Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 AM

24 posts, read 63,490 times

Advertisements

hi everyone, i'm planning on driving from chicago to san francisco in one week via I-80 sometime in december. i heard it's boring, but direct. i've also heard that in wyoming during the winter, stuff can get pretty real and there are really bad winds/blizzards through the mountains.

can anyone attest to the best route from chicago to sf? i'm planning on going chi > omaha > cheyenne > SLC > reno > SF via I80, but open to more scenic/practical routes.

suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva00x0 View Post
...planning on going chi > omaha > cheyenne > SLC > reno > SF via I80
but open to more scenic/practical routes. suggestions?
This time of year you stick close to the main road (I-80) with an eye on the weather.

Quote:
i heard it's boring, but direct. i've also heard that in wyoming during the winter,
stuff can get pretty real and there are really bad winds/blizzards through the mountains.
All true. Have some leeway in your schedule in case you need to park for a day or two.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I suspect you will be bored. If you find yourself getting sleepy roll down your windows. If you start getting real warm and have the urge to take off your clothes, hypothermia may be setting in. If you can't see the road and everything is white, you are either in a blizzard or on your way to heaven.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 AM

haha gengis and thanks mr. rational. all great suggestions. the farthest west i've ever been is colorado for 2 hours and i lived in west texas for a few months. so i'm super excited to see such exotic places like wyoming and utah and nevada.

any tips for mountain driving? i drive a 2009 VW tiguan, without 4 wheel drive. am i screwed, or should i be okay as long as i pack chains?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
It's long. It's boring. It's desolate. It gets snow in June...

You will need chains. Get them, know how to put them on, and know how to drive with them on. It's easy if you know how, but you don't want to learn on the side of the road at midnight in a blizzard...

Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 AM

wikiHow/eHow, here i come. I also have a really good trusted mechanic who will be able to help me with tuning up before i make the journey and teaching my dumb ass how to drive with chains. i've talked to others and heard that I 70/ I 40 are also viable routes. has you or anyone ever driven to SF on those? I know they would be less direct but more scenic/safer, respectively (from what i hear)\

edit: also should mention, i am from illinois. So boring drives are really nothing new to me, even for many hours. I've made the drive from chicago > denver, which is hours and HOURS of BORING NE/IA flatlands, but i'm assuming it gets a lil better after CO.

Last edited by Siva00x0; 10-31-2012 at 12:00 PM..

Old 10-31-2012, 02:16 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
wikiHow/eHow, here i come. I also have a really good trusted mechanic who will be able to help me with tuning up before i make the journey and teaching my dumb ass how to drive with chains. i've talked to others and heard that I 70/ I 40 are also viable routes. has you or anyone ever driven to SF on those? I know they would be less direct but more scenic/safer, respectively (from what i hear)\

edit: also should mention, i am from illinois. So boring drives are really nothing new to me, even for many hours. I've made the drive from chicago > denver, which is hours and HOURS of BORING NE/IA flatlands, but i'm assuming it gets a lil better after CO.
Before I went out and bought a set of tire chains (that you'll likely use once or twice tops), I'd check the chain laws for the states along I-80.

Wyoming's chain law defines two levels of winter driving conditions.
Level 1 is "chains or adequate snow tires" or all-wheel drive.
Level 2 is chains or all-wheel drive vehicles with adequate snow tires.
Chain law

I-80 doesn't enter Colorado at all. If you're trying to stay on the freeway, I personally wouldn't recommend going through Colorado. Coming through here could add a couple hundred miles to your drive because there's no direct way to the Bay Area. You'd have to take I-70 to I-15 and then head north to Salt Lake or take I-15 south to I-40 and then cut across to I-5 to get there. That and I-70 is both much higher (11,000ft vs 8600ft) and more heavily congested than I-80.

The wind & ground blizzards are your biggest worry on I-80 in Wyoming. The freeway itself isn't terribly technical. The high spot is about 8,600 feet between Cheyenne and Laramie at the southern end of the Laramie Mountains. From Cheyenne the climb is gradual and gentle. The west side is down into Laramie is much more windy and has a steeper grade.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM

thank you for that helpful tip. I recognize 80 doesn't go thru CO (and i'm not exactly interested in passing thru there), just had it as an example

what's the speed limit in WY along 80?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
thank you for that helpful tip. I recognize 80 doesn't go thru CO (and i'm not exactly interested in passing thru there), just had it as an example

what's the speed limit in WY along 80?
75mph

Old 10-31-2012, 02:26 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Watch out for black ice in the west on the I80. I have seen the wind blow hundreds of vehicles off the road on that super slick ice. If you start to see a few vehicles in the ditch, upside down, on the wrong side of the road etc, SLOW WAYYY DOWN!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel