Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

So, there is a good chance I landed a new job starting Nov 1st. If I get it, I want to travel for about 4 weeks before I start working.

Little bit about myself, I'm a single 27 year old male in pretty good shape. I've been to Europe, Australia, and all over N. America.

So far, I'm thinking China or Egypt. Since I'm going solo, I'm going to on with a tour. I went on a tour in Europe. I didn't like all aspects of the tour but I was able to see way more than I would have if I went solo and I felt safe. Considering that was Europe and I'm thinking China or especially Egypt...safety is important.

Tips...advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
If you've got a decent budget, how about a Chile-Peru (Machu Pichu)- Galapagos-Easter Island route? You could probably piece together a few different group tours through the region, and maybe add on Argentina.

The region is heading into spring, and generally pretty safe.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 PM

216 posts, read 449,037 times
I have a good friend that went to China earlier this year, and didn't really like it. She's chinese, but like a lot of North Americans doesn't speak the language. She said it was confusing, busy, a little cold in attitudes and not really that fun of a trip.
Just one opinion, but in my mind unless you had a business contact there, why would you go?
You can get a much richer experience going to other places in SE Asia, and your dollar will stretch much further. Try Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos for an excellent time. Every single friend i've known that has gone there has nothing but good things to say about the region.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I'd second South America. Maybe Argentina--it seems like it would have a lot to offer.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:01 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
I third SA, specifically Argentina...Buenos Aries, then across the Plata River to Uruguay. Maybe fly from EZE/BA to Santiago, Chile over the Andes. On a clear day it is worth the price and trip.

South to Ushuaia, Terra Del Fuego, Fin del Mundo...etc, etc. It's their 'spring' now.

Have been a few times, and a couple dozen times to BA on biz.
I would go again before I considered China, but just my 50Cts.
GL, mD

Old 09-27-2012, 02:32 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I think going on a trip to China is a great idea. China has much to offer a tourist and one gets a taste of a completely different culture. I spent nearly 4 months in China working and traveling and enjoyed it very much.

Another option which has been already mentioned is Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands (which are part of Ecuador). I spent a year in Ecuador and visited the Galapagos Islands during that time. Again a worthwhile place to visit culturally and environmentally.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
are you in the inland empire? if so, you can get good deals on next day flights out of LAX. prolly under $1000 to fly to hong kong tomorrow. i do next day/same day flights outta there all the time. can get a visa to china while you're in hong kong, pretty easy. weather is going to be getting chilly in the northern part of the country near the end of your trip, so might want to consider staying further south. you know what you want to see? since you only have a month, i'd recommend hk/macau, the rest of the PRD region, guilin/yangshao, yunnan(kunming, dali, lijiang, misc), then northern vietnam (sapa, detian falls, hanoi, halong bay)

Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
How about Jordan? It's the easiest place to go to in the Arab world, and there are some awesome experiences in the desert waiting for you. Also, from Jordan, I think it is easy and safe to cross over and spend some time visiting Israel, too. The costs are pretty reasonable, the Jordanians are wonderfully welcoming and generous hosts, and most people can speak English. And, above all, you'll have a good first-hand look at what the Muslim world is really like. It is wonderfully safe, in terms of personal safety and health hazards. It's much, much nicer than Egypt.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How about Jordan? It's the easiest place to go to in the Arab world, and there are some awesome experiences in the desert waiting for you. Also, from Jordan, I think it is easy and safe to cross over and spend some time visiting Israel, too. The costs are pretty reasonable, the Jordanians are wonderfully welcoming and generous hosts, and most people can speak English. And, above all, you'll have a good first-hand look at what the Muslim world is really like. It is wonderfully safe, in terms of personal safety and health hazards. It's much, much nicer than Egypt.
A combined Jordan and Israel is a pretty good idea. In Jordan one can visit Petra as well other interesting places and in Israel one shouldn't miss visiting Jerusalem as well many other places. One can visit the Dead Sea and Red Sea from either Jordan or Israel.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Amsterdam!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel