Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times

Advertisements

thinking about going to philadelphia from minnesota for christmas. here's the problem though. there's three kids. so how do you go about christmas shopping? do you leave the gifts at home and when you come back, let the kids open them up. but that messes up the christmas spirit. do you go shopping in philly and just ship the gifts back? which would be way too much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 03:58 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I take, or order online and have it shipped directly to where we are going to be. If we are driving we find spot for it in the car somewhere. Often I wind up shipping a box to/from if we are flying. Now that Southwest flys to/from atlanta we check the gifts.

PS. Small stuff, nothing to big...

Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
We used to travel every Christmas to my Grandparents house on Christmas day. We left at 2am every Christmas Day (Dad was a preacher so he had to do Christmas Eve services)
We got to open one gift Christmas Eve then during the mid day stop we got to open another. Surprisingly they were always travel games! (laugh now but it took us years to figure that out)

Now we were in a car so it was easy to pack the presents in the car and take it with us.

We would then have another Christmas at my Grandparents on the 26th.

I don't know the dates that your traveling but you might was to think about having some gifts mailed to your destination in Philly. Throw a few silly decorations in the box too. I sent my son a Charley Brown tree once in a box. He got a kick out of it.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:38 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
The christmas spirit has nothing to do with gifts. Your kids will be fine.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
thinking about going to philadelphia from minnesota for christmas. here's the problem though. there's three kids. so how do you go about christmas shopping? do you leave the gifts at home and when you come back, let the kids open them up. but that messes up the christmas spirit. do you go shopping in philly and just ship the gifts back? which would be way too much money.
We used to take several small gifts for my child to open on Christmas with us when traveling to see our inlaws. Anything larger, she opened them before the trip. Are you visiting family? If so, they will probably have gifts for the kids, as well. We always brought back what we could and shipped the rest. Don't forget your Christmas stockings if you do that tradition.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa;2614902[B
7]I take, or order online and have it shipped directly to where we are going to be.[/b] If we are driving we find spot for it in the car somewhere. Often I wind up shipping a box to/from if we are flying. Now that Southwest flys to/from atlanta we check the gifts.

PS. Small stuff, nothing to big...

Yes! I had forgotten about that. Did that many times and would wrap the gifts when we arrived, if wrapping done by the store was too large an expense.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:52 PM

864 posts, read 1,454,737 times
We've been traveling at Christmastime almost every year since I was in elementary school (I'm in college now). We usually go on vacation to Disney World or Disneyland, and Santa ALWAYS comes early to our house. My brother and I are the luckiest kids in town, since Santa makes a special trip just to bring us our gifts before Christmas!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
We used to take several small gifts for my child to open on Christmas
That's what we did last Christmas in France/Spain (for our adult kids, lol.)

If I had 3 young kids, I'd probably ship a few things in advance, nothing too big though.

I've only ever traveled out of town for Christmas a very few times, both as child and adult. I probably could count it on just one hand. Might have to get used to it though.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
We did the "away from home" thing once when the kids were small...NEVER, EVER again! My grandparents stopped by and picked up myself and the kids and took us to my mother's....hubby was coming after work with "Santa" stuff....well, he had to stay at work longer than expected, and then.....the car wouldn't start. I was beside myself! 2 young kids, and no "Santa" stuff AT ALL.
He eventually got the car running, but didn't get to my mom's until after midnight. Guess what...several toys HAD TO BE PUT TOGETHER. What a nightmare.
We NEVER left home for Christmas after that.....too much trouble!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
We did the "away from home" thing once when the kids were small...NEVER, EVER again! My grandparents stopped by and picked up myself and the kids and took us to my mother's....hubby was coming after work with "Santa" stuff....well, he had to stay at work longer than expected, and then.....the car wouldn't start. I was beside myself! 2 young kids, and no "Santa" stuff AT ALL.
He eventually got the car running, but didn't get to my mom's until after midnight. Guess what...several toys HAD TO BE PUT TOGETHER. What a nightmare.
We NEVER left home for Christmas after that.....too much trouble!
Yikes! I actually do prefer Christmas at home. It's just more peaceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel