Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times

Advertisements

I don't know if there are any bargains to get in other countries.
Prices in tourist areas are sure to be higher than in others.
Mostly anything from around the world that is worthwhile is probably available in major cities.

Are there any bargains to be had?
Hats, handmade sweaters, jewelery, etc.

Are there places in surrounding towns which offer better prices than in the major European cities?

There was a really fun travel show in which a guy had a shop in New York City and traveled the world for shops offering unique goods to stock it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
I have rarely seen anything I would regard as a bargain. (Talking mostly about Europe here). Now I only buy things that are unique, or memorable, or particularly characteristic of the area. And I don't feel compelled to bring back something- if I see it, fine; if not, I have photos and memories.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I have rarely seen anything I would regard as a bargain. (Talking mostly about Europe here). Now I only buy things that are unique, or memorable, or particularly characteristic of the area. And I don't feel compelled to bring back something- if I see it, fine; if not, I have photos and memories.
I think for bargains one has to go Africa, the Middle East, Asia or South America to non-tourist areas. I doubt one is going to find many bargains in Europe.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
I was told once upon a time that buying leather goods in Italy was a good bargain but I don't know if that still holds true these days

Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Sure, but you have to find local markets and get well away from touristy spots. Lots of it is food and must be consumed immediately.

UK - WWII and cold war antiques like gas masks and canteens.
France - LV stuff. Bread and cheese.
Belgium - Pommes Frites
Netherlands - Pot, Mushrooms.
Germany - Local beer.
Austria - Kasekrainer
Slovakia - 2ndhand work clothing from thrift stores, beer.
Hungary - Not much. Maybe liqour.
Switzerland - 2ndhand designer clothing from thrift stores.
Italy - Pizza. Maybe leather products in the right town.
Greece - Nada.
Spain - Nada.
Portugal - Ceramic tiles.
Taiwan - Shoes, clothing, electronics; especially flash drives and memory chips.
Japan - Nada.
India - Fabric/textiles. Saris. Especially in the north.
Maldives - Nada.
Malaysia - Brand-name knock-off purses/bags and some clothing.
Thailand - Nada.
Cambodia - Nada.
Vietnam - Tailored clothing, especially jackets/coats.
China - Nada.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I agree with Sponger that finding favorite food is one of the more easily obtained bargains. And yes, sometimes you just have to consume it there, but not always.

So many people say that Italian olive oil is the best, but that's not always true. It is usually the priciest.

I don't know how it is now, but Greece used to be great for inexpensive, delicious olive oil. We brought a bunch of it back in July 2001, our cans clanking through security, and then two months later 9/11 happened, forever changing the way we travel.

For Spain, our favorite bring-home item is something few Americans seem to like: Anchovies (in jars). We just adore them. During other trips, we have brought them back from southern France. We brought a bunch back from Spain last year and our son will bring more home at Christmas.
We also happen to consider Spanish olive oil to be pretty good stuff.

Finally, Herbes de Provence are way cheaper in France than they are here, and you can buy them in larger amounts. Look on the jar or bag to make sure it is really French. I make my own, but it's nice when our son brings us some.

If you get up REALLY early in the morning, and know your stuff, you might find some good bargains at the London markets. I went with a friend who was an antique expert, and she helped me find a couple nice things at the Bermondsey market. But you can't just mosey on over whenever you feel like it. The good stuff goes fast. It was still dark when we left our hotel.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 AM

633 posts, read 1,735,035 times
In my opinion the FRESH olive oil in italy is the best, too. Greece for example is buying lots of olives from the italians and sell it as olive oil from greece. FRESH olive oil is a bit expensive, right. But if you buy or choose the right one - you will fall in love with it!!! Forget Bertolli :-)

Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
When I say "nada" it just means I don't know of anything. I'm not cultured enough to tell olive oil from canola, let alone other olive oils.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:20 PM

223 posts, read 246,430 times
Morocco has some very beautiful ceramics and leather goods that are a very good value, especially if you can haggle. I think that most place that have a strong artisanal community you will be able to find good things. Otherwise local foods. Just don't go to another country and buy something that was made in China (unless, perhaps your in China).

Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
Greece for example is buying lots of olives from the italians and sell it as olive oil from greece.
Some Greeks told me the exact opposite. A recent article below confirms this. Other countries take credit for the Greek olive oil.

"We are working just for the Italians. They take our product and they bottle it with other, cheaper bottles, and they make a very good product which is sold everywhere," says George Eliades.

Italy and Spain have larger and more efficient companies. In addition to using Greek olive oil, they also import from places such as Tunisia. The freshest and purest stuff is bought at the source.

Another what to buy, where: I found beautiful blue and white ceramics in Galicia, Spain. I would not exactly call them cheap, but buying them at the source probably saved me some money, and they were less expensive than you might see in a typical store in Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel