Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Law, if passed, would force airlines to offer separate seating area.

Seeing Christopher Walken in a movie gives me nightmares. And I think the saucer-eyed Puss-in-Boots who hangs out with Shrek is creepy, not cute.

So when I’m on an airplane that’s showing a films starring Walken or that darn cat, I try to read a book and ignore the movie entirely.

It doesn’t always work. So I understand why parents of small children worry when the in-flight screens drop down and a movie with potentially disturbing images pop up.

Rating the Family Friendly Flights Act - Well-Mannered Traveler - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 06:56 AM

520 posts, read 1,853,373 times
Would the special seating area be soundproof? That would be fantastic. You could shove all the babies and kids in there and actually have a peaceful flight.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:28 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
MY objection would be paying more for my ticket so that the airlaines can accomodate some OTHER passenger's rug rats... I look forward to the day when it's NOT all about the children...

Old 10-05-2007, 04:35 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
Would the special seating area be soundproof? That would be fantastic. You could shove all the babies and kids in there and actually have a peaceful flight.
AMEN to that!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
If you had asked me two years ago and I would have been ambivalent to opposed. But I now have a two year old child, and some of the movies shown on inter-continental flights would probably scare him to death. Heck, he gets upset watching a Curious George cartoon - just imagine what would happen with an R or PG rated movie with true violence would do.

The reality is, if passed, airlines won't segregate the children, but will change the movies shown to be G or PG rated. I'm sure some folks won't be thrilled with that, but then again, exposing children to disturbing material isn't a great option, either.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
The reality is, if passed, airlines won't segregate the children, but will change the movies shown to be G or PG rated. I'm sure some folks won't be thrilled with that, but then again, exposing children to disturbing material isn't a great option, either.
Since they can't please everyone that board their planes I'm guessing they will do what is best for their bottom line. They will cater to the largest and/or most profitable group of travelers. And I'm also guessing that FAR more adult Business Class travelers fly than two year old children...

Of course, there's always the possibility that a small group of self-centered parents (instead of BEING parents) will go whine to our spineless Congresspersons and they'll try to force the airlines to "do something for the children". And, then again, large groups of frequent fliers may exert their muscle to stop such nonsense. Stay tuned. Could be interesting...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 10-06-2007 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: I'm in just that kinda mood...

Old 10-06-2007, 08:35 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Since they can't please everyone that board their planes I'm guessing they will do what is best for their bottom line. They will cater to the largest and/or most profitable group of travelers. And I'm also guessing that FAR more adult Business Class travelers fly than two year old children...
My guess is the airlines will take the path of least resistance. Unless forced to take action, they won't change their behavior. But if faced with the option of showing a G rated moving or providing separate space for families, they are going to opt for the G rated movie. It just makes economic sense.

As for me, most of my traveling is business-related. But I really have very little to say on which planes I fly. My company is paying for my travel, they choose the airlines and negotiate the prices. I'm pretty sure that they aren't going to care one bit about what movie is being shown on the flight. And, to be honest, I wouldn't pay one red cent more for a flight because it was showing a "better" movie, either.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:17 AM

Rfb, I think you've got something there; airlines will take the path of least resistence. But I also believe they're more likely to want to keep their largest customer base happy. Albeit, inflight movies are probably not a big deal for most passengers; they don't factor much in our choice of airline. I'm just getting tired of the idea that everything we do in the U.S. revolves around young children. I long for the days when "children were seen and not heard"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel