Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2016, 07:49 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,286 times

Advertisements

Disney. I guess someone likes it but it's an epic waste of money and time in my opinion.

NYC.

I don't like crowds though so I'm probably in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 08:27 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
I didn't think Disney was something for adults to consider as worthy of time spent, it is mainly for children and by extension a family to spend time doing something that is kid focused.

Could be wrong though, we don't have kids so never had any interest in Disney.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:53 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,286 times
We have friends who don't have kids and go every year. I'm dreading it when mine start begging to go lol. I wasn't a fan as a kid so I'm guessing it's not any better as an adult.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:38 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,648 times
For me personally, all of those parks are overrated. I have never felt any interest to visit Disney, Six Flags, Universals or whatever. I know many people who like it very much though. Instead, I visit National Parks.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:14 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
For me personally, all of those parks are overrated. I have never felt any interest to visit Disney, Six Flags, Universals or whatever. I know many people who like it very much though. Instead, I visit National Parks.
Pretty much agree with it.
Excruciating wait in long lines to take a 45 second ride. Over priced and about all parks provide the same roller coaster type rides.

Some water parks are good for occasional visit but again long lines and long wait kills half of the fun.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:26 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
For me Aruba..vastly over rated
So agree! At the time, we picked this over the FL Keys per a recommendation.

Thank God we all don't like the same things. To argue over someone not liking what you like is pretty dang arrogant.

I wasn't crazy about Paris, dog crap everywhere! And I stayed at George V Four Seasons. I'm glad I saw it but won't go back. French History I find not nearly as interesting as the Roman Empire. Now ROME I LOVED, can't get there enough.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:33 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I would say Vegas is near the top of the list of UNEXPLORED travel places. People think "gambling, the strip, that's all there is" but that couldn't be further from the truth. I go about 3 times a year, never gamble, and have still not done everything and seen everything.

Oh so true. I had a friend who had been here twice before I met her. She actually said to me, I've done the strip, the town is just desert. Last trip she was here to look into expanding her business. We were totally OFF strip, out to the national parks etc. She said it reminded here of LA or Palm Springs. Now they are going to make this their home base.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:31 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post

Disney near here is a nightmare. $120.00 adult admission. Two hour wait to get in. Sometimes all the parking lots are full and you are just turned away. One hour wait for rides. Not to mention the congested freeways.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:25 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Disney near here is a nightmare. $120.00 adult admission. Two hour wait to get in. Sometimes all the parking lots are full and you are just turned away. One hour wait for rides. Not to mention the congested freeways.
I have a friend who just got back from Disney Orlando with a group of seniors. They LOVED it. And I have no idea why. They have pictures of themselves in front of that fairy tale castle and they even put that on facebook so they must have liked that. There were some attractions that she raved about but it's so boring to me that I wasn't paying attention and can't tell you.

My friend (mid 70s) plans to go back again next year with her 76 year old man friend. That's how much she loved it. And these are educated retirees. I don't get it. I MUCH prefer real places instead of fake.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:44 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,692 times
I've gotten to travel quite a bit in my life. I will start by saying that there is not one single place I have ever been that I wouldn't go back to. But with limited time and money, there are a few that stand out as much less appealing.

-Hawaii. I just don't get it. Sure it's pretty, but "pretty" doesn't make it a worthwhile destination. I can't for the life of me understand why my fellow Americans are so obsessed with this place. You buy an expensive ticket and travel for hours and hours and when you arrive you haven't even gone anywhere--you're in the same d*mn country you were in when you started!

-Cancun. The city has no heart, it's just a bunch of resorts. The whole experience from the moment you arrive in the airport seems designed to allow Americans to say they have "been to Mexico" while almost pathologically avoiding anything remotely Mexican. Hell, many of the shops wouldn't even take their own country's money! They required US dollars for payment. Considering an all inclusive resort trip to Cancun? Don't! Save yourself a few thousand dollars and get wasted on cheap tequila in your own home. The experience will be just as "Mexican" as what you would find in Cancun.

-Disney. It was a fun place to go as a kid (well, Epcot anyway), but I don't see why people would go multiple times or why adults would be interested. I also find it almost horrifying how much planning some people put into their visits and how that sort of thing has become almost necessary since the last time I was there 15 years ago. I have friends who took their honeymoon to Disney, and they planned out exactly what attractions they were going to visit at what exact times each day and exactly where they would eat at exactly what times MONTHS in advance. If it's not a Michelin starred restaurant there is no way I am interested in making reservations months ahead of time.

I've never been to Vegas, but if I had I bet it would be on my list as well. The people watching would surely be fun, but beyond that it doesn't seem to have much of anything to offer that would interest me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel