Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 11:11 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,750,725 times

Advertisements

I went to Lisbon in December for 3 days and spent NYE there. I really enjoyed it but the time was short I've decided to go back this year.

The trip will be anywhere betwen 10 and 20 days' likely on the shorter end of that (10-12 days).

I want to go go:

Lisbon
Faro region for the beaches
Porto

Question 1: Suggestions on what order I should go in? I think I'll put Lisbon in the middle, but was trying to decide whether to start or end the trip at the beach and do:

Faro-Lisbon-Porto, or,
Porto-Lisbon-Faro

I'm looking at the beginning of September.

Question 2: Suggestions on number of days you'd spend in each place? For simplicity sake let's say I'm doing 10 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 11:48 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,177,920 times
If I am going somewhere I have been before, I'm a fan of starting off the trip in that city. Makes it easier to acclimate, you have a good idea of how to get around town, what the vibe is, etc.

Just my thoughts.

You are lucky, I was in Lisbon about a year ago, we loved it so much. If you have a chance, take a bus ride to Ericeira, one of the coolest places ever, got that tip from a local. Try this place!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Portugal.html

Old 02-26-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
If I am going somewhere I have been before, I'm a fan of starting off the trip in that city. Makes it easier to acclimate, you have a good idea of how to get around town, what the vibe is, etc.

Just my thoughts.

You are lucky, I was in Lisbon about a year ago, we loved it so much. If you have a chance, take a bus ride to Ericeira, one of the coolest places ever, got that tip from a local. Try this place!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Portugal.html

Thanks for the suggestion RE: Ericeira. I was thinking Lisbon would be in the middle of the trip because it's literally in between Faro and Porto...

Old 02-26-2017, 11:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
We enjoyed a stay private B&B in Douro Valley (We were the only guests / residents at a winery... NO ONE around, great views, very peaceful (Which the touristy / ex-pat / cities of Portugal are not). We used the winery stay to access Porto / western remote beaches via day trips.

We also really enjoyed the parts of Portugal along Spanish frontier.
12 Top-Rated Castles in Portugal | PlanetWare
https://theculturetrip.com/europe/po...s-in-portugal/

Contact locals in each region and find out their favorite places. We were led to some real treasures by staying with locals. (private stays, not B&B, definitely not Airbnb) Locals are hard to find in Southern areas that have been overwhelmed by UK expats.

Hotels... hope you like smoke Even NON-Smoking hotels are saturated with decades of smoke, and likely the night manager will smoke through a few packs / night while seated in the kitchen, parlour, desk, hallway, front porch, veranda under your room...

Old 02-26-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We enjoyed a stay private B&B in Douro Valley (We were the only guests / residents at a winery... NO ONE around, great views, very peaceful (Which the touristy / ex-pat / cities of Portugal are not). We used the winery stay to access Porto / western remote beaches via day trips.

We also really enjoyed the parts of Portugal along Spanish frontier.
12 Top-Rated Castles in Portugal | PlanetWare
https://theculturetrip.com/europe/po...s-in-portugal/

Contact locals in each region and find out their favorite places. We were led to some real treasures by staying with locals. (private stays, not B&B, definitely not Airbnb) Locals are hard to find in Southern areas that have been overwhelmed by UK expats.

Hotels... hope you like smoke Even NON-Smoking hotels are saturated with decades of smoke, and likely the night manager will smoke through a few packs / night while seated in the kitchen, parlour, desk, hallway, front porch, veranda under your room...
Thanks for the recommendation...I will look into the B&Bs. I've been curious about those. I think I can book these with points. Or at least I hope I can as I need to.

Smoke is something I feel like comes with the territory when visiting certain parts of Europe. I couldn't escape it Madrid or Barcelona or Lisbon either. At least not in the streets and not even in certain restaurants/cafes since it filters in from the outside. I can't sleep in a smoke filled room though. Luckily I didn't have any issues with this place which I stayed in over New Years:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Portugal.html

Old 02-26-2017, 03:08 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,804 times
If you decide to lengthen your trip, definitely adding Madeira. It is very beautiful.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
You don't have to be Catholic to walk all or part of the Camino Portugués. I know an agnostic who spends a part of every year hiking different parts of the Pilgrim's Ways on the Iberian peninsula.

The Camino Portugués | The Confraternity of Saint James

Old 02-26-2017, 06:34 PM

311 posts, read 467,642 times
The Azore Islands, off the coast of Portugal. Several islands, that I wish now that I had traveled to, while my husband was stations at Terceria Air Base. Check it out on line. Breath taking landscape.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:14 PM

28 posts, read 17,320 times
I think you can end your trip at the beach because lastly you need relaxation and there is no place better than beach..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel