cell tower that far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel