Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,958,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I did not. Those areas are immediately south of Tallahassee, or in that general direction. I've heard Apalachichola is a cool little town. There's supposed to be a beautiful barrier island (St. Vincent, St. something) that you can catch a shuttle boat to from Apalachicola, if I'm not mistaken, and it is NOT crawling with tourists. But it doesn't offer much in the way of amenities, so you need to pack in your own stuff.
Apalach (as the locals call it) is about an hour and a half southeast of Tally. It is indeed a cool little town.
Best oysters ever.
St Vincent Island is an undeveloped wildlife refuge; you can only get there by boat, and yes you are right it is not crawling with tourists, and there are no amenities. I did the tour once, it was fascinating. While we were living in Port St Joe, a yearling red wolf swam to shore.
He was humanely trapped and taken some place else.

BTW I agree with you about Barcelona. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed my time there, but it is not the be-all-end-all. I think it gets all the hype because of the nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,457,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Yeah, if you mean that Lisbon is much better yes it is. (I am not English native so maybe I misunderstand)

Cambridge in England. I forgot to explain which one
OK. LOL. Wasn't sure. I've only been to London, England but lived in Cambridge, MA for a while.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:20 PM

27,427 posts, read 28,505,652 times
Quote:
Washington DC. Once is enough. Just to stand in front of all the historical places and take a picture of them, as in "oh, cool, I've seen this on TV a million times."
This is subjective, but Washington, D.C. is a city I consider to be somewhat underrated for visiting. There's a lot to see and do - it has the largest museum complex in the world, for example. I recommend visiting during the Cherry Blossom festival in the Spring.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:39 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,985,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I do not understand why tourists flock to Times Square and think it the epicenter of New York City. Is a lit-up TGIFridays really that big a draw?
Yeah ... I wasn't that impressed with Times Square but the Broadway shows were awesome I LOVED Manhattan though but Times Square is a bit overhyped in my opinion.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,310,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah ... I wasn't that impressed with Times Square but the Broadway shows were awesome I LOVED Manhattan though but Times Square is a bit overhyped in my opinion.
Times Square is certainly not NYC's best vista. One of my favorites on Manhattan is walking along the outline of Battery Park, seeing the Statue of Liberty, NJ, Brooklyn, the Staten Island ferries in motion, and catching a glimpse of the Verrazano Bridge. Actually, the views ONTO Manhattan are stunning - from Brooklyn Heights and from the Palisades promenade of NJ, immediately south of the George Washington Bridge. While I couldn't live in Manhattan, it is unique, fascinating, and really earns its stripes.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:17 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
As has been said, this is a very subjective topic, what one would think is strictly overrated another might think underrated: I have never been to anyplace I didn't enjoy but I do think Hawaii is a little overrated and NYC as well. For pure enjoyment and a wonderful feeling of what it is like to be an American, I think there is no place like Washington DC; San Francisco is just plain fun and funky. Los Angeles/Hollywood isn't that great and Epcot isn't as special as some would think..Now this is just my opinion...

Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Los Angeles/Hollywood isn't that great
You're entitled to think that. It depends on how you see it. LA is huge and many swaths of it are indeed vapid. Some vistas aren't. Have you ever descended into the city from the Angeles Crest Highway, seeing the skyline from the mountains where it's high enough to snow, or have you driven on Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu, or have you ridden a bike along the beach from Manhattan Beach to Redondo Beach (skip scuzzy Venice Beach), or have you driven through the beautiful neighborhoods of Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Brentwood and Pacific Palisades, many of which are woven into canyons? LA has become a world city, and is more important than San Francisco. With that, extremes are inevitable.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 10-07-2012 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,985,474 times
Quote:
Times Square is certainly not NYC's best vista. One of my favorites on Manhattan is walking along the outline of Battery Park, seeing the Statue of Liberty, NJ, Brooklyn, the Staten Island ferries in motion, and catching a glimpse of the Verrazano Bridge. Actually, the views ONTO Manhattan are stunning - from Brooklyn Heights and from the Palisades promenade of NJ, immediately south of the George Washington Bridge. While I couldn't live in Manhattan, it is unique, fascinating, and really earns its stripes.
I agree ... Manhattan is an awesome place to visit and there's so much more than just Times Square to explore

Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,478,931 times
Quote:
Overrrated destinations:

Bangkok, dirty and only temples worth it.
Barcelona, nothing special.
Washington DC, nothing special (just the famous places)
Cambridge, I expected more.

I can't remember more, I should give another oportunity to these cities
I add Miami, FL.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I add Miami, FL.
It is slightly overrated. It's basically just beaches, if you don't do the nightlife. But the beaches are very good. Way better than Barcelona's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel